1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 08:56
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I take it your particular church does not practise infant baptism; or does not believe it is sacramental?
    Correct, however we do have dedications that highlight the child as a "gift from God." Having said that there is nothing that would prevent the individual minister from baptizing the infant he wanted to. It would be an individual's choice. This most often might happen in a hospital situation. I have done this, but for me , it represented a statement of God's love for the child and parents and not a ritual of salvation.
  2. London
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 08:581 edit
    The term 'saved' is ambiguous here. Saved - from what? If it refers to being saved from eternal damnation, then yes, the logical space is exhausted. But being saved from eternal damnation does not automatically mean heaven.

It is true that 'salvation' is also used to refer to heaven itself, as a positive state. But then the complement of the set of 'eventual' is also confusing because of purgatory (where, yes, it is eventual heaven).
    My point being - the non-existence of the middle space is, by no means, a logical necessity based on the teachings of the Church. Some (very few of whom are Catholic) theologians hold the view, as Scribs does, that there is no middle space.
  3. London
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 08:59
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Correct, however we do have dedications that highlight the child as a "gift from God." Having said that there is nothing that would prevent the individual minister from baptizing the infant he wanted to. It would be an individual's choice. This most often might happen in a hospital situation. I have done this, but for me , it represented a statement of God's love for the child and parents and not a ritual of salvation.
    Am I right in assuming that your church practises adult baptism, then? Or is there no baptism at all?
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 12:12
    Am I right in assuming that your church practises adult baptism, then? Or is there no baptism at all?
    Yes, they do. They also recognize baptisms from other churches, so even if you were baptized as an infant in the Catholic church, they would not make you be rebaptized to be a member. That is very unusual in my denomination.
  5. London
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 13:06
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Yes, they do. They also recognize baptisms from other churches, so even if you were baptized as an infant in the Catholic church, they would not make you be rebaptized to be a member. That is very unusual in my denomination.
    How does your denomination view original sin?
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 13:28
    Wordnet:

frequently = many times at short intervals
    Literalist. 😉
  7. London
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 13:44
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Literalist. 😉
    Of course not - I'm Catholic! 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree