1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 09:29
    This OP is intended to firstly reopen some debate on religious child sacrifice, in particular the Jehovah’s Witness practice of permitting a child to die rather than allow a blood transfusion to be given. I assume we are all fundamentally opposed to child sacrifice and would stand against any religion expecting its adherents to follow such practices...???

Hmm, on that note then my second objective is to address a glib, ill-informed and decidedly uneducated comment made by @Philokalia on page 1 post 5 of Thread 180149 which was initiated by one of our resident Jehovah’s Witenesses @Galveston75

The Christian @Philokalia was (for some spurious reason) defending the Jehovah’s Witness Galveston75’s position on salvation and made this comment:

Maybe they associate the confidence in their salvation with their confidence in the goodness of God and their following of the Bible as it is written, so it becomes a sensitive topic for them.

“The goodness of God”

So here we have a poster who claims to be educated in “Christian tradition” and in “philosophy” and who also claims that morality and truth are “objective”, describing the nature of a God who demands child sacrifice as ... “goodness”.

Thoughts on either point, any sub points, principled posting even...

http://ajwrb.org/the-watchtower-and-child-sacrifice
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 14:47
    More gossip.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 15:16
    @sonship said
    More gossip.
    Welcome to the thread sonship and thank you for your contribution.
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 15:39
    @divegeester said
    This OP is intended to firstly reopen some debate on religious child sacrifice, in particular the Jehovah’s Witness practice of permitting a child to die rather than allow a blood transfusion to be given. I assume we are all fundamentally opposed to child sacrifice and would stand against any religion expecting its adherents to follow such practices...???

Hmm, on that ...[text shortened]... t, any sub points, principled posting even...

http://ajwrb.org/the-watchtower-and-child-sacrifice
    Are they not just following along with Abraham murdering his son, Isaac ?
    Would you murder anyone that god told you to murder ?
    I would not, but that is just me.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 18:48
    @caissad4

Did God have him murder his son or did he stop him from doing so?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 19:272 edits
    @caissad4 said
    As far as I recall, yes I’m pretty certain, but I will double check...I believe Isaac features quite heavily in subsequent episodes.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 19:281 edit
    Where is the usually ubiquitous Philokalia one wonders...I see he’s playing his chess but is keeping away from the forums. Wisely I dare to say.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 19:48
    @sonship said
    More gossip.
    You think the issues surrounding theJehovah's Witnesses' stance on blood transfusions, people dying as a result of it, including children, others being critical of it, and others being ignorant of it, is all "gossip"?
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Taken by aliens
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 20:061 edit
    @fmf said
    You think the issues surrounding theJehovah's Witnesses' stance on blood transfusions, people dying as a result of it, including children, others being critical of it, and others being ignorant of it, is all "gossip"?
    Mental health being a factor in suicide is also gossip, so I hear...

Edit: Sonship will be along shortly to tell us Jesus has made mental health obsolete.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 23:43
    I don't know how many children of JW's have died as a result of not having a blood transfusion, but I know how many have died at the consent of the Supreme Court and the practice of abortionist. In America alone, 60 million. World wide, God only knows.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 23:49
    @secondson said
    I don't know how many children of JW's have died as a result of not having a blood transfusion, but I know how many have died at the consent of the Supreme Court and the practice of abortionist. In America alone, 60 million. World wide, God only knows.
    Religious people letting their children die because of their religious convictions and their perceptions of divine wishes about available medical treatment are doing so in order to either [1] please their God or [2] not anger their God [depending on how you perceive their action in relation to their God].

That is textbook "child sacrifice" and, with it being done for religious reasons, it does not analogize well with terminating pregnancies, your principled stance on abortion notwithstanding.
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 23:59
    @fmf said
    Religious people letting their children die because of their religious convictions and their perceptions of divine wishes about available medical treatment are doing so in order to either [1] please their God or [2] not anger their God [depending on how you perceive their action in relation to their God].

That is textbook "child sacrifice" and, with it being done for religiou ...[text shortened]... not analogize well with terminating pregnancies, your principled stance on abortion notwithstanding.
    Is there a law forbidding JW's from refusing to allow their children to have blood transfusions?

Using the term "child sacrifice" in connection with someone's religious beliefs is about as inflammatory as it gets, and yet you don't see how abortion, whether for religious reasons or not, isn't the greatest wholesale child sacrificing practice going on in the world today.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '19 00:04
    @secondson said
    Is there a law forbidding JW's from refusing to allow their children to have blood transfusions?
    I think there may be some legal basis for the authorities to step in and protect children from endangerment and the risk of death at the hands of their parents in some countries, yes.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '19 00:071 edit
    @secondson said
    Using the term "child sacrifice" in connection with someone's religious beliefs is about as inflammatory as it gets
    Letting a child die to either [1] please God or [2] not to anger God is "child sacrifice"; it's the death of a child in order to supposedly obey God. It is done in order to comply with religious rules in an effort to be "saved". Don't be squeamish about calling a spade a spade.
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    08 Mar '19 00:08
    @fmf said
    I think there may be some legal basis for the authorities to step in and protect children from endangerment and the risk of death at the hands of their parents in some countries, yes.
    Good. The JW's biblical reason for not doing blood transfusions is based in error.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree