1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 01:542 edits
    "In a land of great wealth, families must not live in hopeless poverty. In a land rich in harvest, children just must not go hungry. In a land of healing miracles, neighbours must not suffer and die unattended. In a great land of learning and scholars, young people must be taught to read and write."

Lyndon B. Johnson, Inaugural Address on Wednesday, January 20, 1965

What are the spiritual, moral, or philosophical dimensions to the debate about the extent to which it is the responsibility of a nation's legally established government to intervene to ensure that "children just must not go hungry" and take action on other similar assertions in Johnson's inaugural address?

http://www.thisnation.com/library/inaugural/johnson.html
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 02:03
    Originally posted by @fmf
    [b]"In a land of great wealth, families must not live in hopeless poverty. In a land rich in harvest, children just must not go hungry. In a land of healing miracles, neighbours must not suffer and die unattended. In a great land of learning and scholars, young people must be taught to read and write."

[i]Lyndon B. Johnson, Inaugural Address on Wednesday ...[text shortened]... must not go hungry" and take action on other similar assertions in Johnson's inaugural address?[/b]
    Why forget about people when they grow up?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 02:101 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Why not? Republicans like you love to dictate to women that every pregnancy they have must come to term, and yet you also refuse to fund welfare programs for those mothers who are single or, God forbid, non-white. You forget them the very minute they are born.

Stop being such a hypocrite.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 02:14
    [b]"In a land of great wealth, families must not live in hopeless poverty. In a land rich in harvest, children just must not go hungry. In a land of healing miracles, neighbours must not suffer and die unattended. In a great land of learning and scholars, young people must be taught to read and write."

[i]Lyndon B. Johnson, Inaugural Address on Wednesday ...[text shortened]... must not go hungry" and take action on other similar assertions in Johnson's inaugural address?[/b]
    Because conservatives would not be caught dead supporting their fellow human beings (especially the lowest rungs of society, because those have zero to offer them) because they view this as a "libtard" agenda.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 02:16
    I referred to "other similar assertions in Johnson's inaugural address" in the OP because I did not want to reproduce the whole text. And now I realize that I forgot to include a link to the transcript of the speech in my OP. So, I have added it. This thread is intended to be about more than just children, and is about society and government, democracy, and the welfare of the people.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 02:18
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Because conservatives would not be caught dead supporting their fellow human beings (especially the lowest rungs of society, because those have zero to offer them) because they view this as a "libtard" agenda.
    The question is: What are the spiritual, moral, or philosophical dimensions to the debate about the extent to which it is the responsibility of government to deliver on the assertions/aspirations made in LBJ's inaugural speech.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 02:19
    I referred to "other similar assertions in Johnson's inaugural address" in the OP because I did not want to reproduce the whole text. And now I realize that I forgot to include a link to the transcript of the speech in my OP. So, I have added it. This thread is intended to be about more than just children, and is about society and government, democracy, and the welfare of the people.
    Look at the destruction of black families after welfare was in acted and you will see it was not implemented well.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 02:21
    The question is: What are the spiritual, moral, or philosophical dimensions to the debate about the extent to which it is the responsibility of government to deliver on the assertions/aspirations made in LBJ's inaugural speech.
    You would be better served not by asking your question again, but instead actually responding to my answer.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 02:221 edit
    Look at the destruction of black families after welfare was in acted and you will see it was not implemented well.
    Any excuse to 'kick them to the curb', right?

And the "destruction of black families" is more the effect of how they've been mistreated by Republican administrations over the years. Don't shift the blame to those who are actually trying to help them.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 02:23
    Something on the spiritual, moral, or philosophical dimensions to the debate ~ what exactly would welfare "implemented well" be like, for example, and what would be the moral underpinning for it ~ would be more interesting and simple political assertions.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 02:25
    You would be better served not by asking your question again, but instead actually responding to my answer.
    If you want to sling mud at your political opponents, take it to Debates, Suzianne. I'd prefer this thread to be about the "spiritual" and moral side to deciding what a government's role should be.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 02:28
    And the "destruction of black families" is more the effect of how they've been mistreated by Republican administrations over the years.
    How should "black families" have been treated differently by the government and what would the spiritual/moral justification for those policies have been?
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 11:00
    Why do Americans insist on bringing their stupid American politics in every discussion, as if the rest of the world cares?
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 11:13
    In a land of healing miracles, neighbours must not suffer and die unattended.
    Why, in a country who people clearly and proudly say "In God we Trust", do they have hospitals?
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 22:33
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    Why, in a country who people clearly and proudly say "In God we Trust", do they have hospitals?
    and the most money who cANt even pass universal healthcARE laws....

Dumbs*** American thinking

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree