Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 May '11 02:12
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    In my library, I have a book I bought to read to my children when they
    were young. The title of the book is "The Children's Bible Story Book"
    retold by Anne de Graaf. I was wondering if all the stories in the Bible
    that we usually tell are truth or fiction. Perhaps some are true and others
    fiction or maybe some are partly fiction but based on fact. M ...[text shortened]... t the Jonah story was all fact and
    no fiction. Does anyone have any ideas on these stories?
    2 Timothy 3:16a - All scripture is given by inspiration of God,..
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 May '11 02:18
    Originally posted by josephw
    2 Timothy 3:16a - All scripture is given by inspiration of God,..
    2 Timothy is one of the 'Deutero-Pauline Epistles.' Most biblical scholars accept that it was a pseudepigraphical work and was not actually written by Paul.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 May '11 02:22
    Originally posted by rwingett
    😴
    :'(
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 May '11 02:25
    2 Timothy is one of the 'Deutero-Pauline Epistles.' Most biblical scholars accept that it was a pseudepigraphical work and was not actually written by Paul.
    Most Biblical scholars my arse.

Believe what you want.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 May '11 04:00
    I have to say, though, that the tree of knowledge being equated with agriculture may seem a little too restrictive. Upon reflection, I think the tree of knowledge represents technology in general. Or technological thinking. Agriculture is just the level of technological development that led to the irrevocable break with 'Eden.'

I think it works like thi ...[text shortened]... ack. Paradise had been lost. And mankind has been wandering through the wilderness ever since.
    I'll find a way to take credit for that version too. Nobody will ever know it was your idea...
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 May '11 11:18
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'll find a way to take credit for that version too. Nobody will ever know it was your idea...
    What the serpent/Satan represents is that technological mode of thinking. Once he ate from the tree mankind went from a holistic, cooperative and egalitarian mode of existence to an atomized, individualistic and competitive one. Technology, which led to agriculture, opened the pathway to private property and the specialization of labor, which, in turn, ushered in dominance hierarchies and the whole litany of evils that has followed in their wake.

The supposedly benign technologies of agriculture and modern medicine allowed for an exploding population. And because of this, our materialistic civilization (an inevitable byproduct of our adopted technological mode of thought), is hurtling toward THE END TIMES. The ever escalating cycle of increased technology fueling increased consumption, which, in turn, fuels greater technological advancement, etc., is a train wreck waiting to happen. We are rapidly outstripping the planet's ability to sustain us. The whole rotting edifice is unsustainable and will come crashing down around our ears with much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '11 12:06
    What the serpent/Satan represents is that technological mode of thinking. Once he ate from the tree mankind went from a holistic, cooperative and egalitarian mode of existence to an atomized, individualistic and competitive one. Technology, which led to agriculture, opened the pathway to private property and the specialization of labor, which, in turn, ushe ...[text shortened]... ustainable and will come crashing down around our ears with much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
    Give it a break ffs, you're worse than the JW's with all your doom and gloom.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 May '11 12:10
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Give it a break ffs, you're worse than the JW's with all your doom and gloom.
    Repent, divegeester, for the end is nigh!
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 May '11 14:331 edit
    What the serpent/Satan represents is that technological mode of thinking. Once he ate from the tree mankind went from a holistic, cooperative and egalitarian mode of existence to an atomized, individualistic and competitive one. Technology, which led to agriculture, opened the pathway to private property and the specialization of labor, which, in turn, ushe ustainable and will come crashing down around our ears with much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
    In his natural environment, as pre-technological hunter-gatherers in the Golden Age of the "Garden of Eden", mankind was at one with god/nature. He perceived of himself as an integral and undifferentiated part of god/nature and the cycle of life.

After Mankind partook from the "Tree of Knowledge" and adopted a technological mode of thinking, his relationship with god/nature was forever altered. He now had a dualistic view of himself in relation to god/nature wherein he was separate, and separated from, god/nature. The primordial oneness was undone. Mankind stood apart from god/nature.

Rather than derive his physical and moral sustenance from a harmonious, integrated relationship with god/nature, mankind followed the serpent and used the tools of technology in an attempt to dominate, exploit and diminish god/nature for his own material gain. As a result mankind is alienated from god/nature. By making use of the serpent's technology, he lives in an increasingly alienated and pathological environment.

The kicker is that technology has allowed mankind to materially succeed and prosper to the point that he is no longer able to forgo its usage. He has locked himself into a perpetual cycle of ever increasing desires and the increasing technological ability to meet those desires (at least partially). Thus far god/nature has borne this increasing level of usurpations with remarkable tolerance. But his patience grows thin. The day is rapidly approaching when the unsustainability of mankind's pathological, technological materialism will unleash a DAY OF RECKONING. On that day his vaunted civilization will implode upon him and he will realize, too late, the folly of his ways.

Amen.
  12. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 May '11 14:31
    In his natural environment, as pre-technological hunter-gatherers in the Golden Age of the "Garden of Eden", mankind was at one with god/nature. He perceived of himself as an integral and undifferentiated part of god/nature and the cycle of life.

After Mankind partook from the "Tree of Knowledge" and adopted a technological mode of thinking, his relatio ...[text shortened]... tion will implode upon him and he will realize, too late, the folly of his ways.

Amen.
    The day is rapidly approaching when the unsustainability of mankind's pathological, technological materialism will unleash a DAY OF RECKONING. On that day his vaunted civilization will implode upon him and he will realize, too late, the folly of his ways.

Or we'll just get hit by an asteroid.

--- Penguin.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 May '11 14:47
    The Great Flood and the desertification of the Sahara, Middle East, India and American Southwest was caused by global warming.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 May '11 16:02
    Hey, that was *MY* theory!
    Would you like a lawyer?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 May '11 16:041 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    In my library, I have a book I bought to read to my children when they
    were young. The title of the book is "The Children's Bible Story Book"
    retold by Anne de Graaf. I was wondering if all the stories in the Bible
    that we usually tell are truth or fiction. Perhaps some are true and others
    fiction or maybe some are partly fiction but based on fact. M ...[text shortened]... t the Jonah story was all fact and
    no fiction. Does anyone have any ideas on these stories?
    I think you are falling into the pit of explaining away the miraculous.

If you believe in God then you must buy into a miraculous God. I suppose you could explain away every miracle recorded in the Bible other than Creation. In fact, even if you don't believe in God I think life can be viewed as miraculous. So my question is, do you believe in miracles? If so, to what degree? Are there limitations?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree