30 Jun '19 21:471 edit

Removed by poster

4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Jul '19 01:30
    @caesar-salad said
    ... does not require your worship or your attention.

... imparts no wisdom or guidelines for behavior.

... has no verbiage to remember or preserve or distribute, which is just as well, because verbiage and its attendant folkways only occur in some of the habitats and venues throughout the Cosmos.

... is content to abide, just so, without ambitions or expectation ...[text shortened]... though of course things do happen somehow anyway.

... by any other name would do and be the same.
    Whose this now? Another who teaches others to teach themselves?
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 21:03
    @hakima said
    I particularly like this one from the holy book by Harry Nilsson:

Finally, the two travellers reached what appeared to be the entrance to the Pointless Forest.
    It was a huge stony barrier with a small sign at its base which read '
    THIS WAY'.
    Once on the other side of the barrier, Oblio and Arrow had their first encounter . . .
    with the Pointless Man or the Pointed Man . ...[text shortened]... ing a few yards ahead of Oblio - disappeared into a bottomless pit . . .
    to the point of no return.
    Not all who wander are lost.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 05:441 edit
    @caesar-salad said

Have you ever reflected on your implied need for there to be a point?
    I have reflected on this, that some people have such a need, and come to the conclusion that the problem is not that some people find some religions pointless, but that they find pointlessness problematic.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 06:15
    @moonbus said
    I have reflected on this, that some people have such a need, and come to the conclusion that the problem is not that some people find some religions pointless, but that they find pointlessness problematic.
    Perhaps it’s more pertinent to this thread that some people prefer to point at the person who is pointing at the evidential pointlessness of something, in order to make a point for point’s sake and thereby score a cheap point.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 06:17
    @moonbus said
    At least those who wonder while they wander are not anyway.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 08:311 edit
    @divegeester said
    Perhaps it’s more pertinent to this thread that some people prefer to point at the person who is pointing at the evidential pointlessness of something, in order to make a point for point’s sake and thereby score a cheap point.
    Well then, let me formulate it differently. Suppose the following: Jesus taught "Keep the Ten Commandments, but above all love God and love thy neighbor as thyself," and that was it. No life after death, no personal immortality, no resurrection, no eternal consequences of any kind whatever. You live once, you die, you stay dead, and if you love God, love thyself, and love thy neighbor, that's all that matters. Open question to all Christian posters: would there still be any point to Christianity? Would the ethical bits be enough for you (plural y'all), without the promise of immortality?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 08:38
    @moonbus said
    Well then, let me formulate it differently. Suppose the following: Jesus taught "Keep the Ten Commandments, but above all love God and love thy neighbor as thyself," and that was it. No life after death, no personal immortality, no resurrection, no eternal consequences of any kind whatever. You live once, you die, you stay dead, and if you love God, love thyself, and love thy ...[text shortened]... ianity? Would the ethical bits be enough for you (plural y'all), without the promise of immortality?
    But that isn’t what the OP said. The OP said this:

does not require your worship or your attention.
    ... imparts no wisdom or guidelines for
    ... has no verbiage to remember or preserve or distribute, which is just as well, because verbiage and its attendant folkways only occur in some of the habitats and venues throughout the Cosmos.
    ... is content to abide, just so, without ambitions or expectations, although of course things do happen somehow anyway.
    ... by any other name would do and be the same.

Your version has a “point” as there is a requirement to keep some commandments. Do you see the difference?
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 09:23
    @moonbus said
    I wandered into work this morning.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 12:233 edits
    @divegeester said
    But that isn’t what the OP said. The OP said this:

[i]does not require your worship or your attention.
    ... imparts no wisdom or guidelines for
    ... is content to abide, ju ...[text shortened]... ersion has a “point” as there is a requirement to keep some commandments. Do you see the difference?
    Yes, there is a difference because I'm assuming there is a God who has a message for man but does't impose any sanctions for non-compliance or disbelief and is "content to abide." So, I'm exploring a nuanced difference by asking Christians here whether they would follow commandments (instructions, guidelines) even if there were no eternal consequences and no "requirement" to do so.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 12:23
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I wandered into work this morning.
    Do you do any? I mean generally, not just this morning.
  14. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 12:44
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
  15. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 15:32
    @moonbus said
    Yes, there is a difference because I'm assuming there is a God who has a message for man but does't impose any sanctions for non-compliance or disbelief and is "content to abide." So, I'm exploring a nuanced difference by asking Christians here whether they would follow commandments (instructions, guidelines) even if there were no eternal consequences and no "requirement" to do so.
    Maybe some Christians do need both the carrot and the stick: the carrot for the Easter bunny, and the stick for egg-rolling races.

As for Chirazolam, I'm not sure It would have a message for humankind or the cosmic diversity of critterkind, or that It even intends to lead by example.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree