1. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 18:53
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I guess I started this thread in a rage of indignation
    I know the feeling. It's what I experience when encountering boneheaded bible-literalists. It may stand in direct relation to my own stubbornness, but I refuse to believe that.
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 18:59
    Originally posted by stocken
    I know the feeling. It's what I experience when encountering boneheaded bible-literalists. It may stand in direct relation to my own stubbornness, but I refuse to believe that.
    Well, be that what it may, I guess the old maxim of how civility can go a long way could use some use.
  3. Colorado
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 19:25
    Originally posted by stocken
    I’ve come to believe that there are no Bible literalists, only those who claim to be. I think we’re all a little guilty of being boneheaded though (except for prodigy babies of coarse).
  4. Colorado
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 19:26
    Well, be that what it may, I guess the old maxim of how civility can go a long way could use some use.
    Yes it could. I’m constantly being reminded that this forum is not the place for civility.
  5. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 19:28
    The maxim could use some use?
  6. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 19:30
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    I’ve come to believe that there are no Bible literalists, only those who claim to be. I think we’re all a little guilty of being boneheaded though (except for prodigy babies of coarse).
    I think I admitted to being a little boneheaded by refusing to believe I'm stubborn. I think? I'm not sure. I'm so confused.

Where's mama??? I want mama!!!
  7. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 19:36
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    Yes it could. I’m constantly being reminded that this forum is not the place for civility.
    The inevitable will happen whether we're civil or not. It's just much more pleasant when people behave.

Take my last feeding for instance. Now, while giving me breast (something I enjoy tremendously and I'm sure will be a favorite even when growing up - albeit not the same milkshake, mind you) my mama had to go look after my older sister because my daddy was busy doing something important, like reading.

Now, each time my sister pulled a prank I had to stop feeding so that mama could set things straight. That's extremely annoying. Had my sister known better, she would have waited for her turn to get attention and I'd be sleeping happily now.

Oh, well... 😞
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 15:30
    Well, Paul is a prominent figure in Christianity isn't he?
    don't you mean Paulianity ?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 15:47
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    don't you mean Paulianity ?
    From I Corinthians 3 (I think written by Paul):
    For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?
    What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task.

and then in the same chapter:

For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

further advice, from the same chapter, same Paul:

Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a "fool" so that he may become wise.
    For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness;"
    and again, "The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile."

Let's not start with untenable posturing.
  10. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 15:58
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    From I Corinthians 3 (I think written by Paul):
    For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?
    What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task.

and then in the same chapter:

For no one can lay any foundation o ...[text shortened]... t the thoughts of the wise are futile."

Let's not start with untenable posturing.
    I dont't care what Paul said about following Christ, he wrote his own stuff into the religion that you Paulines follow.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 16:24
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    I dont't care what Paul said about following Christ, he wrote his own stuff into the religion that you Paulines follow.
    Based on, of course, your innate ability to discern the correct application of the myriad messages of the Gospels. Good luck with that.
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 16:58
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Based on, of course, your innate ability to discern the correct application of the myriad messages of the Gospels. Good luck with that.
    Paulinism will lead you away from the Kingdom. Seek and Ye shall find.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 19:22
    For the presumptuous folk, who have nothing better to do than to make jeering, ridiculing, snide and sarcastic remarks about something they have no intention of understanding (except perhaps for the purpose of getting more ammunition to help with the bashing).
    I appreciate the frame of mind you were in when you wrote this Hal, but the phrase 'suck it up' springs to mind....
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 23:09
    For the presumptuous folk, who have nothing better to do than to make jeering, ridiculing, snide and sarcastic remarks about something they have no intention of understanding (except perhaps for the purpose of getting more ammunition to help with the bashing).
    Killed by God, in one day, for premarital sex (1 Corinthians 10:8)
    23,000 dead

Killed, at God's behest, for not giving God his due (Exodus 32:26-28)
    3,000 dead

Killed for being counted by David (1 Chronicles 21:1-14)
    70,000 dead

Killed by God for questioning Moses and Aaron (Numbers 16:35)
    14,950 dead

Killed by God, in a plague, for whoring around (Numbers 25:1-9)
    24,000 dead

Delivered by God to be killed by Israelites (Judges 3:28-29)
    30,000 dead

Killed by God for engaging in homosexual acts (Genesis 19:24-25)
    Everything dead in 2 cities

Killed by God after their king made fun of him (Isaiah 37:1-36)
    185,000 dead

God threatened to kill for abandoning him (Amos 5:1-3)
    90 percent of Israel

Killed by God when he was particularly disgusted (Genesis 6:5-7:22)
    Everything dead on earth – except a few on an ark

Comply or spend eternity in hell (Rom. 6:23, Rev. 19:ll-15; 20:8)
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 02:29
    Nice. I have no beef with civil non-Christians such as yourself. I guess I started this thread in a rage of indignation -- all gone now.

Yeah. I kinda like my old avatar better.
    I guess I started this thread in a rage of indignation -- all gone now.

What the hell, Hal—which of us hasn’t been there? 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree