1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 16:55
    do children have a relationship with jesus? if so at what point does the relationship begin?
  2. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 17:23
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    do children have a relationship with jesus? if so at what point does the relationship begin?
    as soon as they're old enough to be indoctrinated. children believe anything their parents tell them, it's a survival mechanism.
  3. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 20:13
    Being a Christian and telling my child about God, Jesus and reading Bible story books to her is a good start for us. We obviously do all the other things as well (praying, go to church, taking part in church activies etc).
    I don't think there is a personal relationship my 5 year old has with Jesus yet, I guess it differs from one child to another but if I have to guess I would say early in their teenage years. Only a guess.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 21:04
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    Being a Christian and telling my child about God, Jesus and reading Bible story books to her is a good start for us. We obviously do all the other things as well (praying, go to church, taking part in church activies etc).
    I don't think there is a personal relationship my 5 year old has with Jesus yet, I guess it differs from one child to another but if I have to guess I would say early in their teenage years. Only a guess.
    thanks for a straight answer nicksten, it can be tricky to get one on here sometimes.

can i ask if you ever worry that your child will only believe in jesus because they are being brought up in an environment where its the done thing. ive discussed with friends on many occasions about taking on the politics of our parents, but i think its rarely discussed when it comes to religion.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 22:14
    Well in reality we all have a relationship with God and his son Jesus. It just all depends on how we view that as in if we think they exist or not. For ones who don't think they exist does not negate the fact that they do and in reality they eventually will.
    But yes it is the parents responsabilty to let them know about Jesus and Jehovah and who they are and the way we should view them and listen to them.
  6. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 00:59
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Well in reality we all have a relationship with God and his son Jesus. It just all depends on how we view that as in if we think they exist or not. For ones who don't think they exist does not negate the fact that they do and in reality they eventually will.
    But yes it is the parents responsabilty to let them know about Jesus and Jehovah and who they are and the way we should view them and listen to them.
    which reality is that? clearly, it's not this one.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 08:43
    Originally posted by galveston75
    do you worry that children will become christians just because they are influenced by their parents?

is there a difference in the eyes of christ between a person who comes to christ of their own volition and a person who believes because they have been told to believe?
  8. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 10:50
    thanks for a straight answer nicksten, it can be tricky to get one on here sometimes.

can i ask if you ever worry that your child will only believe in jesus because they are being brought up in an environment where its the done thing. ive discussed with friends on many occasions about taking on the politics of our parents, but i think its rarely discussed when it comes to religion.
    Sure no problem.

My opinion...
    Children only learn what their parents learn them, and it is real difficult to draw a line what to learn and what not. If I do not take the effort and time to learn my child moral laws, she will see nothing wrong with stealing candy or toys. It goes far beyond this example given and I would like my child to see things the way I see them without forcing her my way.

At the age of 5 my child is asking so many questions, and what I try and do is to let her educate herself and then I give my opinion. We agree on most things but she still has a way she does and say certain things.

I have planted the seed of faith in her, and it is going to be very hard for her to "be in" with children her same age who doesn't have the same faith, and trust me, at her school there is a lot of kids who doesn't and that is what worries me most. There are so many parents that just do not give a damn about educating their kids certain logical things, and kids like mine will come home and act differently and even sometimes say "swear words". Kids swearing at the age 5? I am shocked and we should all worry.

We should be open to discuss all kinds of politics to our kids and be able to educate them well when it comes to difference in all aspects of our beings. Beyond that, I honestly don't know yet.
  9. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 11:02
    do you worry that children will become christians just because they are influenced by their parents?

is there a difference in the eyes of christ between a person who comes to christ of their own volition and a person who believes because they have been told to believe?
    I don't want to play some kind of strawman but there are two ways of learning things:

1. By yourself
    2. By something/someone

I believe it is best (in most cases) by learning from something/someone else and advance on that.

I believe there is a difference, but not to Christ.
    If you were told of Christ and told to believe, you could easily find ways to change the believe as most people do.
    If you discover Christ yourself, it is harder to change your believe because you've had an experience which you know can not be false.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 11:08
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    Sure no problem.

My opinion...
    Children only learn what their parents learn them, and it is real difficult to draw a line what to learn and what not. If I do not take the effort and time to learn my child moral laws, she will see nothing wrong with stealing candy or toys. It goes far beyond this example given and I would like my child to see things the ...[text shortened]... comes to difference in all aspects of our beings. Beyond that, I honestly don't know yet.
    i have a similar approach (albeit from an atheist angle). my wife and i talk to our children about politics and religion, but we are careful to offer a balance view (well as balanced as we can). when she was 5 she went to a school funded by the church of england, where christianity was push heavily on the kids. she decided she believed in god. to me she became a christian because all her friends and teacher were and she wanted to fit in and of coarse so of the stories are magical and entertaining for kids. i think most christians become christians to fit in with the environment they are growing up in. shouldnt this be a problem for god, doesnt he want people to come to him because of him and not because 'everybody else is doing it'. does this also mean that the majority of christians do not really have a relationship with christ and are some what faking it.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 08:57
    another child/christianity question - can children have a relationship with jesus, without reading or being read the bible?
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 09:08
    another child/christianity question - can children have a relationship with jesus, without reading or being read the bible?
    Do children need to have a relationship with jesus? Surely it's a parent's task to instil moral values in their children, and it isn't necessary to consult an organised religion to do that. Any organised religion - Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Shinto, Islam, whatever - can only teach moral values according to the traditions of that particular religion. A truly caring parent will teach moral values as absolutes existing in their own right, not as part of a fable or fairy tale.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 09:24
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Do children need to have a relationship with jesus? Surely it's a parent's task to instil moral values in their children, and it isn't necessary to consult an organised religion to do that. Any organised religion - Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Shinto, Islam, whatever - can only teach moral values according to the traditions of that particular religion. ...[text shortened]... moral values as absolutes existing in their own right, not as part of a fable or fairy tale.
    a relationship with Jesus will produce nothing but an emotional attachment, this is
    simply not enough, children need to be provided with principles based upon reason, so
    that when they are faced with circumstances their own powers of discernment will kick
    in and they will exercise their own consciences. If you have ever tried to reason with a
    born again Christian who thinks themselves filled with Holy spirit, you will understand
    why a faith based on reason is paramount, not merely on emotionalism.
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 11:54
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Do children need to have a relationship with jesus? Surely it's a parent's task to instil moral values in their children, and it isn't necessary to consult an organised religion to do that. Any organised religion - Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Shinto, Islam, whatever - can only teach moral values according to the traditions of that particular religion. ...[text shortened]... moral values as absolutes existing in their own right, not as part of a fable or fairy tale.
    i dont think children need a relationship with jesus. im wondering if christians really care or spend much time thinking about how people get to the point where they think or are having a relationship with jesus.

i dont think its possible that children who are taught christ as fact can ever really claim to be true christians, they are just following the world view of their elders. surly the only true christians are ones who decide themselves without any outside influence. so it begs the question -

can children be christians?
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 13:34
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    which reality is that? clearly, it's not this one.
    better said, it is not the reality you perceive and accept.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree