1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 16:59
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    thanks for a straight answer nicksten, it can be tricky to get one on here sometimes.

can i ask if you ever worry that your child will only believe in jesus because they are being brought up in an environment where its the done thing. ive discussed with friends on many occasions about taking on the politics of our parents, but i think its rarely discussed when it comes to religion.
    That is a concern I have with my kids. Since I didn't grow up as a Christian
    I know what one's parent's believe don't always fall on the kids, and as a
    Christian at some point everyone needs to know God for themselves since
    as an old saying goes...God has kids, not grandkids.
    Kelly
  2. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 17:41
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    better said, it is not the reality you perceive and accept.
    that's the trick. normally, i'm not concerned about what reality other people perceive. there are a lot of lunatics locked up who perceive their private realities, it doesn't bother me.

i do however take note when people perceiving a reality other than mine organize and try to convince me one way or another that their reality is true. at this point, red flags go up along with my standard of evidence. they had better make a good case.
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 17:45
    another child/christianity question - can children have a relationship with jesus, without reading or being read the bible?
    we haven't really established adult relationships with christ as a fact yet.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 23:55
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    that's the trick. normally, i'm not concerned about what reality other people perceive. there are a lot of lunatics locked up who perceive their private realities, it doesn't bother me.

i do however take note when people perceiving a reality other than mine organize and try to convince me one way or another that their reality is true. at this point, red flags go up along with my standard of evidence. they had better make a good case.
    as long as we agree that while people might perceive reality differently, that their perceptions are not necessarily mutually exclusive and they might actually be roughly the same, we can get along famously.
  5. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 05:41
    i have a similar approach (albeit from an atheist angle). my wife and i talk to our children about politics and religion, but we are careful to offer a balance view (well as balanced as we can). when she was 5 she went to a school funded by the church of england, where christianity was push heavily on the kids. she decided she believed in god. to me she ...[text shortened]... ority of christians do not really have a relationship with christ and are some what faking it.
    I personally don't think "all" Christians become Christians to fit in, but I agree some do and in all other religions as well. I think the world has become a place where everything "is okay" in most cases and lots of people want to fit in everywhere. I only want to fit in where "what we do" is in line with what God wants us to do. I guess God would want people to come to Him by ourself but some people need a push in the right direction, and if they don't know He exists, the chances are very rare.

I think God wouldn't have a problem if I push someone towards Him. In fact, the heavens will rejoice. Yes, lots of Christians do not have a relationship with Christ, some of them don't even go to church but call themselves a Christian.

I really don't want to mention the following but will do it any way, this, to explain my views on types of Christians:

The best way to refer to certain types of Christians you must look at what they do (holistically).
    I like using the types of vegetarians towards the types of Christians.

Vegetarians:
    Some eat dairy products,
    Some eat fish,
    Some eat chicken and turkey
    Some occasionally include one, two or maybe all
    etc etc

Christians:
    Some pray,
    Some go to church,
    Some believe woman wearing pants is sin,
    Some believe in God and not in Christ,
    Some believe in evolution (life started and evolved from muddy pool)
    etc etc

In short, you can really see whether or not a person is a full vegetarian or Christian.
    A real/full vegetarian is called a vegan. No exceptions.
    A real/full Christian lives by ALL of Gods rules. No exceptions.
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 07:371 edit
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    I personally don't think "all" Christians become Christians to fit in, but I agree some do and in all other religions as well. I think the world has become a place where everything "is okay" in most cases and lots of people want to fit in everywhere. I only want to fit in where "what we do" is in line with what God wants us to do. I guess God would want peo gan. No exceptions.
    That is a terrible analogy.

There is only one type of vegetarian, one that doesn't eat any meat. Anyone who claims to be a vegetarian and then adds that they eat some sort of meat, however frequently or infrequently, is not a vegetarian.

A vegan is someone who doesn't eat and animal products, full stop. They're not a real/full vegetarian, they're a vegan.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 07:45
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    That is a terrible analogy.

There is only one type of vegetarian, one that doesn't eat any meat. Anyone who claims to be a vegetarian and then adds that they eat some sort of meat, however frequently or infrequently, is not a vegetarian.

A vegan is someone who doesn't eat and animal products, full stop. They're not a real/full vegetarian, they're a vegan.
    I agree, its pandering.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 07:592 edits
    I personally don't think "all" Christians become Christians to fit in, but I agree some do and in all other religions as well. I think the world has become a place where everything "is okay" in most cases and lots of people want to fit in everywhere. I only want to fit in where "what we do" is in line with what God wants us to do. I guess God would want peo gan. No exceptions.
    Nicksten, I am a poor, lightweight, Christian and not in a position to correct other Chritians, but if you are going to discuss the principles of Chritianity and salvation with this lot here, you really need to get your facts straight and read up a little my friend.

There is only one type of Christian; and you are either one, or you are not. The Bible position on this is not ambivalent.

You cannot be a Christian and "not believe in Christ" (as you put it).

You are not a Christian by "following God's rules" - "it is by grace you are saved" - and set free from the law.

God may or may not "want people to come to him by choice". However, the scriptural position is that no one comes to God out of choice, "all have turned away, there no one who seeks God, not one".
  9. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 10:101 edit
    A terrible analogy in your opinions (Proper Knob and Robbie). Exactly why I didn't wanted to mention it cause of people like you - whom in my point of view are to damn lazy to read more on certain subjects like this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism

But I do agree with you, a vegetarian is one who doesn't eat animal products, full stop!
    The same with a Christian, and that was the point I was trying to make divegeester.

You get the wannabe vegetarians and christians - but they're fake.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 11:37
    A terrible analogy in your opinions (Proper Knob and Robbie). Exactly why I didn't wanted to mention it cause of people like you - whom in my point of view are to damn lazy to read more on certain subjects like this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism

But I do agree with you, a vegetarian is one who doesn't eat animal products, full stop! ...[text shortened]... ng to make divegeester.

You get the wannabe vegetarians and christians - but they're fake.
    You present some half-baked, incoherent analogy about vegetarians. I point out your errors and you accuse me of being 'to (sic) damn lazy to read more on certain subjects like this one.

Unbelievable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree