1. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 21:13
    Moonbus,
    Why do you not believe that the Lord Jesus was crucified around 30 AD?
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 21:13
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Proper Knob
    First of all, the bible is a translation from the original writings into English for me. I don't doubt the original writings from which the bible came.

Now, i ask you. . .what in the original writings have been disproved to be not true?

I don't doubt the original writing sources. For as much as the bible has the original writings in English for me, I don't doubt the bible either.
    Considering the original writings of the Bible no longer exist, it's impossible to prove or disprove anything. What relevance this has to evolution I'm not sure?!
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 21:152 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Of course there is.

A fish just doesn't one day change into an amphibian.
    wow I knew you had your own creation myths (abiogenesis), your own high priests and luminaries (Darwin, Dawkins etc), places where you can worship the God of Science (university campus), your own sacred books (Origin of the species, the God delusion etc), your own hymns (Imagine by Lennon) but to have your own tree of life, thats really something else.
  4. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 21:20
    ProperKnob,
    You Typed
    -----------------
    Considering the original writings of the Bible no longer exist, it's impossible to prove or disprove anything. What relevance this has to evolution I'm not sure?!
    -----------------

Apparently, the original writings should exist or did exist long enough for the bible to be written. The original writings do no all have to be the very first print of text. My understanding is that the writings used for the bible were not all the very first print. And that what is missing for the bible does not include doctrinal matters.

I will say this, that if God says, He created, there is no reason to think otherwise. Science is okay to examine with, but it doesn't prove evolution. So, why do people even think that it is a fact?

It is illogical to even conclude what is not proven scientifically is a scientific proof that God is a liar.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 21:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    wow I knew you had your own creation myths (abiogenesis), your own high priests and luminaries (Darwin, Dawkins etc), places where you can worship the God of Science (university campus), your own sacred books (Origin of the species, the God delusion etc), your own hymns (Imagine by Lennon) but to have your own tree of life, thats really something else.
    😴
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 21:27
    ProperKnob,
    You Typed
    -----------------
    -----------------

Apparently, the original writings should exist or did exist long enough for the bible to be written. The original writings do n ...[text shortened]... cal to even conclude what is not proven scientifically is a scientific proof that God is a liar.
    The Bible was written by men, humans like you and me, this seems to be a crucial factor you are missing here.
  7. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 21:45
    ProperKnob,
    Man did the writing for the scripture, but but it was God who told them what to write for the scripture. God used men to write out the words of Scripture, the Scripture came by God. . .

Are you more likely to believe God or man's opinion that evolution is true even without scientific proof? Do scientists say that Darwin's findings and writings are inspired by God?

King James Version
    ==============
    2 Timothy 3: 16, 17
    All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Peter 1: 19-21
    We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 21:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    My own tree of life? What are you babbling on about?
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 21:51
    As a young person up to about 18 years of age I believed in evolution or classic evolution but I thought that God brought it about that way. As I've become older I am more creation biased but I still keep and open mind as I like to look at the issue from a scientific standpoint. I really struggle on this one as I go back and forth between age of the universe and earth and no creationist model seems to fit what we see very well.

Manny
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 21:53
    ProperKnob,
    Man did the writing for the scripture, but but it was God who told them what to write for the scripture. God used men to write out the words of Scripture, the Scripture came by God. . .

Are you more likely to believe God or man's opinion that evolution is true even without scientific proof? Do scientists say that Darwin's findings and ...[text shortened]... n old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.
    The scripture came from God, and we know this how? Because the Bible says so right?! That's a circular argument, logical fallacy #101. It obviously works for you, but not in the slightest for me.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 22:361 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    The scripture came from God, and we know this how? Because the Bible says so right?! That's a circular argument, logical fallacy #101. It obviously works for you, but not in the slightest for me.
    The evolution textbooks have been proven wrong many times in the last 100 years and evilutionists must continually explain away error and fraud by claiming advances in science and redefining what is evolution. The scriptures have stood the test of 2000 years of people trying to prove it wrong. The naysayers have been proven wrong over and over.

http://www.gotquestions.org/archaeology-Bible.html
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 23:578 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds

http://www.gotquestions.org/archaeology-Bible.html[/b]
    The evolution textbooks have been proven wrong many times in the last 100 years and evilutionists must continually explain away error and fraud by claiming advances in science and redefining what is evolution. The scriptures have stood the test of 2000 years of people trying to prove it wrong. The naysayers have been proven wrong over and over.

Some interpretations of Scripture have been proven wrong. For example, there was an interpretation of passages in the Bible which led some people to believe that the earth did not move.

These passages were:

Psalm 93:1 - "Yes, the world is established; it shall never be moved."
    First Chronicles 16:30 - "Tremble before Him, all the earth; yes, the world is established; is shall never be moved."
    Psalm 104:5 - "He set the earth on its foundations, so that it should never be moved."
    First Samuel 2:8 - "For the pillars of the earth are the Lord's. and on them He has set the world."

Some interpreters fought for a belief that the earth could not move. The science for many centuries went along with a stable stationary earth.

In 1543 Copernicus published On the Revolution of the Celestial Orbs which argued scientifically that the earth did in fact move. And what we might call today as the "Still Earthers" among Christians were very upset.

It is alleged that even before Copernicus published that book Martin Luther rejected a heliocentric earth with the earth moving around the sun.

Long story short, it was not until 1725 that the first hard evidence was presented that the earth was moving. It was presented by James Bradley, Savilian Professor of Astronomy at Oxford.

The interpretation of the above passages had to be re-thought. And today I think most Christians regard earth pillars or an earth that doesn't move as more allegorical.

It is wise for Christians to say that the Word of God is infallible but our interpretations of the Word of God are not infallible. For we may have to realize that a given interpretation of words is not what we initially imagined.

When asked if we take the Bible literally we should say that we take the Bible at face value. How something is being told us in the Bible has to be determined. We take it as it is being communicated. The style of writing has to be considered. "How is God speaking to us in this passage?"
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 00:542 edits
    FMF,
    You typed
    --------------
    So how do you figure that the bible is true
    --------------

I believe in God because scripture is declared to come directly from Godly inspiration.
    OK then, fair enough. You asked me "Please tell me how I was [using] circular [logic] in the point I brought up", and now I have demonstrated it by drawing a succinct rendition of it from your typing fingers.

edit: Oh I see Proper Knob has already pointed it out to you. I am in a different time zone. I've just got up.Moving on to coffee #2. 🙂
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 02:531 edit
    I just don't buy that a non-living whatever chemical compound got struck by lighting in a puddle somewhere and then that sparked life ( I know that might be simplistic) but it does not fit the model or reality that we see. The fact that a code (DNA) under pins every living thing to me is proof of some intelligence. I always ask where are the transitional species ? If frogs became birds we should see some evidence in the fossil record. I'm open to the idea the the 6 days of Genesis could have been ages.

Manny
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 02:59
    Originally posted by menace71
    I'm open to the idea the the 6 days of Genesis could have been ages.
    How about "the 6 days of Genesis" quite simply being a metaphor?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree