1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 14:18
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/11/arizona.funeral.westboro/index.html?hpt=T1

It's bad enough this little girl, born on 9-11-2001 was killed by a nutter, now because she is catholic, the funeral is to be picketed by yet another.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 14:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse

It's bad enough this little girl, born on 9-11-2001 was killed by a nutter, now because she is catholic, the funeral is to be picketed by yet another.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church
    "It is headed by Fred Phelps and consists mostly of members of his large family"
    why do you think it is relevant what a lone nutjob does? do you consider the actions of 20 or so people are representative of a bigger group, say christians? do you just randomly post hate and if so, are we to expect you posting each day a gruesome crime from somewhere?

by these questions i don't want to pick a fight, i am simply asking the definitive point you are trying to make with this thread.

you should read the link in my thread "atheist and believers".
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 14:462 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church
    "It is headed by Fred Phelps and consists mostly of members of his large family"
    why do you think it is relevant what a lone nutjob does? do you consider the actions of 20 or so people are representative of a bigger group, say christians? do you just randomly post hate and if so, are we to expect you po make with this thread.

you should read the link in my thread "atheist and believers".
    I did and responded. I am pointing out this group of nutters should not be allowed to interfere with the funeral of a little girl BECAUSE she is catholic. They go around saying 'God hats Fags', God Hates Catholics and the like. A nutter hate group who shouldn't even be allowed to call themselves christian. They recently picketed a funeral of a young gay man beaten to death by another hate group, the family could not even mourn in peace. You think this should be allowed?

Its bad enough for a hate group to kill because the guy is gay, but why not let the family mourn their hate victim in peace?

I can tell you this: if MY son were gay and killed by a hate group and these nutters came on the scene at the funeral, I would consider a bit of hate killing myself.
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 14:51
    I did and responded. I am pointing out this group of nutters should not be allowed to interfere with the funeral of a little girl BECAUSE she is catholic. They go around saying 'God hats Fags', God Hates Catholics and the like. A nutter hate group who shouldn't even be allowed to call themselves christian. They recently picketed a funeral of a young gay man ...[text shortened]... to kill because the guy is gay, but why not let the family mourn their hate victim in peace?
    Doesn't the first amendment give them the right to?

I don't come even close to disagreeing with you that they are dispicable and horrible people.

I don't remember their name, but there was a group of bikers that would go around and peacefully just stand in front of these people so those who are attending the funeral don't have to see them.

These people are trying to get attention by targetting this funeral. If you give them a reason for a court fight (one that they very well could win) then you're feeding the beast.
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 14:51
    Whatever this group labels itself it's disgraceful. If they came to one of my relatives funerals they would get handed out a beat down!! (I know two wrongs don't make a right)

Manny
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 15:21
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn

I don't come even close to disagreeing with you that they are dispicable and horrible people.

I don't remember their name, but there was a group of bikers that would go around and peacefully just stand in front of these people so those who are attending the funeral don't have to see them.

The ...[text shortened]... reason for a court fight (one that they very well could win) then you're feeding the beast.
    Sure they have a right to but that goes way beyond showing respect and decency to scratch the surface. There is a right and wrong place to say what you think and this is about as wrong as you can get.
    Such a sad thing for all the victims and their families.

Revelation 21:4 (Darby Translation)

4 And he shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and death shall not exist any more, nor grief, nor cry, nor distress shall exist any more, for the former things have passed away.
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 15:23
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Sure they have a right to but that goes way beyond showing respect and decency to scratch the surface. There is a right and wrong place to say what you think and this is about as wrong as you can get.
    Such a sad thing for all the victims and their families.

Revelation 21:4 (Darby Translation)

4 And he shall wipe away every tear from their eye ...[text shortened]... , nor grief, nor cry, nor distress shall exist any more, for the former things have passed away.
    I don't disagree with you at all and I didn't say anything that contradicts your post.

The problem is that the government can't come in and prevent them from demonstrating.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 15:23

The ...[text shortened]... reason for a court fight (one that they very well could win) then you're feeding the beast.
    So it's ok for nutters to go around like that but its not ok to show emotions about them? I said I could CONSIDER a hate killing, that is not the same thing as actual killing.

Free speech proponents never considered the kind of nut job cases these individuals represent. It seems to me that kind of activity should be considered in the same light as falsely yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater.
  9. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 15:26
    The UK Christian Voice isn't pleasant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Voice_(UK)
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 15:32
    So it's ok for nutters to go around like that but its not ok to show emotions about them? I said I could CONSIDER a hate killing, that is not the same thing as actual killing.

Free speech proponents never considered the kind of nut job cases these individuals represent. It seems to me that kind of activity should be considered in the same light as falsely yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater.
    So it's ok for nutters to go around like that but its not ok to show emotions about them?

I never said that.

Free speech proponents never considered the kind of nut job cases these individuals represent.

So because they didn't consider these kinds of nut jobs then they don't have their rights?

The first amendment is there to protect speech that is unpopular, not to protect speech that is popular.

It seems to me that kind of activity should be considered in the same light as falsely yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater

Well, the courts have disagreed with you before and I'm sure they will again. They have gone to court to contest bans on their protests and have won.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 15:36

They make me sick!
    Kelly
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 16:02
    I don't disagree with you at all and I didn't say anything that contradicts your post.

The problem is that the government can't come in and prevent them from demonstrating.
    Oh I know you didn't. I wasn't saying that... 🙂
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 16:03
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Oh I know you didn't. I wasn't saying that... 🙂
    Ok then! We agree! Somehow it feels weird seeing agreement in the spirituality forum 😛
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 16:211 edit

This is downright harassment in my book and people who do this should be liable to pay compensation to the aggrieved family.

Sometimes America seems so foreign to me. Why on earth would anyone equate free speech with people willingly disturbing a funeral?

I don't get it.
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 16:28
    Ok then! We agree! Somehow it feels weird seeing agreement in the spirituality forum 😛
    Well we're all humans and we all hate things that are wrong and we all feel sadness when people are hurt.... There's a lot more we agree on then not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree