Christian Logic Discussion Board

Christian Logic Discussion Board

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
15 Nov 05

If some of you guys posted on the Logic Discussion Board there'd be an endless supply fallacies for analysis and discussion. 😀

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
15 Nov 05
2 edits

Originally posted by KneverKnight
Let's suppose there is a group of people, let's call them oh I dunno-Christians! Ya that's it, Christians.
Let's furthur suppose that they believe that a man called Jesus was the one foretold in some writings by an earlier group, let's call them oh I dunno-Jews! Ya, that's a good name, nice ring to that one.
Anyways, these Christians split off f ...[text shortened]... ."
But, after painting oneself into a corner for thousands of years, it's gonna be difficult.
You should update your knowledge about at least one group of Christians, the so called Roman-Catholic people.

Reading the Encyclical "Fides et Ratio" would be an appropiate starting point to educate yourself and get rid of all those old-fashioned ideas:

http://www.vatican.va/edocs/ENG0216/_INDEX.HTM

You can also take a look at the ["Truth and Tolerance", Cardinal J. Ratzinger] thread and read the content.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
15 Nov 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
You should update your knowledge about at least one group of Christians, the so called Roman-Catholic people.

Reading the Encyclical "Fides et Ratio" would be an appropiate starting point to educate yourself and get rid of all those old-fashioned ideas:

http://www.vatican.va/edocs/ENG0216/_INDEX.HTM

You can also take a look at the ["Truth and Tolerance", Cardinal J. Ratzinger] thread and read the content.
I did read "Truth and Tolerance" Nothing new there, just the same old "my belief is true, yours aint" that I hear from many sources, not just from the RCC.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
15 Nov 05

I did read "Truth and Tolerance" Nothing new there, just the same old "my belief is true, yours aint" that I hear from many sources, not just from the RCC.
You read the book ?

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
15 Nov 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
You read the book ?
Your thread.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
15 Nov 05

Your thread.
I see. Are you going to read "Fides et Ratio" ?

d

Moves
15 Nov 05

Originally posted by Coletti
If some of you guys posted on the Logic Discussion Board there'd be an endless supply fallacies for analysis and discussion. 😀
Well I had a quick look.

I found the following interesting post at the website, which I believe was written by you:

As you have noted, faith is not the opposite of knowledge. There really is no epistemological differentiation between faith and knowledge that I think is justified. What I have faith in, I believe to be true. What I know, I believe to be true. I have faith in what I know (or I wouldn't say I know it).

Is this an argument? What is its form?

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
15 Nov 05

I have to agree with Coletti on this one. Aggghhhh! The room is spinning!!! Wait ... okay ... phew. It's over. Really though, logic is only a tool that can be used in all manner of fashion. It is not even a given that a perfectly logical argument even makes "sense" to anyone, for it is all based on the premises used. If you're premise is "The Bible is the Word of God" then you could correctly argue certain things. If your premise is "All dogs are blue," then you could argue that your pet Fido is blue, even when he isn't. Faith does have to be applied at the beginning in creating premises; as these premises are usually a very personal interpretation of patterns that are probably beyond our understanding, it's not at all surprising to find out that there are differences in opinion defended only by bad jokes and insults.

d

Moves
16 Nov 05

Originally posted by Coletti
This is especially for the Christians on the RHP, but others may be interested. I'm now one of the moderators on the Logic Discussion Board at http://www.christianlogic.com/forums/

The sites purpose is to provide a place where Christians can learn and talk about logic. You don't have to be a Christian to participate - as long as you don't go in there ...[text shortened]... ou right quick! 🙂

If you feel the desire to bash logic or Christians - you can do that here.
(x)(y) Px & Cy & -Rx THEN Sx

where

P=posts about a website
C=criticises content of that website
R=responds
S=is a spammer

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
22 Nov 05

Originally posted by dottewell
Well I had a quick look.

I found the following interesting post at the website, which I believe was written by you:

As you have noted, faith is not the opposite of knowledge. There really is no epistemological differentiation between faith and knowledge that I think is justified. What I have faith in, I believe to be true. What I know, I believe ...[text shortened]... in what I know (or I wouldn't say I know it).

Is this an argument? What is its form?
It's an argument in deductive form.

p1: All K is B
p2: All B is F
c: All K is F

The argument is a simply syllogism in AAA form.