1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 12:44
    Saw this posed in another thread (calling out sumydid) in regard to prayer.

James 5:16 .... pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

It reminded me of this article i saw on the BBC website.

At least three people in London with HIV have died after they stopped taking life saving drugs on the advice of their Evangelical Christian pastors.

The women died after attending churches in London where they were encouraged to stop taking the antiretroviral drugs in the belief that God would heal them, their friends and a leading HIV doctor said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14406818

It begs the question, where was God? And also should charges be brought against the pastor for assisted suicide (which is illegal in the UK)/manslaughter?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 12:471 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob

James 5:16 .... pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

[quote]At least three people in London with HIV have died after they stoppe ...[text shortened]... es be brought against the pastor for assisted suicide (which is illegal in the UK)/manslaughter?
    yes charges should be brought, nominal Christians are mental, everyone knows that.
    As for God, there is a very interesting Biblical account where Paul petitions God to
    remove a sickness, yet it remained.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 12:48

[quote]At least three people in London with HIV have died after they stoppe ...[text shortened]... es be brought against the pastor for assisted suicide (which is illegal in the UK)/manslaughter?
    Legally no, as you are entitled to refuse treatment, you just not allowed 'treatment' that would hasten your demise.

Morally, hell yes, these guys should be thrown in jail.

Unfortunately this would just get them seen as martyrs.
    So as usual, best option is better education so as few people as possible get taken in by this nonsense.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 12:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes charges should be brought, nominal Christians are mental, everyone knows that.
    As for God, there is a very interesting Biblical account where Paul petitions God to
    remove a sickness, yet it remained.
    I think that should be

.................Christians are mental, everyone knows that. 🙂
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 12:49

The blame should lie squarely with the women.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 12:51
    I think that should be

Why be so specific... Theists are mental....

Things however are not so dry cut, Christianity/theism is mental, Christians/theists are not necessarily mental.

Although once you get to evangelicals then your heading that way.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 12:52
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    The blame should lie squarely with the women.
    If you talk someone into committing an act/crime then you bear some responsibility for it's outcome.
    This is a well established legal and moral idea.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 12:53
    I think that should be

you'll pay for that, i dont know when, i dont know how, but you'll pay! BTW wanna play blitz?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 12:571 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    If you talk someone into committing an act/crime then you bear some responsibility for it's outcome.
    This is a well established legal and moral idea.
    My opinion is that this is different from a normal everyday crime.
    I am assuming that the women knew that the drugs were there to help them so it is up to them to make any decisions regarding their own bodies.

It is a grey area though, no doubt.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 13:03
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    My opinion is that this is different from a normal everyday crime.
    I am assuming that the women knew that the drugs were there to help them so it is up to them to make any decisions regarding their own bodies.

It is a grey area though, no doubt.
    The whole point of religion is that you abandon logic and reason in favour of faith and the
    authority of your preacher's and holy books.

If the aforementioned authority figures then tell you to do something harmful (to yourself
    and/or others) then they have a responsibility for the outcome.

Preachers claim themselves to be knowledgeable authority figures in possession of divine
    knowledge superior to anything anyone else has.
    They go to great lengths to make sure people believe and importantly trust them.
    Thus they have a duty of care to ensure that in that position of trust their advice is sound
    and they take responsibility for it's outcomes.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 13:04

The quote from James that the prayers of a RIGHTEOUS man availeth much.
    God decides who is righteous and who is not.
    So the women were foolish to put their faith in a man who clearly was not righteous.
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 13:10
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The quote from James that the prayers of a RIGHTEOUS man availeth much.
    God decides who is righteous and who is not.
    So the women were foolish to put their faith in a man who clearly was not righteous.
    So if God decides who is righteous. How does he let that person know?
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 13:11
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you'll pay for that, i dont know when, i dont know how, but you'll pay! BTW wanna play blitz?
    No blitz for me thanks. I'm terrible at it, besides it's 1:00pm on a Thursday afternoon and i have stuff to be getting on with.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 13:12
    No blitz for me thanks. I'm terrible at it, besides it's 1:00pm on a Thursday afternoon and i have stuff to be getting on with.
    sure thing, no worries.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 13:14
    So if God decides who is righteous. How does he let that person know?
    I dont know. But the women without perfect knowledge about the status of their pastor should have proceeded with the aids treatment and still allow the pastor to pray for them. There is no need to choose one or the other.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree