Christian Rock:  Ministry or Mockery?

Christian Rock: Ministry or Mockery?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
08 Apr 05

One of the largest markets in the American music industry, and arguably one of the fastest growing markets in the world, is Christian Contemporary Music and Christian Rock.

Christian Rock? Isn't that a oxymoron, you ask?

Certainly, it is.

While I was watching TV at some ungodly hour last weekend I strolled across CTS and watched several Christian Rock videos to see what the new stuff is all about. To preface, when I was young (pre-teens), I was raised on Christian Rock. I was not allowed to watch MTV or listen to the radio. While the boys at my local white trash elementary school rocked out to Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet album and the girls enjoyed the New Kids On The Block, there was me who listened to acts such as Carman (www.carman.org) and Michael W Smith (whose Big Picture album still gets mad props from me!). Eventually, Rock and Roll would have its way with me and I became obsessed with such albums as Guns n Roses' "Appetite for Destruction" and Metallica's "...And Justice For All" but Christian Rock would always have its place in my heart as I developed my first real appreciation of popular music.

That being said, what I saw on TV last weekend was an absolute joke. Bands simply mimicing what the flavour of the day is on MTV with no real message to be heard. Christian Pop Divas doing dance routines that can be described essentially as dry-humping with a buffer zone. Safe-as-milk 'Emo'/'Rapcore' bands with tattoos and piercings apparently giving glory to God through their Marshall stacks and poseriffic lyrics. It was hilarity that verged upon absolute absurdity.

Without becoming judgemental, I question the integrity and the sincerity of all these new Christian Rock artists and, most importantly, the Christian Rock labels that spout this nonsense and are, no doubt, reaping millions in profits selling this no-name brand of mimicry to a disillusioned target market of naifs. For the Glory of God? Shyeah right. For the mighty dollah dollah bill.

My message to all the Christian Youth out there who may read this post is quite simple: DON'T FALL FOR IT!

What is being pushed to you is nothing more than a bunch of hooey. Music essentially no different than any artist similar to them on 'secular' airwaves except it comes with the stamp of approval of a Christian Rock label interested ONLY in making profits - not spreading the WORD OF GOD.

If you love an artist for the music they create, fine. More power to ya (as the Petra song goes). But here's my advice: Explore. Don't be limited by what your youth pastor or some other jag-off says is sinful! Music is the most beautiful creation Mr. God ever gave us poor homonids, do you honestly think he would waste it on a tool like Scott Stapp or on a "punk" band who pretends to be another band except doesn't swear?

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher, baby.

Rock and Roll will never die.

S

Moves
08 Apr 05

So true.

Remember kids, the sentiment don't count for sh;t if the music's cr@p!

w
Stay outta my biznez

Moves
08 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman
So true.

Remember kids, the sentiment don't count for sh;t if the music's cr@p!
Anybody remember Stryper? hehehe

Edit: I've tried posting this question 3 times and it still hasn't worked. Until now maybe....?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
08 Apr 05

Christian rap is another travesty. One can look at a Christian rap video and be unable to tell it is any difference than regular rap other than a little less booty shakin goin on.

The whole concept of "Christian music" I find somewhat perplexing as if it is something new. Whatever happened to Bach, Brahams, etc. ? It's all about image. No message to it.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
08 Apr 05

Ever notice that you can flip through the dial on your radio, and know within seconds of hearing a rock song, that it's a 'Christian Rock' song. Is it something about the quality? Is it because it sound like a poor copy of 'secular' rock?

I listened to the 'Rez' band years ago. They were a hard-rock Christian group when there were few others. And although the music was not always great, the lyrics were not vague or ambiguous like the wanna-be cross-over Christian rock bands of today. (They know the big bucks come when your music crosses over to secular radio stations - e.g Amy Grant.)

d

Moves
08 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Coletti
Ever notice that you can flip through the dial on your radio, and know within seconds of hearing a rock song, that it's a 'Christian Rock' song. Is it something about the quality? Is it because it sound like a poor copy of 'secular' ...[text shortened]... our music crosses over to secular radio stations - e.g Amy Grant.)
I don't listen to the radio much but when I saw the videos on TV I immediately knew they were Christian Rock because of the strikingly low quality of the song.

It also didn't hurt that I knew what channel was the Christian network due to several prank calls I used to make to a show called "Nite Lite Live" in University. Oh boy, those were doozies. But those stories are for another time... 🙂

http://www.crossroads.ca/broadcas/nitelite.htm

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
08 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by darvlay
I don't listen to the radio much but when I saw the videos on TV I immediately knew they were Christian Rock because of the strikingly low quality of the song.

It also didn't hurt that I knew what channel was the Christian network du ...[text shortened]... other time... 🙂

http://www.crossroads.ca/broadcas/nitelite.htm
I couldn't agree more. White Heart, Petra, Carmen, White Cross, Michael W. Smith, DC Talk, Newsboys, De Garmo and Key, Nouveaux, Audio Adrenaline, Jars of Clay. . . I used to love all that s&*$. Well, a few songs were actually pretty good. But just like you, darv, I eventually realized that there was a world of better music out there. It was like stepping out of the shade and into the sweet sunshine (I lived in the NW and "crossed over" in the early grunge period.)

While going to high school, I lived with a family that only listened to xtian music. They were really big on it. Their oldest son wanted to be an xtian rock singer. Anyway, I got to hear an enormous sampling of xtian artists from Keith Green to Stryper. I think that many of these artists had the right intention initially. They loved rock n roll, and they loved Christ. They realized that the music itself is not a problem, but rather the message. So they altered their message to praise God in the way he has made them.

The problem I think is the xtian labels. Like you say, they are racking in big dough peddling this tripe. For most of the big labels, if they want to sell, they have to make the music pass the 30-something with kids test. The consumers and the label work together to strangle any of the creative artists that they have.

Take Amy Grant for instance. I was an avid xtian music listener when she "crossed over." The fall out was huge. The silly thing in my opinion was that she wasn't singing about anything controversial. Compared to the other secular artists, she was an upright pillar. However because she didn't write every song about either "Give your life to Christ" or "Lord you are so (insert positive adjective)" her fans flipped out.

That's the problem in my opinion. The artists under mainstream xtian labels have to sacrifice their artistry for the message. Take the message and put it over an imitation of the sound that is big now. Oh yeah, and the competition is not as high so the music on average sucks more.

d

Moves
08 Apr 05

Originally posted by telerion
I couldn't agree more. White Heart, Petra, Carmen, White Cross, Michael W. Smith, DC Talk, Newsboys, De Garmo and Key, Nouveaux, Audio Adrenaline, Jars of Clay. . . I used to love all that s&*$. Well, a few songs were actually pretty good. But just like you, darv, I eventually realized that there was a world of better music out there. It was like stepp ...[text shortened]... nd into the sweet sunshine (I lived in the NW and "crossed over" in the early grunge period.)
Wow. The names you just listed sent a wave of nostalgia through me. While writing the original post, I could barely remember any of the bands I used to listen to. Your post just triggered several of those lost memories.

TP
Leak-Proof

under the sink

Moves
08 Apr 05

(I'm feeling old....)

I don't much care for "popular" music these days, and the"classic" rock stations play the same old songs over and over. So, when I listen to the radio, I'm generally tuning in the news/talk station or NPR. When I want to listen to music, I pop in a CD - Alas, my collection is aging. I still like to play the old DC Talk CDs from time to time, and Rich Mullins' music just gets better with age (since he's no longer making music in this world, I have to settle for that).

Some of the "newer" Christian "Rock" groups that I enjoy are PFR, Delirous, and Big Tent Revival. I think it is possible to make good music without sacrificing the "message," but given that so much popular music is just noise these days, it's no suprise that so much "Christian" music is as well. I also think that folks who are really serious about the "message" sometimes overemphasize it to the detriment of the music.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
08 Apr 05
1 edit

Edit:

Oh yes, I think the same song that had the sound bite
"you're running into the fire . . . running away from the pain"
There's this one xtian group I've been trying to remember. It was fairly popular in late eighties and early nineties. They had an eighties butt-rock sound. I only remember a few snatches of a few songs. I googled for their music, but haven't found anything.

One of the songs was like . . .

"Skyrocket . . . way up high, we're gonna ride, ride, ride"

And the other started with a sound clip of a horse race,

"And there off! and Morning Star quickly takes command with . . . on the outside"

Anyway used to love that group. Been too long to remember.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
08 Apr 05

Originally posted by darvlay
Wow. The names you just listed sent a wave of nostalgia through me.
Interesting, I only had waves of nausea.

d

Moves
08 Apr 05

Originally posted by Nemesio
Interesting, I only had waves of nausea.
Rec for you, Rickles!

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
08 Apr 05

darv, your location isn't a reference to a Petra song is it?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
08 Apr 05
2 edits

It's great free entertainment to turn on a christian music station and hear all the bad imitations of popular music. My favorite is an Eminem impersonater who is so obviously ripping off his style that the song is a 'letter' to Eminem! LOL

Edit: found the link to the lyrics...

http://www.christianlyricsonline.com/artists/kj-52/dear-slim-part-2.html

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
08 Apr 05
2 edits

Does he grab his balls and wave his hand in the air?