1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 04:39
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You know I do think your still pushing an insulting view...now that I read your statement
    again. The Christians that reject the Bible are good, or those that take the Word of God
    very seriously are brainwashed. Why don't you just stop while your behind.
    You're putting words in my mouth and dodging questions. Your reputation rings true.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 04:43
    Originally posted by vivify
    You're putting words in my mouth and dodging questions. Your reputation rings true.
    Did I change what you said, should I quote you exactly?

I answered your question, no more than someone who believes in science has all the
    answers. So yes, it can be true for some, and no for others, but all, hardly.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 04:47
    Doesn't scripture teach ever learning, but...never coming to the knowledge?
    It isn't combat us against them, it is just us...our war isn't with each other!
    Christ died for us all, we should love them, be kind since that is what God does to us.
    Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

(2 Timothy 3:7 KJV)

This describes those like the evolutionists that keep learning more and more and change their beliefs with the new knowledge, but are still never able to come to the knowledge of the truth in the scriptures, because they rely on man's wisdom rather than on God's.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 05:081 edit
    "When Christians collectively deny findings by scientists that have been arrived at through over a century of exhaustive study, evidence and peer review, simply because it contradicts the Bible--wouldn't that be a prime example of Christians not thinking for themselves?

What I just said isn't slamming Christians; it's simply the truth."

I'm a Christi ...[text shortened]... ld is filled with people, not all the best the brightest, and some
    who think they are, are not.
    I have a big problem with saying the earth is billions of years old because according to the word of God in the Holy Bible, man and the earth were created in the same six day period. so if the earth is billions of years old, then man also has to be billions of years old. The atheist evolutionists do not even make that insane claim.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 05:10
    With respect to the Bible and literalism, I do believe it is possible to view scripture as correct and still believe in Science, I just don't think that science can actually prove the truths in scripture if they are supernatural events, there it is blind. Not the fault of science or those that just believe in it, but I believe it to be a reality.
    Just so we are clear: opposition to literalism in no way disputes that the Bible is true and correct. The issue turns on how the Bible is understood.

Understanding the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, and the ancient Near Eastern cultures renders literalism impossible.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 05:12
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I have a big problem with saying the earth is billions of years old because according to the word of God in the Holy Bible, man and the earth were created in the same six day period. so if the earth is billions of years old, then man also has to be billions of years old. The atheist evolutionists do not even make that insane claim.
    You do not understand the Bible, although perhaps you do understand a flawed translation that was heavily overdetermined by dogmatic preconceptions.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 05:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    We have Rajk for that. He's all about showing other Christians "the error of their ways", as if such exists.

But even he has not a word for the literalists and the anti-science crowd.

/eyeroll
    It is the so-called anti-science crowd.

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called: Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

(1 Timothy 6:20-21 KJV)
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 05:29
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    You do not understand the Bible, although perhaps you do understand a flawed translation that was heavily overdetermined by dogmatic preconceptions.
    I understand Genesis chapter one very well because I have been inspired by the Holy Spirit to be ...

The Near Genius 😏

HalleluYaH !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 05:30
    Clearly not.

Man was the last to be created, was he not?

Each day was not twenty-four hours. I have no idea why you cling to this misinterpretation of Genesis. So even though Creation (the Big Bang) started 13.8 billion years ago, humans, the genus Homo, came about approx. 2.5 million years ago, the species Homo sapiens (modern humans) approx. 500,000 years ago, and the sub-species Homo sapiens sapiens (fully modern humans) approx. 200,000 years ago. Very clearly, each "day" in Genesis was not 24 hours. This is the problem with your misinterpretation. Once you buy into it, you have to keep making insane statements to continue the charade. The earth is 4.5 billion years old, but modern humans are nowhere near that old. Clearly, each "day" was not 24 hours.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 05:43
    Clearly not.

Man was the last to be created, was he not?

Each day was not twenty-four hours. I have no idea why you cling to this misinterpretation of Genesis. So even though Creation (the Big Bang) started 13.8 billion years ago, humans, the genus Homo, came about approx. 2.5 million years ago, the species Homo sapiens (modern humans) ...[text shortened]... n years old, but modern humans are nowhere near that old. Clearly, each "day" was not 24 hours.
    Each day of creation is an ordinary day that is determined by one complete rotation of the earth. The fact the days are numbered and is accompanied by the statement "evening and morning" proves they are ordinary days.

The Sabbath commandent also proves the days were ordinary days. Look it up in Exodus, if you don't believe me. 😏
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 05:54
    Each day of creation is an ordinary day that is determined by one complete rotation of the earth. The fact the days are numbered and is accompanied by the statement "evening and morning" proves they are ordinary days.

The Sabbath commandent also proves the days were ordinary days. Look it up in Exodus, if you don't believe me. 😏
    I didn't say you don't have an understanding of the Bible. I said you had misinterpreted it.

Just because the words "morning" and "evening" appear when speaking of the days, and just because the commandment to keep the Sabbath holy was included in the Ten Commandments as a memorial to God resting on the seventh day of creation, does not "automatically" mean the days were 24 hours. That wasn't the point of calling them days. The Torah was written for ancient man. Moses was describing God's Creation in a way that ancient man could understand. The bonus was it could be tied into the Ten Commandments. But this was written so that ancient man could grasp the ideas involved, while also writing in a way that modern man can understand as well, given his earned knowledge of the actual process of creation. The miracle of Genesis is that the creation story is made understandable to all of mankind, ancient and modern.

Except maybe the literalists. But your misunderstanding is your own fault.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 06:08
    I believe it is a young earth and universe, but I know to many people whose knowledge of
    scripture is very strong who believe in the gap between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 to
    just blow it off. I don't think God needed millions or billions of years to do what He is doing
    here, but can He use that much time, sure.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 06:08
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Just so we are clear: opposition to literalism in no way disputes that the Bible is true and correct. The issue turns on how the Bible is understood.

Understanding the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, and the ancient Near Eastern cultures renders literalism impossible.
    So you say!
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 08:572 edits
    I didn't say you don't have an understanding of the Bible. I said you had misinterpreted it.

Just because the words "morning" and "evening" appear when speaking of the days, and just because the commandment to keep the Sabbath holy was included in the Ten Commandments as a memorial to God resting on the seventh day of creation, does not "automatically" ...[text shortened]... cient and modern.

Except maybe the literalists. But your misunderstanding is your own fault.
    It is written, "God is not the author of confusion."

God was very clear that he meant ordinary days, since the Sabbath day is an ordinary day of a seven day week, and it is to represent the creation week, so we don't forget they are ordinary days. This is clearly not a prophecy were a day represents a year. The first chapter is history. I do not claim that for the next chapter, but there is nowhere that adding millions or billions of years make sense.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 22:14
    It is written, "God is not the author of confusion."

God was very clear that he meant ordinary days, since the Sabbath day is an ordinary day of a seven day week, and it is to represent the creation week, so we don't forget they are ordinary days. This is clearly not a prophecy were a day represents a year. The first chapter is history. I do not claim t ...[text shortened]... for the next chapter, but there is nowhere that adding millions or billions of years make sense.
    Of course it wouldn't make sense to a troll like you. You voluntarily gave up your human birthright decades ago when you decided not to think for yourself any more but to just listen to your creationist buddies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree