1. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 14:33
    marriage ceremonies are usually held with the intention of inviting friends and family to celebrate the spiritual and emotional bond that the two people already have. In it they restate for the community gathered what they have already promised each other in their hearts. that's where marriage truly happens...in the "heart"; its about the commitment not about the ceremony.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 14:45
    Originally posted by duecer

marriage ceremonies are usually held with the intention of inviting friends and family to celebrate the spiritual and emotional bond that the two people already have. In it they restate for the community gathered what they have already promised each other in their hearts. that's where marriage truly happens...in the "heart"; its about the commitment not about the ceremony.
    Consummation irrelevant (according to Scripture)?
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 15:35
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Same thing with gluttony. Evidently all the teaching that Jesus did against hypocrisy was meaningless to them.
    Funny, I asked you the same thing in your rant over here...
    Thread 132888
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 16:20
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Funny, I asked you the same thing in your rant over here...
    Thread 132888
    What "same thing"?
  5. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 17:093 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Consummation irrelevant (according to Scripture)?
    in ancient Israel the wedding ceremony consisted of putting your cloak around your spouse and taking them to bed. Once intercourse happened, the marriage was complete. It was not the elaborate ceremony we see today, but rather a mutual acknowledgement and agreed upon marriage by the two families (many were pre-arranged)

the actual act of marriage was the betrothal contract between the groom and the brides father. Once the deal was truck, they we officially considered married
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 17:44
    in ancient Israel the wedding ceremony consisted of putting your cloak around your spouse and taking them to bed. Once intercourse happened, the marriage was complete. It was not the elaborate ceremony we see today, but rather a mutual acknowledgement and agreed upon marriage by the two families (many were pre-arranged)

the actual act of marriage was the b ...[text shortened]... the groom and the brides father. Once the deal was truck, they we officially considered married
    And in the NT (applicable today)?
  7. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 17:51
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    And in the NT (applicable today)?
    NT didn't change anything. Marriage customs were and largely still are culturally based.
  8. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 18:29
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    How come so many Christians lash out at homosexuals while ignoring greed? Some of the greediest people I've met were members of the Religious Right.
    At least some of this has to do with the so-called "Prosperity Gospel" currently fashionable among some very influential and politically connected evangelical mega-churches. But it would be a shame to paint all evangelicals, or, more, all Christians, with this brush. That the really radical message of the NT has been commodified and packaged for folks already influenced by a materialistic culture doesn't reflect poorly on Christianity, but on us generally.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 18:33
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Seeing other' sins is easier than seeing their own.

Other than that, there is some deep psycological repulsion towards homosexuality, possibly because, deep down, everyone shares similar thoughts about sexuality.
    The gays can just handle it better in general.

I bet they dont think its as bad to have sex out of wedlock than to be gay.
    No I can honestly say I have no desire or thoughts to be with a man and I actually find nothing about it appealing. And because of that I think I handle my sexuality just fine.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 19:101 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    At least some of this has to do with the so-called "Prosperity Gospel" currently fashionable among some very influential and politically connected evangelical mega-churches. But it would be a shame to paint all evangelicals, or, more, all Christians, with this brush. That the really radical message of the NT has been commodified and packaged for folks alread ...[text shortened]... enced by a materialistic culture doesn't reflect poorly on Christianity, but on us generally.
    I don't see a "broad brush" here. I think his point was the hypocrisy that many Christians have of "lash[ing] out" at the "sin" of homosexuality while turning a blind eye towards other sins such as greed, gluttony, etc. in themselves or others.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 20:54
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    How come so many Christians lash out at homosexuals while ignoring greed? Some of the greediest people I've met were members of the Religious Right.
    I think a little qualification is warranted here. Which Christians 'lash' out? Which are actually greedy? Let's not turn anecdotal observations into generalisations.

As for your question, not all sins are perceived equally. In the Catholic Church, for example, there is a major division of sins between venial and mortal. Mortal sins concern grave matters whereas venial sins are generally inconsequential. There is also a distinction between contingent and intrinsic evils, contingent when the matter may sometimes be justified; intrinsic when it never can be. So for Catholics at least, there is no hypocrisy in addressing one sin over another. Homosexuality, as the Church perceives it, is an intrinsic evil of mortal kind, whereas the possession of wealth is morally neutral.
  12. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 21:09
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    [b]I think a little qualification is warranted here. Which Christians 'lash' out? Which are actually greedy? Let's not turn anecdotal observations into generalisations.
    how about these people? Is this lashing out?

http://www.godhatesfags.com/
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 21:29
    how about these people? Is this lashing out?

http://www.godhatesfags.com/
    Yes. Can you prove that they are greedy?
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 22:10
    This is one of the great sins of the modern western church. The hypocrisy is in that while they go about bashing gays these same are gluttons or have sex out of wed lock or what have you. To me this is the hypocrisy.

Manny
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 22:212 edits
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I think a little qualification is warranted here. Which Christians 'lash' out? Which are actually greedy? Let's not turn anecdotal observations into generalisations.

As for your question, not all sins are perceived equally. In the Catholic Church, for example, there is a major division of sins between venial and mortal. Mortal sins concern grave matters ...[text shortened]... it, is an intrinsic evil of mortal kind, whereas the possession of wealth is morally neutral.
    Just because an organization has chosen to formalize their hypocrisy doesn't make it any less so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree