1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Aug '10 18:57
    How come so many Christians lash out at homosexuals while ignoring greed? Some of the greediest people I've met were members of the Religious Right.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '10 19:01
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    How come so many Christians lash out at homosexuals while ignoring greed? Some of the greediest people I've met were members of the Religious Right.
    Same thing with gluttony. Evidently all the teaching that Jesus did against hypocrisy was meaningless to them.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Aug '10 21:531 edit
    Seeing other' sins is easier than seeing their own.

Other than that, there is some deep psycological repulsion towards homosexuality, possibly because, deep down, everyone shares similar thoughts about sexuality.
    The gays can just handle it better in general.

I bet they dont think its as bad to have sex out of wedlock than to be gay.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Aug '10 21:57
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Seeing other' sins is easier than seeing their own.

Other than that, there is some deep psycological repulsion towards homosexuality, possibly because, deep down, everyone shares similar thoughts about sexuality.
    The gays can just handle it better in general.

I bet they dont think its as bad to have sex out of wedlock than to be gay.
    Fornication is fornication. Sex outside of marriage.....
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Aug '10 22:12

Because they've remained babies since their point in time spiritual birth (acceptance

of the gift of eternal salvation through faith alone in Christ alone) and never grew up.

6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Aug '10 00:50
    Originally posted by galveston75
    And what is marriage? A piece of paper? Really? If you have kids you just want to do the best by them. Just because you didn't spend 10K on a wedding doesn't mean you are going to be any lesser parents than if you had.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '10 09:08
    thank you for explaining what fornication is, we have no dictionaries.

on a side note, the gays would love nothing more than to get married and have sex inside marriage. yet you deny that to them. then who's fault is it they have sex outside of marriage?

on a side side note, you missed the point of this thread. many gays are in love, never hurt anyone, and may even give to charity and odd enough, may even be religious. their only "flaw" is that they practice surprise butsex once in a while. so what the OP of this thread is trying to say is, why pay so much attention to the gays while there are so many rapists and murderers out there? i don't see you advocating to have the rapists rights restricted or removed.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Aug '10 11:18
    And greed it greed.
    So would you care to answer the question in the OP?
    And do you treat homosexuals the same as those who have sex outside marriage?
  9. England
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 10:23
    do they ignore greed?? most ignore thier own sins casting against others. But god wont ignore all sins
  10. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 12:041 edit
    And what is marriage? A piece of paper? Really? If you have kids you just want to do the best by them. Just because you didn't spend 10K on a wedding doesn't mean you are going to be any lesser parents than if you had.
    Good point.

I often questioned the point of marriage. Marriage is just an archaic religious ceremony ( -ignoring what difference it makes to your state-benefits –which brings up another point; why should partners be penalised for not getting married? ) that doesn’t confirm/prove commitment to your partner and is often completely meaningless to atheists that make love.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 12:43
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Good point.

I often questioned the point of marriage. Marriage is just an archaic religious ceremony ( -ignoring what difference it makes to your state-benefits –which brings up another point; why should partners be penalised for not getting married? ) that doesn’t confirm/prove commitment to your partner and is often completely meaningless to atheists that make love.
    Marriage is most definitely not "just an archaic religious ceremony".
    It is many things, including:
    1. a legally binding contract, which can to some extent protect the rights of the partners and their children.
    2. an official recognition of a relationship. This is much bigger than you might realize if you have not been married. In many ways, a marriage involves the parents and other family members of the couple as much as it involves the couple as it causes them to recognize the relationship as being permanent, and the two families become related etc.
    3. a commitment by the two people getting married.
    4. a declaration to others that your spouse is 'off limits'.

Of course, not all marriages involve all of the above. It is perfectly possible to get married in secret, or for purely legal reasons, or without any real commitment etc.
    But for most people marriage is far more significant than "an archaic religious ceremony".
    And in my case, there have never been any state benefits for being married.
  12. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 13:161 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    1. a legally binding contract, which can to some extent protect the rights of the partners and their children.
    2. an official recognition of a relationship. This is much bigger than you might realize if you have not been married. In many ways, a marriage us ceremony".
    All those points stem from an "archaic religious ceremony". That is where the foundations of marriage come from. Nothing to stop people having committed relationships without marriage.

Getting a divorce is a pain only because the law makes it so, and these laws stem from religious reasons as well (death do us part).

It is like having document describing a religion and putting a stamp on it to make it "official". I can understand why people would get married for convenience because of the law and peer pressure from families, but that is all it really is.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 13:55
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    2. an official recognition of a relationship. This is much bigger than you might realize if you have not been married. In many ways, a marriage ...[text shortened]... us ceremony".
    "An official recognition of a relationship". To me, if I see a couple with kids thats an official recognition. People dont go around with their marriage licenses pinned to their chest.

What I'm trying to get at here is that body language is a much stronger indicator of how good/strong a relationship is rather than a piece of paper.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 14:24
    Originally posted by lausey
    All those points stem from an "archaic religious ceremony". That is where the foundations of marriage come from.
    Thats simply not true. Marriage is more of a custom than a religious practice. Almost all societies have that custom regardless of their religion or lack of one. True most religions make marriage into a religious ceremony, but it remains largely custom.

Nothing to stop people having committed relationships without marriage.
    No there isn't. But as I pointed out, marriage is a lot more than 'having a committed relationship'.

Getting a divorce is a pain only because the law makes it so, and these laws stem from religious reasons as well (death do us part).
    Getting a divorce is a pain regardless of the law. I know, I have gone through what is essentially a non-legal divorce. (I am still legally married).
    Again, the legal part of it is not mostly religious. Its a recognition that marriage is a partnership and when that partnership is broken up certain rights need to be recognized and dealt with fairly (shared property, lost earnings etc).

It is like having document describing a religion and putting a stamp on it to make it "official". I can understand why people would get married for convenience because of the law and peer pressure from families, but that is all it really is.
    Maybe in some societies it is different. But where I come from, marriage makes your respective families a much larger part of the relationship.
    Even after a divorce, your ex-wife or ex-husband is still given much more recognition than an ex-boyfriend or ex-girlfriend. Relationships are formed between the two families involved and they may persist long after the marriage dissolves. All this may apply to a 'committed relationship' but a marriage tends to make the bond firmer and as I keep saying 'officially recognized'.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 14:32
    "An official recognition of a relationship". To me, if I see a couple with kids thats an official recognition.
    And if they don't have kids?

People dont go around with their marriage licenses pinned to their chest.
    Most put it on their finger - after having a massive ceremony to which all interested parties are invited. Come on! Do people where you come from all marry in secret and not wear wedding bands?

What I'm trying to get at here is that body language is a much stronger indicator of how good/strong a relationship is rather than a piece of paper.
    The piece of paper is largely irrelevant - except for legal reasons. And as I said, marriage is far more than an attempt at indicating how strong a relationship is. Its far more than a commitment. Its about telling your parents about your commitment, its about telling her parents about your commitment, its about telling all your friends about your commitment. Getting married is different from other relationships in that it involves others.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree