1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Dec '15 16:08
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It's not that the question you are asking is wrong per se, it's that it is impossible to classify a religion as a this or a that. If a Muslim claims Islam is a religion peace and he/she lives peacefully because of that religion, this it is a religion of peace to him. Same with Christianity. Same with science.
    It's a question about stereotypes, I think. I agree with you that religions mean different things to different individuals. I think what TW is getting at is the overall societal perception of a religion. Actions speak loudly and when many are done in the name of a particular religion, those actors control the societal narrative of that religion. Sure, it's not fair to the followers of said religion that completely disapprove of what is being done in the name of their religion. But it takes counter-action to take back control of the narrative.

I like what one Muslim group in California did. They took up a collection for the San Bernadino victims. That's how you counter a bad stereotype.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '15 16:13
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I like what one Muslim group in California did. They took up a collection for the San Bernadino victims. That's how you counter a bad stereotype.
    If the Debates Forum is anything to go by, one of the counterarguments in the US political domain regarding what that Muslim group in California did, is to 'point out' that Muhammad was a pedophile. 😕
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Dec '15 20:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    If the Debates Forum is anything to go by, one of the counterarguments in the US political domain regarding what that Muslim group in California did, is to 'point out' that Muhammad was a pedophile. 😕
    We only send our craziest people to Debates. The rest have better things to do with their time. 😛
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '15 20:561 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    We only send our craziest people to Debates. The rest have better things to do with their time. 😛
    A sort of Special Diplomatic Corps, then? 🙂
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Dec '15 22:12
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Quite the opposite infact.
    dry with depression?
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 01:03
    It's easy to be misunderstood isn't it 🙂
    Which is why guessing what I'm thinking and feeling, as opposed to dealing with what I
    say, is so misguided.

People are constantly guessing at what I think and feel behind my words, and they are almost
    always wrong.

You would think people would learn from this unmitigated failure and stop guessing.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 01:06
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    dry with depression?
    The opposite of excitement is not depression.

Boredom or ennui would be more accurate.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 08:01
    Which is why guessing what I'm thinking and feeling, as opposed to dealing with what I
    say, is so misguided.

People are constantly guessing at what I think and feel behind my words, and they are almost
    always wrong.

You would think people would learn from this unmitigated failure and stop guessing.
    Whoosh.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 10:20
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I have recently seen statements or debates along the lines of:
    Islam is a religion of peace (or not).
    What does it mean to say something about a religion, when it is well known that the adherent of any large religion have a wide diversity of beliefs or views.
    Can anything be said about Christianity in the format: Christianity is a religion of ...?
    Wou ...[text shortened]... u be talking about/for all Christians when you made the statement? The majority? Your own group?
    Christianity is a religion of ... life. Islam is a religion of ... death.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 10:341 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Christianity is a religion of ... life. Islam is a religion of ... death.
    But how do you possibly reconcile this cart blanche comment with your declared (but under scrutiny elsewhere) beliefs on eternal suffering?
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 18:19
    Sure, as long as we also talk about the MASSIVE reduction in death rates from science
    and technology in the form of medicine and shelter and nutrition and communication
    and quality of life improvements.

And then we can talk about all the ways religions have got in the way of those developments.

And then we can talk about the way that religions ...[text shortened]... ve posted it in.
    If you want your ass whooped feel free to create your own thread on the topic.
    And then we can talk about all the ways religions have got in the way of those developments.
    Except where they didn't and in those cases (such as the initiation of modern science) where it was the worship of God and a desire to know Him better through study of His creation which drove the efforts forward.

And then we can talk about the way that religions have no upsides to counter their downsides.
    Except those cases where religion was one of the main reasons for the development and/or discovery, such as was the case in the discovery of the New World and etc..

Or you could realise that we ALWAYS win this argument and not bother.
    Not sure who the "we" is that you're imagining in this scenario, but what is achingly clear is that you have literally no clue about history.

And the hits just keep on comin'!
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 19:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    A sort of Special Diplomatic Corps, then? 🙂
    No, more of a ‘push our problem off on someone else' thing.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 20:07
    But how do you possibly reconcile this cart blanche comment with your declared (but under scrutiny elsewhere) beliefs on eternal suffering?
    Jesus said,

"These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
    Matthew 25:46

Those that are punished eternally are not annihilated, but continue to exist in torment in a place where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED (Mark 9:44).
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 21:24
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Jesus said,

"These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
    Matthew 25:46

Those that are punished eternally are not annihilated, but continue to exist in torment in a place where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED (Mark 9:44).
    All written by folks decades after the alleged words of JC. So you actually believe explicitly, second hand accounts. Which figures since you are so gullible and you don't even know it and never will.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 06:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    All written by folks decades after the alleged words of JC. So you actually believe explicitly, second hand accounts. Which figures since you are so gullible and you don't even know it and never will.
    I am not required to know it, only to believe it.
    ...that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.
    Romans 10:9-10

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree