Moves
    22 Jul '05 18:47
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 19:231 edit
    Originally posted by Serendipity
    I see you have given us all your thoughts now... haven't ya.

P-
  3. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 19:36
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I see you have given us all your thoughts now... haven't ya.

P-
    ha ha.
    1 timothy 2:11-14
    "let a woman learn in silence with full submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach, or to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. Also, Adam was not decieved, but the woman was thoroughly decieved and came to be in transgression."

Thats simple and straight forwards enough. There should not be woman priests, because the bible says woman arent allowed. Thats from God, all scripture is inspired of God.
  4. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 19:48
    Eve is largely blamed for the Fall of Man in the Old Testament.

In the New Testament, Jesus' apostles are all males. Jesus himself is male. The OT God is very masculine. So apparently if God has a gender, it is definitely male, according to Judeo-Christianity. Not only is woman not God, she is clearly problematic (Eve), as viewed through biblical doctrine. An even more profoundly clear statement on that is in the Gospel of Thomas, where Jesus supposedly says that "every woman who becomes male will enter the kingdom of heaven". So yes, it could easily be argued that this is all a foundation for sexism to a profound degree.

Eastern teachings like Taoism (with its Yin-Yang balance) or Buddhism which doesn't even touch the issue of supreme deity, let alone gender of such a deity, have less of this going on (although this issue can be found in Buddhism as well; apparently the Buddha denied women entry into his religious community at first, and when he finally agreed, said it would bring about the end of his religion faster). Hinduism does posit a supreme Being, "Brahman", which is often viewed as masculine, but feminine expressions of this deity abound within its polytheism (Kali, Shakti, Durga, Tara, etc.). In fact, India is the only major culture where the feminine forms of the divine are still strongly prevalent.

Spiritual teachings like Tantra delve deeply into male/female differences, and I think that some of these teachings exist in esoteric forms in doctrines like the Bible, but are not usually interpreted that way. All that seems plainly obvious is that Eve is cursed (Gensis 3:16), as the prototype woman who is to be "ruled over" by her man.

Some Gnostic teachings view this all in reverse, incidentally, putting forth the idea that the Serpent is the teacher, bringing free will to humanity, and that Eve has the greater courage to explore this free will. Jehovah is simply the custodian, and as such shows all the personality traits of the controller, both good and bad. Free will in that sense is necessary in order to establish separation, a process in some schools of psychology called "differentiation". Without this phase in development, maturity is not possible. So the entire process of Mankind's spiritual redemption and maturation could not have occured without Eve's rebellion. Eastern teaching also refer to this process in cycles of reincarnation wherein the soul cannot properly evolve without first exploring the lures of Maya and Shakti, the goddesses of the manifest universe.
  5. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 20:34
    Originally posted by Metamorphosis

In the New Testament, Jesus' apostles are all males. Jesus himself is male. The OT God is very masculine. So apparently if God has a gender, it is definitely male, according to Judeo-Christianity. Not only is woman not God, she is clearly problematic (Eve), as viewed through biblical d ...[text shortened]... e without first exploring the lures of Maya and Shakti, the goddesses of the manifest universe.
    Nice post!!!!

Lets face it we need women. But the male should show love and deep respect for her as her head, as she is the weaker vessel (emotionally). But i couldnt live without a woman, tho i am at the moment :'(
  6. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 20:492 edits
    Originally posted by Serendipity
    christianity is sexist....thoughts??
    Absolutely. If there has ever been a group that frightened the dickens out of men in power... it's women.

Pretty sad I had to edit that twice.
  7. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 20:56
    Originally posted by wib
    Absolutely. If there has ever been a group that frightened the dickens out of men in power... it's women.

Pretty sad I had to edit that twice.
    was it the dickens part?
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 21:28

In the New Testament, Jesus' apostles are all males. Jesus himself is male. The OT God is very masculine. So apparently if God has a gender, it is definitely male, according to Judeo-Christianity. Not only is woman not God, she is clearly problematic (Eve), as viewed through biblical d ...[text shortened]... e without first exploring the lures of Maya and Shakti, the goddesses of the manifest universe.
    This is the full quote from Thomas:

114) Simon Peter said to Him, "Let Mary leave us, for women are not worthy of Life." Jesus said, "I myself shall lead her in order to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every woman who will make herself male will enter the Kingdom of Heaven."

not too different in concept from:

Matthew 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
  9. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 21:52
    Originally posted by frogstomp

114) Simon Peter said to Him, "Let Mary leave us, for women are not worthy of Life." Jesus said, "I myself shall lead her in order to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every woman who will make herself male will enter the Kingdom of Heaven."

not too different ...[text shortened]... rrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
    whats the exact scripture in the bible? i wanna look it up.
  10. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 22:16
    Originally posted by dale21
    whats the exact scripture in the bible? i wanna look it up.
    Since it's Gnostic Christian and at odds with Paulian doctrine you won't find it in anybook that the Paulines had any say in what goes in it.
  11. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 22:24
    whats the exact scripture in the bible?
    http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gthlamb.html

Be careful. The Church has declared that stuff heretical. Doesn't follow the program and all. You know. <wink, wink>
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    23 Jul '05 01:47
    Originally posted by David C
    http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gthlamb.html

Be careful. The Church has declared that stuff heretical. Doesn't follow the program and all. You know. <wink, wink>
    Phooey!

13. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    23 Jul '05 02:47
    Originally posted by frogstomp

not too different ...[text shortened]... rrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
    What do you make of that Thomas quote? Personally I suspect a problem with translation....probably what was intended was something more along the lines of "becoming committed" or "becoming focussed" or some other quality that somehow got translated as "male".
  14. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    23 Jul '05 02:50
    Nice post!!!!

Lets face it we need women. But the male should show love and deep respect for her as her head, as she is the weaker vessel (emotionally). But i couldnt live without a woman, tho i am at the moment :'(
    Men and women are great teachers for each other precisely because of the polarization, but in the realm of spiritual teachings feminine spirituality has in all likelihood been repressed over the centuries or suffered the ravages of time because it was not usually committed to texts. This seems to be true in the north Indian Tantric schools as well as in the pagan/Hermetic traditions.
  15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    23 Jul '05 03:09
    What do you make of that Thomas quote? Personally I suspect a problem with translation....probably what was intended was something more along the lines of "becoming committed" or "becoming focussed" or some other quality that somehow got translated as "male".
    More along the lines that neither were going to have gender. That's why I used the Matthew quote. It makes sense that an all male clergy would see that as a drawback on getting men to become christians.
    Lol "you mean I'm gonna lose what????? ,,Some paradise 🙁"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree