1. Joined
    15 Jul '07
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 12:53
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    One way to explain rebirth is to think of all existence as one big ocean. An individual is a phenomenon of existence in the same way a wave is a phenomenon of ocean. A wave begins, moves across the surface of the water, then dissipates. While it exists, a wave is distinct from ocean yet is never separate from ocean. In the same way, that which is reborn is not the same person, yet is not separate from the same person.
    You're still stuck in this world. Different wave or not.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 20:181 edit
    Originally posted by C U Soon
    You're still stuck in this world. Different wave or not.
    That is, of course, not true. Please actually read the links. "This world" is a delusion.
  3. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 20:25
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I don’t know what “most” Buddhists believe. However, at least Mahayana Buddhism seems to be mostly nondualist, as opposed to dualistic theism.

Again, however, even within Mahayana, I am most familiar with Zen. The point is that, whether one wants to call it a philosophy or a religion, Buddhism does not depend on a (dualistic) theistic god or gods. The ...[text shortened]... tjoff Schuon calls “exoterism” and “esoterism” in his The Transcendent Unity of Religions
    "most" buddist are of asian descent; buddists of euro descent typically profess athiesm, asian buddist generally do not. buddism is wrapped into there cultural superstitions etc
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 20:381 edit
    Originally posted by duecer
    "most" buddist are of asian descent; buddists of euro descent typically profess athiesm, asian buddist generally do not. buddism is wrapped into there cultural superstitions etc
    "Cultural superstitions"?

You sound like you were some type of "New Ager" with very little understanding of actual Buddhism or Buddhists. The links I gave should help you as well.
  5. At the Revolution
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 20:49
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Lets see ...

Intolerant?
    Stuck in the Dark Ages?
    Violent?
    Lacking in compassion?
    Fanatical?

Right so far?
    No, no, no, no, and no. Once again, I'm struck by your narrow-mindedness.
  6. Joined
    15 Jul '07
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 21:10
    That is, of course, not true. Please actually read the links. "This world" is a delusion.
    no need to read it. i've got my faith. i know what i believe. you're the one who should do some reading, try maybe the christian bible.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 21:351 edit
    no need to read it. i've got my faith. i know what i believe. you're the one who should do some reading, try maybe the christian bible.
    I've read it; it's pretty disgusting with all those God ordered mass murders. Seeking the path of self-enlightenment seems quite a bit preferable to grovelling before a non-existent Monster God.

In the future, perhaps you should try learning something about a philosophy before you make incorrect claims about it. Just a thought.
  8. Joined
    15 Jul '07
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 21:38
    I've read it; it's pretty disgusting with all those God ordered mass murders. Seeking the path of self-enlightenment seems quite a bit preferable to grovelling before a non-existent Monster God.
    suit yourself.

(2Co 4:4 GNB) They do not believe, because their minds have been kept in the dark by the evil god of this world. He keeps them from seeing the light shining on them, the light that comes from the Good News about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

i rest my case
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 21:45
    suit yourself.

(2Co 4:4 GNB) They do not believe, because their minds have been kept in the dark by the evil god of this world. He keeps them from seeing the light shining on them, the light that comes from the Good News about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

i rest my case
    You rested your mind a long time ago apparently. Quoting some semi-savage from 2000 years ago saying how everybody should believe what he does doesn't terribly impress me.
  10. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 21:51
    Originally posted by RosnahMegatIbrahim
    What is the difference between the three religions I wonder? I want to find one that suits mine. Please advise. Thanks.
    Are you interested in truth or are you choosing your religion like you might choose a pair of shoes in a shop?
  11. Joined
    15 Jul '07
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 21:53
    You rested your mind a long time ago apparently. Quoting some semi-savage from 2000 years ago saying how everybody should believe what he does doesn't terribly impress me.
    semi-savage? even though it is correct?
    i'm not trying to impress anybody
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 21:58
    semi-savage? even though it is correct?
    i'm not trying to impress anybody
    Obviously you're succeeding.

There is nothing "correct" in the passage you quote. It's just a claim by a believer in one thing that anybody who believes differently is wrong (misled by an "evil god"😉. This is a fairly common claim by believers of many primitive and not so primitive religions.
  13. Joined
    15 Jul '07
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 22:05
    Obviously you're succeeding.

There is nothing "correct" in the passage you quote. It's just a claim by a believer in one thing that anybody who believes differently is wrong (misled by an "evil god"😉. This is a fairly common claim by believers of many primitive and not so primitive religions.
    the passage doesn't only make the statement that you are wrong in your belief, but also that because of that belief you can't see the truth.

just by replying in that manner you just proved that statement.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 22:43
    the passage doesn't only make the statement that you are wrong in your belief, but also that because of that belief you can't see the truth.

just by replying in that manner you just proved that statement.
    Rather unsurprisingly, you don't know what you're talking about. Such a vacuous claim can't be "proved" and it certainly can't be "proved" by someone saying it's a bunch of nonsense. You should get your head out of the Bible (though you seem to have little knowledge of it) and try a book on Elementary Logic.
  15. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 22:45
    "Cultural superstitions"?

You sound like you were some type of "New Ager" with very little understanding of actual Buddhism or Buddhists. The links I gave should help you as well.
    Let me repeat, I was a practicing buddust for over 10 years, I think I know a bit about the subject.

All cultures have superstitions...all....all of them...without exception....get it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree