1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 01:011 edit
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Not Christianity. Islam's fine; Buddhism's fine. Islam is an Abrahamic faith that believes that a single God's word was carried by a line of prophets, but the prophet Mohammed was the only prophet to directly record the word of God, so his word is most accurate. Buddhism is a Vedic faith that believes in multiple Gods. Not too sure about its actual beliefs.
    Most Buddhists don't believe in any God(s) at all.

Buddhism is non-theistic. The Buddha taught that believing in gods was not useful for those seeking to realize enlightenment.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/a/basicshub.htm
  2. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 01:28
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Most Buddhists don't believe in any God(s) at all.

Buddhism is non-theistic. The Buddha taught that believing in gods was not useful for those seeking to realize enlightenment.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/a/basicshub.htm
    from your link: Buddhism is so different from other religions that some people question whether it is a religion at all. For example, the central focus of most religions is God, or gods. But Buddhism is non-theistic. The Buddha taught that believing in gods was not useful for those seeking to realize enlightenment.

I practiced buddism for over 10 years. There is a difference between not relying on diety for enlightenment, and not believing in diety. The budda teaches that it is not useful, not that it isn't true. most buddist do in fact believe that there are powers that exist on higher planes of existances.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 02:45
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Not Islam, Christianity is fine; Buddhism's fine.
    Anything is fine except Islam.
    Islam is based on the teachings of Mohammed who was a child molester and a murderer. He preached violence. He is directly responsible for the religious fanaticism that plagues the muslim world
    - the killing of apostates ie muslims who leave Islam and go to say Christianity a ...[text shortened]... ch Islam before joining because its a one way street. You cant change your mind after you join.
    Scherzo had the class to only talk up his preferred choice instead of smearing the alternative. If you represent Christianity then Islam's looking far preferable based only on this thread.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 03:22
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Scherzo had the class to only talk up his preferred choice instead of smearing the alternative. If you represent Christianity then Islam's looking far preferable based only on this thread.
    Class. Yep. Thats when you whitewash the truth and make it sound nice. Its like a kind of political correctness .. like when you kill out a race you call it ethnic cleansing. Calling the killers sickening murderers is unclassy.

So exactly what part of what I said is untrue?
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 03:46
    Originally posted by RosnahMegatIbrahim
    What is the difference between the three religions I wonder? I want to find one that suits mine. Please advise. Thanks.
    There are admirable tenets in Islam and Buddhism, but the difference is salvation and eternal life, which only Christianity can provide.
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 03:53
    Not Christianity. Islam's fine; Buddhism's fine. Islam is an Abrahamic faith that believes that a single God's word was carried by a line of prophets, but the prophet Mohammed was the only prophet to directly record the word of God, so his word is most accurate. Buddhism is a Vedic faith that believes in multiple Gods. Not too sure about its actual beliefs.
    No, Buddhists do not “believe in multiple gods”. If any Buddhists use theistic language, you should probably consider it to be metaphorical. Buddhism should be considered closer to Advaita Vedanta than to more theistic expressions of Hinduism.

With that said, I am not as familiar with all schools of Buddhism as I am with Zen. A given Buddhist might well have theistic beliefs—but they are in addition to basic Buddhism. Although various Buddhists hold to various metaphysical speculations, according to at least some accounts the Buddha eschewed such things. Again, however, I am most familiar with Zen accounts. A Zen Buddhist may, for example, believe in reincarnation of some sort—or she may not.
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 04:07
    Originally posted by duecer
    from your link: Buddhism is so different from other religions that some people question whether it is a religion at all. For example, the central focus of most religions is God, or gods. But Buddhism is non-theistic. The Buddha taught that believing in gods was not useful for those seeking to realize enlightenment.

I practiced buddism for over 10 years. ...[text shortened]... ost buddist do in fact believe that there are powers that exist on higher planes of existances.
    I don’t know what “most” Buddhists believe. However, at least Mahayana Buddhism seems to be mostly nondualist, as opposed to dualistic theism.

Again, however, even within Mahayana, I am most familiar with Zen. The point is that, whether one wants to call it a philosophy or a religion, Buddhism does not depend on a (dualistic) theistic god or gods. The same is true for Advaita Vedanta within Hinduism (it can’t be classed as anything other than nondualist essentially); Kashmiri Shaivism, despite it’s more (Shiva) theistic language, also cannot be properly understood unless one treats its theistic language as purely metaphorical/symbolic within a strictly nondualist framework.

People need to grasp that the great spiritual divide is between nondualism and dualism; there are other divides as well (e.g., formalism versus non-formalism*), but they may well derive from this one.

* This is my language for what Fritjoff Schuon calls “exoterism” and “esoterism” in his The Transcendent Unity of Religions
  8. At the Revolution
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 23:02
    Originally posted by whodey
    What about Judism? Do you feel that that religion is OK as well? THen again, if you want a one man show like Mohammad being God's voice to mankind, then perhaps Mormanism and Joseph Smith is your cup of tea?
    He didn't ask about Judaism. I have nothing against it.
  9. At the Revolution
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 23:02
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Class. Yep. Thats when you whitewash the truth and make it sound nice. Its like a kind of political correctness .. like when you kill out a race you call it ethnic cleansing. Calling the killers sickening murderers is unclassy.

So exactly what part of what I said is untrue?
    Everything. You have no idea what Islam is.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 23:09
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    There are admirable tenets in Islam and Buddhism, but the difference is salvation and eternal life, which only Christianity can provide.
    Christianity makes that claim; so what? So do many other religions.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 23:19
    Everything. You have no idea what Islam is.
    Lets see ...

Intolerant?
    Stuck in the Dark Ages?
    Violent?
    Lacking in compassion?
    Fanatical?

Right so far?
  12. Joined
    15 Jul '07
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 12:13
    Christianity makes that claim; so what? So do many other religions.
    Do they?

According to the buddhist, you will be stuck on earth forever more. Coming back to try again and again. That's not salvation, eternal life maybe...

In the islamic religion, you will receive 'physical pleasures' in the jannah after death. Even though it's the physical that caused your death. They also believe that some sins will 'condemn' you to hell. Salvation?

Christianity offers salvation for every sin and offers eternal life beyond the physical.

True that other religions claim to offer what christianity gives you, pity they're misleading so many people
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 12:331 edit
    Originally posted by C U Soon
    Do they?

According to the buddhist, you will be stuck on earth forever more. Coming back to try again and again. That's not salvation, eternal life maybe...

In the islamic religion, you will receive 'physical pleasures' in the jannah after death. Even though it's the physical that caused your death. They also believe that some sins will 'condemn' you ...[text shortened]... igions claim to offer what christianity gives you, pity they're misleading so many people
    You are, of course, completely incorrect about Buddhism. That's no surprise; most Christians on this site are abysmally ignorant of the tenets of Eastern philosophies.

I fail to see much of a difference in Islam and Christianity as regards salvation. Some go to paradise, some go to damnation in each faith. Many Christians believe you get some kind of "new" body that lives eternally. There are differences in details, but not in the central belief in salvation for the believer.

So, Christian tenets regarding salvation and eternal life aren't anything unique or special.

EDIT: Here's a nice metaphor for the Buddhist concept of "rebirth":

One way to explain rebirth is to think of all existence as one big ocean. An individual is a phenomenon of existence in the same way a wave is a phenomenon of ocean. A wave begins, moves across the surface of the water, then dissipates. While it exists, a wave is distinct from ocean yet is never separate from ocean. In the same way, that which is reborn is not the same person, yet is not separate from the same person.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/karmaandrebirth/a/karmarebirth.htm

In fact, Buddhists don't believe "you" exist in any meaningful way. See http://buddhism.about.com/od/whatistheself/a/skandhasnoself.htm
  14. Joined
    15 Jul '07
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 12:40
    You are, of course, completely incorrect about Buddhism...[text shortened]...There are differences in details...
    If i'm incorrect about buddhism, be so kind to show my errors.

The differences in detail is..well...my point.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 12:45
    Originally posted by C U Soon
    If i'm incorrect about buddhism, be so kind to show my errors.

The differences in detail is..well...my point.
    See my edit above.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree