1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 05:52
    Originally posted by huntingbear
    I'm a hundred percent with you on this one, AThousandYoung. I was just tonight at www.carm.org and I was really disappointed to a see a section entitled "Cut and Past Information."* It was material specifically intended to be pasted into chats and forums. I don't think this should be encouraged! Your case may be an exception for its mot ...[text shortened]... //www.carm.org/cut.htm
    I'm going to email them and complain about this. They're spam-mongers!
    Wow.

From the aforementioned "Cut and Paste Information" section of carm.org.

This section is designed for use by Christians who need quick, easy information to quote and cut and paste into internet discussions where they defend the faith on and against various topics.

This is pathetic.

Can you imagine if atheists did this too? There would be a whole "discussion" in which the people doing the discussing wrote absolutely nothing.

Apparently there are a lot of Christians who can't think for themselves yet insist on pretending like they can.
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:41
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Wow.

From the aforementioned "Cut and Paste Information" section of carm.org.

[b]This section is designed for use by Christians who need quick, easy information to quote and cut and paste into internet discussions where they defend the faith on and against various topics.

This is pathetic.

Can you imagine if atheists did this too? Th ...[text shortened]... are a lot of Christians who can't think for themselves yet insist on pretending like they can.[/b]
    The point is that a lot of atheists use the same weak arguments, and it saves time to be able to cut and paste. However, if the atheist presents an original argument, it is impossible to cut and paste a rebuttal.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:501 edit
    Originally posted by Darfius
    The point is that a lot of atheists use the same weak arguments, and it saves time to be able to cut and paste. However, if the atheist presents an original argument, it is impossible to cut and paste a rebuttal.
    There's a problem though. Often the copied rebuttals are themselves weak. I don't know of any websites that have copy-paste articles rebutting the rebuttals; I haven't even tried to look. I think it would be an insult to the person I am talking to. I'm here to speak on my own behalf, not refer others to other websites.

I have copied and pasted my own posts a few times - but that's my own material. Can't people at least write their own rebuttals once and then copy-paste that? If dj2becker posts, I want to read what dj2becker has written and what he thinks. I'm not going to waste my time analyzing something he didn't even write over and over and over again. This has nothing to do with whether I can or not. It has to do with being unwilling to put more into the discussion than he is willing to put in.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:51
    "What is atheism?"

Atheism is characterized by an absence of belief in the existence of gods. This absence of belief generally comes about either through deliberate choice, or from an inherent inability to believe religious teachings which seem literally incredible. It is not a lack of belief born out of simple ignorance of religious teachings.
    ...[text shortened]... or sure whether God exists. Some agnostics believe that we can never know.

To be continued...
    So atheism is the belief in a null value when we look at God, god, or
    gods?
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:52
    There's a problem though. Often the copied rebuttals are themselves weak. I don't know of any websites that have copy-paste articles rebutting the rebuttals; I haven't even tried to look. I think it would be an insult to the person I am talking to. I'm here to speak on my own behalf, not refer others to other websites.

I have copied and pas ...[text shortened]... It has to do with being unwilling to put more into the discussion than he is willing to put in.
    Good point. I wouldn't answer an atheist who continually copied and pasted, but I would make allowance for the occasional.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 07:36
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    So atheism is the belief in a null value when we look at God, god, or
    gods?
    Kelly
    LOL. Actually I didn't even read the article. I skimmed some of it. I'm not sure how the author defines the word atheism.

I define atheism as a lack of belief in gods. One can also believe in the lack of gods, which is the same thing you said, I think - "belief in a null value".

As far as what I believe, well...it depends on how we define 'belief'. I think that there are probably no gods, but I am by no means highly confident that this claim is true. I think it's more accurate to say that I don't know how many gods there are.

I think I could use the word belief more specifically if a specific definition was provided.
  7. e2
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 09:33
    Can you imagine if atheists did this too? There would be a whole "discussion" in which the people doing the discussing wrote absolutely nothing.
    I think we'd have to have a new forum for that.
  8. Joined
    15 Nov '02
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 12:20
    Now please respond to every point made one by one.
    Have you not heard that the wisdom of men is foolishness to God?

Psalm 2

1 Why do the nations conspire
    and the peoples plot in vain?

2 The kings of the earth take their stand

and the rulers gather together

against the LORD

and against his Anointed One.

3 "Let us break their chains," they say,

"and throw off their fetters."

4 The One enthroned in heaven laughs;

the Lord scoffs at them.

5 Then he rebukes them in his anger

and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,

6 "I have installed my King

on Zion, my holy hill."

7 I will proclaim the decree of the LORD :

He said to me, "You are my Son;

today I have become your Father.

8 Ask of me,

and I will make the nations your inheritance,

the ends of the earth your possession.

9 You will rule them with an iron scepter;

you will dash them to pieces like pottery."

10 Therefore, you kings, be wise;

be warned, you rulers of the earth.

11 Serve the LORD with fear

and rejoice with trembling.

12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry

and you be destroyed in your way,

for his wrath can flare up in a moment.

Blessed are all who take refuge in him.

9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 12:29
    Originally posted by Acts29
    Have you not heard that the wisdom of men is foolishness to God?

Psalm 2

1 Why do the nations conspire
    and the peoples plot in vain?

2 The kings of the earth take their stand

and the rulers gather together

against the LORD

and against his Anointed One.

3 "Let us break their chains," they say,

...[text shortened]... for his wrath can flare up in a moment.

Blessed are all who take refuge in him.

Do you have a point or did you accidentally slip over the 'ctrl' and 'v' keys, before falling onto 'enter'?
  10. Joined
    15 Nov '02
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 12:33
    Do you have a point or did you accidentally slip over the 'ctrl' and 'v' keys, before falling onto 'enter'?
    mmm, are you that blind?
    It means we use our brains and our bodies, given to us by God, to battle against God ... seems silly, doesn't it?
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 12:42
    mmm, are you that blind?
    It means we use our brains and our bodies, given to us by God, to battle against God ... seems silly, doesn't it?
    Ahh, so you can say something that isn't in scripture format. The question is, does it have anything at all to do with the discussion? Afterall, this is a discussion forum, and pasting scripture references is somewhat outside the general flow of how a discussion is supposed to work. Perhaps you'd like to respond to a post someone made countering their arguement or developing their points?
  12. Joined
    15 Nov '02
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 12:54
    Ahh, so you can say something that isn't in scripture format. The question is, does it have anything at all to do with the discussion? Afterall, this is a discussion forum, and pasting scripture references is somewhat outside the general flow of how a discussion is supposed to work. Perhaps you'd like to respond to a post someone made countering their arguement or developing their points?
    An argument against God tries to look wise although it is foolish. The Word of God sums up an argument against God ... it is something done in vain. Proverbs says,
    Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 13:02
    An argument against God tries to look wise although it is foolish. The Word of God sums up an argument against God ... it is something done in vain. Proverbs says,
    It also says that the one who says there is no God is a fool....
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 13:03
    Anyone that believes in something which is not proveable is a fool. And in being so, anyone who then condemns those who disagree with such foolishness is the very essence of foolishness.

Proverbs are stories designed to help in understanding a point, they are metaphors. They are not a reasonable substitute for rational thought.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 13:18
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Anyone that believes in something which is not proveable is a fool. And in being so, anyone who then condemns those who disagree with such foolishness is the very essence of foolishness.

Proverbs are stories designed to help in understanding a point, they are metaphors. They are not a reasonable substitute for rational thought.
    Anyone that believes in something which is not proveable is a fool.

Are you saying that a person that believes something like evolution which is not proveable, is a fool?

And are you also saying that anyone who condems a person that does not believe in evolution is the very essense of foolishness? 🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree