Christians/Muslims

Christians/Muslims

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
05 Jun 17

Originally posted by apathist
treat (a person or an animal) with cruelty or violence, especially regularly or repeatedly.
Yes, psychological abuse may involve cruelty, if not violence.

F

Moves
05 Jun 17
1 edit

Originally posted by dj2becker
...in essence you are claiming that I was psychologically used for a bad purpose.
No I am not. I am not talking about 'abuse of power' or 'abuse of funds' or 'abuse of whammy bar' on a shredding guitar solo. I am not talking about that usage of the word "abuse", as I think you well know. I am pointing out that your own testimony and the treatment meted out to fellow victims whose testimonies you suggested we read reveal psychological abuse.

Moves
05 Jun 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
'Psychological abuse (also referred to as psychological violence, emotional abuse, or mental abuse) is a form of abuse, characterized by a person subjecting, or exposing, another person to behavior that may result in psychological trauma, including anxiety, chronic depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder.[1][2][3] Such abuse is often associated ...[text shortened]... ki/Psychological_abuse (Your kind of site).

You can add to that list 'belonging to a cult.'
Sorry but I don't remember experiencing any psychological trauma, including anxiety, chronic depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder. So there you have it.

F

Moves
05 Jun 17

Sorry but I don't remember experiencing any psychological trauma, including anxiety, chronic depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder. So there you have it.
Well you can hardly be objective can you if you were the victim of the abuse?

Moves
05 Jun 17

Originally posted by FMF
No I am not. I am not talking about 'abuse of power' or 'abuse of funds' or 'abuse of whammy bar' on a shredding guitar solo. I am not talking about that usage of the word "abuse", as I think you well know. I am pointing out that your own testimony and the treatment meted out to fellow victims whose testimonies you suggested we read reveal psychological abuse.
Yes I did and I didn't suffer any of the symptoms of psychological abuse mentioned so that settles it then.

F

Moves
05 Jun 17

Yes I did and I didn't suffer any of the symptoms of psychological abuse mentioned so that settles it then.
So you say. So you reckon you survived the psychological abuse that you described unscathed?

Moves
05 Jun 17

Originally posted by FMF
Well you can hardly be objective can you if you were the victim of the abuse?
We are talking about me supposedly 'experiencing psychological trauma, including anxiety, chronic depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder' are we not? Do you think you are in a better position that me to decide whether I experienced those symptoms? 🙄

Moves
05 Jun 17

And still you have not specified which definition of 'abuse' you are referring to. Do you mind quoting a dictionary definition instead of shifting the goal posts at every turn.
Psychological abuse often involves a power imbalance and a controlling environment. The description you gave of what occurred in your cult clearly fits this category of abuse.

(I have a working knowledge in this area. Why do i require a dictionary?)

Moves
05 Jun 17

Originally posted by FMF
So you say. So you reckon you survived the psychological abuse that you described unscathed?
In order to diagnose someone as suffering from psychological abuse you have to identify the symptoms. You would make a fine shrink diagnosing someone who doesn't have any of the symptoms.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
05 Jun 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke... gaslighting, ...
I did not know that term. It refers to a movie!

Is our grasp on reality so weak.

Moves
05 Jun 17

Psychological abuse often involves a power imbalance and a controlling environment. The description you gave of what occurred in your cult clearly fits this category of abuse.

(I have a working knowledge in this area. Why do i require a dictionary?)
For someone to be diagnosed as suffering from psychological abuse they need to be diagnosed with the following symptoms: "psychological trauma, including anxiety, chronic depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder." Not everyone that experiences a power imbalance or a controlling environment suffers psychological abuse. There is a power imbalance and a controlling environment in my classroom but none of my students ever complain that they suffer psychological abuse. You obviously suck at being a shrink. 😛

F

Moves
05 Jun 17
1 edit

In order to diagnose someone as suffering from psychological abuse you have to identify the symptoms. You would make a fine shrink diagnosing someone who doesn't have any of the symptoms.
The circumstance you were in were clearly an environment of relentless psychological abuse by your own admission. The degree to which you claim to be scathed or unscathed is neither here nor there. If it had been sexual abuse, and you had ended up happy and seemingly unaffected, would it mean you weren't sexually abused?

Moves
05 Jun 17

We are talking about me supposedly 'experiencing psychological trauma, including anxiety, chronic depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder' are we not? Do you think you are in a better position that me to decide whether I experienced those symptoms? 🙄
'You' described a situation of psychological abuse. Whether or not you got through it unscathed doesn't detract from the psychological abuse you described.

If a woman was to describe a situation of sexual abuse, but then went on to say she suffered no trauma as a consequence, would you question the validity of the sexual abuse?!

F

Moves
05 Jun 17

When I put this to you in response to your revelations about the abuse you suffered: "Well your unpleasant experience has certainly taken its toll on you in interpersonal terms as a conversationalist and as a promoter of your current beliefs manner and rhetorical tricks are like those of someone who is still trapped in a cult."

Your reply was "It's one thing to get out of a cult but it is another thing to get the cult out of you."

I think there may be some symptoms of how you were maltreated as a child and youth in your behaviour to this day. Maybe you weren't unscathed.

Moves
05 Jun 17
1 edit

'You' described a situation of psychological abuse. Whether or not you got through it unscathed doesn't detract from the psychological abuse you described.

If a woman was to describe a situation of sexual abuse, but then went on to say she suffered no trauma as a consequence, would you question the validity of the sexual abuse?!
According to your definition my classroom is a situation of psychological abuse. Would you say you were psychologically abused at school or at uni or at work for that matter?