Christmas cheer

Christmas cheer

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
05 Dec 08
1 edit

A buddy of mine had just converted to Christianity and was beginning to turn a new leaf in his life. In fact, we were both walking down the street as we noticed a group of kids playing with what looked like a ball made out of tin foil. A large wire fence separated us as we watched the kids attempt awkwardly play with the ball and my friend said how sad that made him feel. So we went to a nearby store and bought a football and took it back to where the kids were playing to give them a new Christmas present. He then yelled at the kids to catch the ball as he hurled it over the fence. Then one of the kids caught the ball and yelled back, "We ain't given it back!!", and then flipped us the bird and ran away. I then turned to him and said, "You know, it seems like that's how you are treated nine times out of ten when trying to share the gospel".

Cape Town

Moves
05 Dec 08

I would expect you to get treated like that more than 9 times out of 10 if you are going up to strangers and trying to tell them something they are not particularly interested in hearing - though your attitude will probably make a big difference to how you are treated and so would the type of people you interact with.

Why do you think the children acted that way? Are they from broken homes or do their parents actually intentionally bring them up like that?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
05 Dec 08

Originally posted by whodey
A buddy of mine had just converted to Christianity and was beginning to turn a new leaf in his life. In fact, we were both walking down the street as we noticed a group of kids playing with what looked like a ball made out of tin foil. A large wire fence separated us as we watched the kids attempt awkwardly play with the ball and my friend said how sad that ...[text shortened]... ms like that's how you are treated nine times out of ten when trying to share the gospel".
Since when does buying someone a football equate to "sharing the gospel?" I think you need a little something to keep your martyr complex under control.

s

England

Moves
05 Dec 08

Originally posted by rwingett
Since when does buying someone a football equate to "sharing the gospel?" I think you need a little something to keep your martyr complex under control.
at a guess "its given freely and the person keeps it" sharing the gospel

N

The sky

Moves
05 Dec 08

A buddy of mine had just converted to Christianity and was beginning to turn a new leaf in his life. In fact, we were both walking down the street as we noticed a group of kids playing with what looked like a ball made out of tin foil. A large wire fence separated us as we watched the kids attempt awkwardly play with the ball and my friend said how sad that ...[text shortened]... ms like that's how you are treated nine times out of ten when trying to share the gospel".
You mean 9 times out of 10, people are happy to receive the gospel, but don't understand that you meant to give it for free and therefore run away with it, believing they have stolen it? Sounds strange.

Z

Moves
05 Dec 08

common this is a classic case of kindness being rewarded with unkindness. unless there is more to the story, the football didn't come bundled with the gospel, the kids simply thought the friend gave them the ball by mistake or to play with it temporary so they thought to give him a sample of the quality upbringing they receive at home.

this isn't so spiritual, just a "iz kidz today crazy or parentz iz doing a lousy job" thread

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
05 Dec 08

Originally posted by stoker
at a guess "its given freely and the person keeps it" sharing the gospel
If someone passed me on the street and gave me a football, I would have no idea their covert intention was to "share the gospel." If he said, "Score some points for Touchdown Jesus", then I might suspect something fishy was up, but just passing out footballs to all and sundry does not equal "sharing the gospel."

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
05 Dec 08

So, was he giving them a gift because he truly wanted to help them, or only because he expected a certain reaction from them?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
05 Dec 08

Kids with a tin foil ball?
That made him sad?
You kidding right?

Tell your friend to open his eyes.

w

Moves
05 Dec 08
1 edit

Wow!! All these negative responses.

My only point was that like the football, the gospel is given in a spirit of love but it often is not recieved as such. Usually it is seen as trying to get into their pocket books or trying to convert you to organized relision rather than a gift freely given from God.

Actually I thought the story was a little humorous, although I added a religious twist to it. Perhaps if I had not interjected the religious bit people may have enjoyed the humor a little more? It was merely a man trying to do a good deed but rewarded in a negative way for doing so.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
06 Dec 08

My only point was that like the football, the gospel is given in a spirit of love but it often is not recieved as such. Usually it is seen as trying to get into their pocket books or trying to convert you to organized relision rather than a gift freely given from God.

Actually I thought the story was a little humoro ...[text shortened]... more? It was merely a man trying to do a good deed but rewarded in a negative way for doing so.
It seemed to me that you were just complaining about being persecuted for your religious beliefs by people who had no idea what your religious beliefs were.

Did you tell the poor ragamuffins that your football was a gift from God (even though it was your friend who paid for it), or did you just lob it at them out of the blue? Unlike the old days, I think children have been brought up to be pretty wary of strangers.

rural North Dakota

Moves
06 Dec 08

Actually I thought the story was a little humoro ...[text shortened]... more? It was merely a man trying to do a good deed but rewarded in a negative way for doing so.
I understood what you meant immediately. Twisting words just for the sake of argument seems to be a favorite pastime on these posts.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
06 Dec 08

Originally posted by rwingett
..... I think children have been brought up to be pretty wary of strangers.
.... with balls .. 😀

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
06 Dec 08
2 edits

.. It was merely a man trying to do a good deed but rewarded in a negative way for doing so.
Interesting .. REWARD ??? .... you and the alleged man were looking for a reward ? ..from a bunch of clearly deprived kids? You think thats in keeping with the teachings of Christ?

I could bet that if you two had taken the trouble to cross the fence and have 5 min chat with the kids before giving them the ball they would have seen the true underlying gratitude. What could have happened is that you threw the ball in an arrogant and condescending way. An adult would have probably sent back the ball and say ... NO THANKS.

w

Moves
06 Dec 08

Originally posted by Rajk999
Interesting .. REWARD ??? .... you and the alleged man were looking for a reward ? From a bunch of clearly deprived kids. You think thats in keeping with the teachings of Christ?

I could bet that if you two had taken the trouble to cross the fence and have 5 min chat with the kids before giving them the ball they would have seen the true underlying gra ...[text shortened]... nt and condescending way. An adult would have probably sent back the ball and say ... NO THANKS.
He was not looking for a reward, however, he was not looking to get treated badly either.

Judging from the reaction after he threw them the ball, if we had crossed the fence they would have either ran away or come at us with knives. And no, he was not acting arrogant of condescending in any way.