1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    23 Dec '12 16:24
    Originally posted by JS357
    To BdN:

    [quote]And secondly...
    Giving you a few links is entirely not the same as dumping books on you for several reasons.
    1, books tend to cost money, and the contents of the links are free.
    2, books take time to acquire, the links are instant.
    3, books tend to be quite long, the links are to bite-sized blogs.
    4, books tend to be broader and less nar ...[text shortened]...
    http://www.thevenusproject.com/downloads/ebooks/30426379-Homer-W-Smith-Man-and-His-Gods.pdf
    There are some nice ideas in the Venus Project...

    But sadly there are also a number of flaws that would make the implementation as described fail.

    The biggest one being that it requires "nice people" (tm) to work.
    Which is usually where utopian ideals fall down.

    It wont actually work in the real world with real people. In the same way that communism doesn't
    work in the real world with real people.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    23 Dec '12 16:25
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    James Charles Williamson's poor head is spinning.
    Then maybe he should engage in the conversation.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    24 Dec '12 12:50
    Originally posted by googlefudge

    Then maybe he should engage in the conversation.
    "What else should I do? Do you think I'm stupid or wierd to be thinking this way?
    Is there really a person up there running the sun and the moon and the stars?"

    Chuck already has... earnest kid gave us the OP.
    -
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    24 Dec '12 13:291 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "What else should I do? Do you think I'm stupid or wierd to be thinking this way?
    Is there really a person up there running the sun and the moon and the stars?"

    Chuck already has... earnest kid gave us the OP.
    -
    I already posted an answer to this question.

    If you don't like my answer then post a response to it detailing why.

    Stop reposting the same damn question expecting a different response.


    EDIT: And THAT is what I meant by engaging in the conversation.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    24 Dec '12 14:27
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I already posted an answer to this question.

    If you don't like my answer then post a response to it detailing why.

    Stop reposting the same damn question expecting a different response.


    EDIT: And THAT is what I meant by engaging in the conversation.
    Not my question. It's Chuck's. Probably would have been tinged with long held
    opinions or beliefs had it been mine (or yours). Llisten carefully to the lad again.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    24 Dec '12 15:071 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Not my question. It's Chuck's. Probably would have been tinged with long held
    opinions or beliefs had it been mine (or yours). Llisten carefully to the lad again.
    I HAVE POSTED A RESPONSE TO THESE QUESTIONS.

    If you want more then respond to my responses.


    EDIT: You keep asking people (including me) to read your posts more carefully because we have
    (according to you) missed the point.

    So I think I should mention this...

    I have an IQ in excess of 150.
    This means that out of a statistically representative sample of humanity something like 1 in 2000 people
    will be as smart or smarter than me.
    Which still means that there are a depressingly large (for me) number of people in the world that are
    smarter than me. (~3.5 million)

    However this still means that I have significantly above average comprehension abilities.

    So if I really am (along with a number of other smart people on this site) misunderstanding your posts.
    It's either because you are using cultural or contextual references that are not available to me.
    Or because you are pitching your posts at someone with an even higher IQ.
    Or because what you are writing is actually unclear and/or gibberish.

    In all those cases it is your fault that I am/other people are misinterpreting your posts.
    It is incumbent on you to make your meaning clear to the people you are trying to communicate with.

    So if you think I/we are failing to understand your points then YOU must explain those points better.

    Which requires you actually write clear posts of more than a few sentences.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    24 Dec '12 16:331 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I HAVE POSTED A RESPONSE TO THESE QUESTIONS.

    If you want more then respond to my responses.


    EDIT: You keep asking people (including me) to read your posts more carefully because we have
    (according to you) missed the point.

    So I think I should mention this...

    I have an IQ in excess of 150.
    This means that out of a statistically representa e points better.

    Which requires you actually write clear posts of more than a few sentences.
    "I have an IQ in excess of 150."

    Unimpressed. Many, many words... little relevant substance.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    94215
    24 Dec '12 16:50
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"I have an IQ in excess of 150."

    Unimpressed. Many, many words... little relevant substance.[/b]
    i have to agree with mr fudge the friendly physicist, i really struggle to figure out what you are saying about 90% of the time. do you write like you talk or is it a style you adopt online?
  9. Dublin Ireland
    Joined
    31 Oct '12
    Moves
    14235
    24 Dec '12 17:14
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    i have to agree with mr fudge the friendly physicist, i really struggle to figure out what you are saying about 90% of the time. do you write like you talk or is it a style you adopt online?
    Who holds the stars up in the sky?
    Have you ever asked how, or even why?
    Is it of natural accord?
    Is it the way of some supernatural Lord?

    many theories put forward from bobby grampy and googlefudge,
    they cannot seem to agree and so therefore hold a grudge.
    Maybe one day the truth will be made plain,
    but til that day comes no one can explain.

    All I know is it's a marvel, a wonder to behold.
    The presence there unexplained until the day we're told.
    Meteors and comets do keep their secrets dark,
    Their bright light give no enlightenment to this religious lark.

    Many laws of physics are broken now and then.
    we keep searching for answers, how and why and when.
    None can say, none are sure, just who can testify?
    Is there a god up there watching life go by?

    Atheists and believers they just cannot agree,
    which side they owe allegiance to, is it you? Is it me?
    Which evidence do you believe and tell me is it sound?
    For none are really truly sure until that last day it comes 'round.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    24 Dec '12 17:38
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    There are some nice ideas in the Venus Project...

    But sadly there are also a number of flaws that would make the implementation as described fail.

    The biggest one being that it requires "nice people" (tm) to work.
    Which is usually where utopian ideals fall down.

    It wont actually work in the real world with real people. In the same way that communism doesn't
    work in the real world with real people.
    I'm not pushing the Venus Project. I only cited it as a source of the book by Smith.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    24 Dec '12 22:30
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"I have an IQ in excess of 150."

    Unimpressed. Many, many words... little relevant substance.[/b]
    I wasn't trying to impress you.

    I was trying to get you to actually engage in the conversation and write posts that
    actually make sense to me.
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    24 Dec '12 22:33
    Originally posted by JS357
    I'm not pushing the Venus Project. I only cited it as a source of the book by Smith.
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply otherwise.

    There are a lot of ideas I like in the Venus project...

    It's just sadly flawed.

    I wasn't really making a point just digressing a little as you posted a link from there.
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    24 Dec '12 22:36
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Who holds the stars up in the sky?
    Have you ever asked how, or even why?
    Is it of natural accord?
    Is it the way of some supernatural Lord?

    many theories put forward from bobby grampy and googlefudge,
    they cannot seem to agree and so therefore hold a grudge.
    Maybe one day the truth will be made plain,
    but til that day comes no one can explain ...[text shortened]... and tell me is it sound?
    For none are really truly sure until that last day it comes 'round.
    Do you hail from Limerick by any chance? ;-)

    I have never got the knack of rhyming, I tend towards prose rather than poetry.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    24 Dec '12 22:53
    Originally posted by stellspalfie

    i have to agree with mr fudge the friendly physicist, i really struggle to figure out what you are saying about 90% of the time. do you write like you talk or is it a style you adopt online?
    Good evening, SP. There's a memorable line from Pushkin that's almost impossible to forget: "How do I know what I think until I see what I write". Believe you'd recogize me instantly in a crowded room or noisy pub. By the way, first and last rounds are on me. Cheers on Christmas Eve! (gb)
    -
  15. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    94586
    25 Dec '12 10:58
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby


    Many, many words... little relevant substance.
    You're talking to the mirror again silly.
Back to Top