1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 13:161 edit
    I was surprised recently when I heard that certain clergymen attempted to become unionized to protect themselves from abuse from parishioners and ensure more equitable wages. The Protestant and United churches have stated that they are not opposed to this move by their clergymen.

What do you guys/broads think of this? Should these clergymen be looking to unions for help in their professions or should they just be looking to God exclusively? They are, after all, doing "His" work. Will the will of the union always be the same as the will of God? Will picketing clergymen stop their congregation from attending scab church on Sundays?

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/11/05/clergy_unionization041105.html
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 13:23
    First item on the agenda, a universal choir boy allowance.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 13:30
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    First item on the agenda, a universal choir boy allowance.
    Is that like blood groups, you know, universal donor, universal recipient etc?
  4. Fear The Cow
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 13:37
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Is that like blood groups, you know, universal donor, universal recipient etc?
    Pretty much like show and tell, meet and greet, and a swingers club all meshed into one.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 14:10
    You bottom-feeding thread killers should get a union of your own, as well.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 14:11
    Originally posted by darvlay
    You bottom-feeding thread killers should get a union of your own, as well.
    We already have one...
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 14:12
    I'm the leader.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 14:57
    I was surprised recently when I heard that certain clergymen attempted to become unionized to protect themselves from abuse from parishioners and ensure more equitable wages. The Protestant and United churches have stated that they are not opposed to this move by their clergymen.

What do you guys/broads think of this? Should these clergymen be looking t ...[text shortened]... on Sundays?

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/11/05/clergy_unionization041105.html
    This is a very complicated issue where there are many factors to consider. Indeed there are many poor pastors that have little or nothing to retire on. They have lived their lives trying to live in integrity with the Gospel and their faith, and many have been taken advantage of by ruthless congregations that when they say something they disagree with send them packing.

One of the problems that I see is that there are too many ministers. There is not the demand for the numbers they are turning out of divinity schools and seminaries, so I'm not suprised that there is a move to unionize. Where I live many of the ministers have absolutely no educational training. Their churches do not cooperate with other churches unless there is a wet/dry vote on alcohol sales. These tend to be fundamentalist churches with no church structure. Somebody can show up on their doorstep and say "God wants me to preach here" and they will be happy to accomodate them.

If I can tie this in with unions in general, I think unions come about when workers feel discounted, under-appreciated or taken advantage of. When live in a tme when ministers are seen as laughable. It seems that the most laughable ones who create embarrassment for ministers with integrity are ones who get the most attention. My favorite description of these people comes from Will Campbell (see Ivory Tower thread) who describes them as "electronic soul molesters."
  9. London
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 16:50

What do you guys/broads think of this? Should these clergymen be looking t ...[text shortened]... on Sundays?

I think it's up to the clergymen themselves. If unionising will help improve their lot and that of their brothers, then, sure. I'm not sure how they'll exercise collective bargaining, though. I am not in favour of picketing the faithful of their own congregation.

If I were a cleric, I'd leave it to God.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 16:52

Is their right to be on strike a sin? What would happen to the flock?
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 17:06
    If the congregations of churches and self-appointed People of God do not take care of their own appointed leaders and teachers (the pastors and Priests), then those teachers must rely on the unionisation of the clergy to secure their well-being.

Where does God and His will fit into the above statement?
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 17:08
    If the congregations of churches and self-appointed People of God do not take care of their own appointed leaders and teachers (the pastors and Priests), then those teachers must rely on the unionisation of the clergy to secure their well-being.

God is the one in charge of guiding the blind that guide the blind. God help them...
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 17:121 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    God is the one in charge of guiding the blind that guide the blind. God help them...
    It makes you wonder if these Clergymen sought answers from God in this matter.

Management siding with labour? God works in mysterious ways, indeed.
  14. London
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 17:17

I'm sorry - is that a response to my post?
  15. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 17:22
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I'm sorry - is that a response to my post?
    Not specifically, no. Just some more food for thought.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree