1. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 19:07
    Originally posted by JS357
    I don't have the notion that everyone's life has an "ultimate" meaning or purpose, but some people seem to,......
    But it remains at best, an 'ultimate meaning' to them. What their life means to you, may be something quite different. But even for the example you gave, I feel uncomfortable using the phrase 'ultimate meaning' to describe it.
    I would be OK with 'he found great meaning in sidewalk astronomy', but to say 'he felt the ultimate meaning of his life was sidewalk astronomy' just doesn't sound right.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 19:09
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Listening to Harris speak on the illusion of free will makes one wonder how he ever graduated high school, let alone UCLA.
    What he uses as logic is a hot mess.
    I would be interested to know what flaws you see in it. Could you start a thread on the subject? Also reference the youtube in question and I will re-watch it.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 19:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But it remains at best, an 'ultimate meaning' to them. What their life means to you, may be something quite different. But even for the example you gave, I feel uncomfortable using the phrase 'ultimate meaning' to describe it.
    I would be OK with 'he found great meaning in sidewalk astronomy', but to say 'he felt the ultimate meaning of his life was sidewalk astronomy' just doesn't sound right.
    I'm satisfied with the use of that term in this particular case and won't try to change your thinking.

What use of the phrase "ultimate meaning" would be in your comfort zone? Just curious; I will consider whether to change my thinking on the subject.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 21:47
    I'm satisfied with the use of that term in this particular case and won't try to change your thinking.

What use of the phrase "ultimate meaning" would be in your comfort zone? Just curious; I will consider whether to change my thinking on the subject.
    "The meaning of life is a philosophical question concerning the significance of life or existence in general. It can also be expressed in different forms, such as "Why are we here?", "What is life all about?", and "What is the purpose of existence?" It has been the subject of much philosophical, scientific, and theological speculation throughout history. There have been a large number of proposed answers to these questions from many different cultural and ideological backgrounds.

The meaning of life is in the philosophical and religious conceptions of existence, social ties, consciousness, and happiness, and borders on many other issues, such as symbolic meaning, ontology, value, purpose, ethics, good and evil, free will, the existence of one or multiple Gods, conceptions of God, the soul, and the afterlife. Scientific contributions focus primarily on describing related empirical facts about the universe, exploring the context and parameters concerning the 'how' of life. Science also studies and can provide recommendations for the pursuit of well-being and a related conception of morality. An alternative, humanistic approach poses the question "What is the meaning of my life?" The value of the question pertaining to the purpose of life may coincide with the achievement of ultimate reality, or a feeling of oneness, or even a feeling of sacredness." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life

JS, to what extent does wiki know what it's talking about?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 06:431 edit
    As I said in my first post, I think it is in error to use the phrase at all.

ul·ti·mate
    adj.
    1. Being last in a series, process, or progression: "As the ultimate arbiter of the Constitution, the Supreme Court occupies a central place in our scheme of government" (Richard A. Epstein).
    2. Fundamental; elemental: an ultimate truth.
    a. Of the greatest possible size or significance; maximum: Has the ultimate diamond been found?
    b. Representing or exhibiting the greatest possible development or sophistication: the ultimate bicycle.
    c. Utmost; extreme: the ultimate insult.
    4. Being most distant or remote; farthest. See Synonyms at last1.
    5. Eventual: hoped for ultimate victory.
    n.
    1. The basic or fundamental fact, element, or principle.
    2. The final point; the conclusion.
    3. The greatest extreme; the maximum: actions that represented the ultimate in political expediency.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ultimate

I guess in your example 3.b. is the intended meaning?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 06:58

[quote]
    ul·ti·mate
    adj.
    1. Being last in a series, process, or progression: "As the ultimate arbiter of the Constitution, the Supreme Court occupies a central place in our scheme of government" (Richard A. Epstein).
    a. O ...[text shortened]... tp://www.thefreedictionary.com/ultimate

Would "the ultimate bicycle" represent a metaphor?
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 07:17
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Would "the ultimate bicycle" represent a metaphor?
    Not for the guy at the back of the Tour de France.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 12:03

[quote]
    ul·ti·mate
    adj.
    a. O ...[text shortened]... tp://www.thefreedictionary.com/ultimate

That which makes one want to wake up the next morning, is more like it for me. Thus it need not be very grandiose, and the specific reason can vary from day to day. And having variety in one's reasons for living, not knowing what they will be in the future, can be part of what makes life interesting. And that means not having all the answers.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 12:10
    Originally posted by CalJust
    [b]Meaning?

I quite like Viktor Frankl's definition in his book: Man's search for Meaning, which is "Something significant yet to do."[/b]
    "Something significant yet to do."

Frankl's book was important reading for me. The thing that one finds to be significant need not be significant to anyone else; in fact it may be considered quite trivial. In fact it may even come to be considered quite trivial by ourselves later in life.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 12:19
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "The meaning of life is a philosophical question concerning the significance of life or existence in general. It can also be expressed in different forms, such as "Why are we here?", "What is life all about?", and "What is the purpose of existence?" It has been the subject of much philosophical, scientific, and theological speculation throughout ...[text shortened]... wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life

JS, to what extent does wiki know what it's talking about?
    "JS, to what extent does wiki know what it's talking about?"

It seems like a good start on the subject, which wiki often does for me.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 13:071 edit

My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher ... 😀
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 18:55

Great... next step?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 18:56
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Not for the guy at the back of the Tour de France.
    No kidding. Talk about cashing in on deception aforethought.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 18:581 edit
    "Something significant yet to do."

Frankl's book was important reading for me. The thing that one finds to be significant need not be significant to anyone else; in fact it may be considered quite trivial. In fact it may even come to be considered quite trivial by ourselves later in life.
    Nothing of overarching importance or universally significant for the human race?
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 19:01
    That which makes one want to wake up the next morning, is more like it for me. Thus it need not be very grandiose, and the specific reason can vary from day to day. And having variety in one's reasons for living, not knowing what they will be in the future, can be part of what makes life interesting. And that means not having all the answers.
    "That which makes one want to wake up the next morning, is more like it for me. Thus it need not be very grandiose, and the specific reason can vary from day to day. And having variety in one's reasons for living, not knowing what they will be in the future, can be part of what makes life interesting. And that means not having all the answers."

..... in context that "that" could be the imperative of a normal transit time bowel movement.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree