1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 21:09
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Originally posted by JS357
    [b]"That which makes one want to wake up the next morning, is more like it for me.
    Thus it need not be very grandiose, and the specific reason can vary from day to day. And having variety in one's reasons for living, not knowing what they will be in the future, can be part of what makes life interesting. And that m ...[text shortened]...

..... in context that "that" could be the imperative of a normal transit time bowel movement.[/b]
    How Zen-like of you. To be fully human includes making it to the loo in time.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 22:19
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I would be interested to know what flaws you see in it. Could you start a thread on the subject? Also reference the youtube in question and I will re-watch it.
    Copy.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Feb '14 09:06
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Copy.
    Thread 157776
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Feb '14 13:31
    How Zen-like of you. To be fully human includes making it to the loo in time.
    Difference with a distinction or synonym: an atheist and an infidel?
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Feb '14 20:54
    Difference with a distinction or synonym: an atheist and an infidel?
    Are we staying secular in this thread?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 00:07
    Are we staying secular in this thread?
    Originally posted by JS357 (Page 3)
    I thought yu offered to embark on a secular philosophical analysis of the question of the meaning and purpose of life, which included their "absolute" sense.

One suggestion so far is, the m and p of life is pretty much what you make of it.

We haven't quite gotten to the issue of absoluteness of this m/p.

Do you agree that we are trying to stay on the secular side of this?

Of course "secular" or I'm going to take my OP and go home. lol
    The initial question was simply intended to get things moving.

Postscript: What would philosophy do if there were no hypothetical questions?
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 16:31
    Originally posted by JS357 (Page 3)
    [b]I thought yu offered to embark on a secular philosophical analysis of the question of the meaning and purpose of life, which included their "absolute" sense.

One suggestion so far is, the m and p of life is pretty much what you make of it.

We haven't quite gotten to the issue of absoluteness of this ...[text shortened]... things moving.

Postscript: What would philosophy do if there were no hypothetical questions?
    OK, GB, thank you. This thread has shown me that this forum is not a close enough thing to a philosophy forum to sustain secular philosophical discussions, amongst even a handful of contributors.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 20:01
    OK, GB, thank you. This thread has shown me that this forum is not a close enough thing to a philosophy forum to sustain secular philosophical discussions, amongst even a handful of contributors.
    Leading topical questions I've asked have been rejected as inappropriate. Would you please ask a few?
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 00:05
    Leading topical questions I've asked have been rejected as inappropriate. Would you please ask a few?
    Like "Questions of what makes something true, what makes something moral, what makes something real, what makes something important,..."?

I have come to see that if I want to speak intelligently on such questions, I need to do some research, and then, I find that there is nothing more I need to do than that research.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 19:57
    Like "Questions of what makes something true, what makes something moral, what makes something real, what makes something important,..."?

I have come to see that if I want to speak intelligently on such questions, I need to do some research, and then, I find that there is nothing more I need to do than that research.

"... then, I find that there is nothing more I need to do than that research."

Conclusive statement though I'm not sure of its meaning.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 20:071 edit
    Pivotal Question (still begging for a definitive answer)

"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV.

Also, I've read lengthy posts on this forum by atheists who don't believe God exists yet quote Old Testament Passages in argumentative attempts to portray God as a cruel and vicious Person: isn't there a logical disconnect in there somewhere?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 20:17
    Also, I've read lengthy posts on this forum by atheists who don't believe God exists yet quote Old Testament Passages in argumentative attempts to portray God as a cruel and vicious Person: isn't there a logical disconnect in there somewhere?
    No, there is no logical disconnect. What do you think of Gandalfs character? Do you think it is impossible to discuss Gandalfs character unless you believe he was a real wizard? If I quoted passages of the Lord of the Rings and made Gandalf out to be a rather senile old Wizard, whilst simultaneously denying believing in Gandalf, would there be a logical disconnect?
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 21:01
    No, there is no logical disconnect. What do you think of Gandalfs character? Do you think it is impossible to discuss Gandalfs character unless you believe he was a real wizard? If I quoted passages of the Lord of the Rings and made Gandalf out to be a rather senile old Wizard, whilst simultaneously denying believing in Gandalf, would there be a logical disconnect?
    Obviously, deep down inside, you believe in Gandalf. 🙂
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Feb '14 06:38
    [b]Pivotal Question (still begging for a definitive answer)

"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV.

Also, I've read lengthy posts on this forum by atheists who don't believe God exists yet quote Old Testament Passages in argumentative attempts to portray God as a cruel and vicious Person: isn't there a logical disconnect in there somewhere?[/b]
    "If there is a God, he is a malign thug." -Mark Twain
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Feb '14 21:11
    "Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth,
    is to shut it again on something solid." -G. K. Chesterton..... "Gandalfs character"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree