"Closest thing to a philosophy forum..."

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
01 Feb 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
A conscious entity.
I like that. Hard to say it any simpler.

Any comment on my questions about ultimate meaning?

Does life have an "ultimate" meaning? How do we know this?

I suppose life has whatever ultimate meaning a conscious entity gives it.

Does this imply meaning (including ultimate meaning) is something life has for or to a particular conscious entity? I would think so. It would then, be subjective in the philosophical, not the popular, and not the derogatory sense of that term.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Feb 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
A conscious entity.
... states of bodily awareness when the entity is awake and alert?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Feb 14

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Originally posted by Duchess64
Evidently, GrampyBobby has no comprehension of what academic philosophers
usually discuss or what's usually written in academic philosophy journals.
The normal level of discussion in this forum falls well beneath that of an
average discussion by undergraduates studying philosophy.

Perhaps Duchess64 will allow for the presence of a freshman student
without portfolio among the "undergraduates studying philosophy."

D

Moves
01 Feb 14
2 edits

Moves
01 Feb 14
1 edit

It's Bobby (in this thread anyway) who took note of a comment about philosophical discussion, and within the framework of his vocabulary, suggested having a go at a non-secular analysis of the question of meaning and purpose. Granted it's hard for him to leave The Book closed, but that's life. We each carry our toolbox with us.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Feb 14

Would the current speaker extemporaneous, i.e., Duchess64, consider the possibility of synergistic
discussion benefit from the presence of a speaking monkey with minimal frame of reference and mediocre
capacity for conceptual thought in the "Closest thing to a philosophy forum..." classroom?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Feb 14

Originally posted by JS357
It's Bobby (in this thread anyway) who took note of a comment about philosophical discussion, and within the framework of his vocabulary, suggested having a go at a non-secular analysis of the question of meaning and purpose. Granted it's hard for him to leave The Book closed, but that's life. We each carry our toolbox with us.
.... sans "toolbox"; it was abandoned in this thread's parental home.

D

Moves
01 Feb 14

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Feb 14

Nobody I know of in this forum classroom would have the temerity or lack of intellectual breeding or genetic
online predisposition to even think of mouthing, 'I believe this because of (Biblical quotation of choice)'.

Moves
02 Feb 14

I did a malapro by saying "non-secular" because I thing Bobby suggested a secular analysis of the questions.

You are right about the routine mode of analysis here.

One of the problems of secular analysis of philosophical questions is that they lack a reference book where answers are to be found.

I got A's in my two phi classes.

Bobby, whether he knows it or not, has hinted at Berkeley's argument for God as the sustaining perceiver (my terminology) in one of his replies. Who sustains our meaning and purpose when we are not awake/aware? I know it's holding on to The Book, but it's not without philosophical pedigree.

Moves
02 Feb 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Nobody I know of in this forum classroom would have the temerity or lack of intellectual breeding or genetic
online predisposition to even think of mouthing, 'I believe this because of (Biblical quotation of choice)'.
So we won't expect that from you.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Feb 14

Philosophy crops up in the Science Forum too.

Planet Rain

Moves
02 Feb 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Oh? Really? Nobody? Are we visiting the same Spirituality Forum?

Planet Rain

Moves
02 Feb 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
Philosophy crops up in the Science Forum too.
Indeed, there's even an imbecile in the Science Forum who keeps bringing up religious claptrap at nearly every opportunity. I think it's this fellow:

https://www.facebook.com/rj.hinds.5

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Feb 14

Originally posted by JS357
So we won't expect that from you.
Boy Scout's Honour.... once again I'm here in a different classroom to learn without direct reference to any book.