1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Oct '13 16:44
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Yes, wolfgang; I also like tomatoes and red peppers (and they like me).

"If anyone says that sex, in itself, is bad, Christianity contradicts him at once. But, of course, when people say, 'Sex is nothing to be ashamed of,' they may mean 'the state into which the sexual instinct has now got is nothing to be ashamed of'. If they mean that, I think they ...[text shortened]... g at pictures of food and dribbling and smacking their lips."[/i] -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
    I wonder if, in Mr. Lewis' time, there was the same percentage of the world's population that doesn't know where their next meal is coming from that there is now, or if it were less or more than it is now. Given a higher population, and the penchant of the rich for the meager money of the poor, I would guess it's much higher now.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Oct '13 17:52
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I wonder if, in Mr. Lewis' time, there was the same percentage of the world's population that doesn't know where their next meal is coming from that there is now, or if it were less or more than it is now. Given a higher population, and the penchant of the rich for the meager money of the poor, I would guess it's much higher now.
    What does it matter?

The Instructor
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 12:02
    [b]Foods That Look Like Body Parts They're Good For

"Learn how you can stay healthy by noshing on 10 anatomically shaped eats. By Amanda Greene. Every child has heard the healthy-eating mantra "You are what you eat." But there may be a closer resemblance between good-for-you grub and your body than you thought. We found 10 foods that mirror the b ...[text shortened]... heyre-good-for-109151

Footnote: Incredible Photos are well worth your while. Comments?[/b]
    Came across this...

God's accuracy may be observed in the hatching of eggs. . . .. .
    >
    > For example:
    >
    > -the eggs of the potato bug hatch in 7 days;
    >
    > -those of the canary in 14 days;
    >
    > -those of the barnyard hen in 21 days;
    >
    > -The eggs of ducks and geese hatch in 28 days;
    >
    > -those of the mallard in 35 days
    >
    > The eggs of the parrot and the ostrich hatch in 42 days.
    >
    > (Notice, they are all divisible by seven, the number of days in a week!)
    >
    > God's wisdom is seen in the making of an elephant.
    >
    > The four legs of this great beast all bend forward in the same direction. No other quadruped is so made. God planned that this animal would have a huge body, too large to live on two legs. For this reason He gave it
    > four fulcrums so that it can rise from the ground easily.
    >
    > The horse rises from the ground on its two front legs first.
    >
    > A cow rises from the ground with its two hind legs first.
    >
    > How wise the Lord is in all His works of creation!
    >
    > God's wisdom is revealed in His arrangement of sections and segments, as well as in the number of grains.
    >
    > -Each watermelon has an even number of stripes on the rind.
    >
    > -Each orange has an even number of segments.
    >
    > -Each ear of corn has an even number of rows.
    >
    > -Each stalk of wheat has an even number of grains.
    >
    > -Every bunch of bananas has on its lowest row an even number of bananas, and each row decreases by one, so that one row has an even number and the next row an odd number.
    >
    > -The waves of the sea roll in on shore twenty-six to the minute in all kinds of weather.
    >
    > -All grains are found in even numbers on the stalks, and the Lord specified thirty fold, sixty fold, and a hundred fold all even numbers.
    >
    > God has caused the flowers to blossom at certain specified times during the day.
    >
    > Linnaeus, the great botanist, once said that if he had a conservatory containing the right kind of soil, moisture and temperature, he could tell the time of day or night by the flowers that were open and those that were closed!
    >
    > The lives of each of you may be ordered by the Lord in a beautiful way for
    >
    > His glory, if you will only entrust Him with your life.
    >
    > If you try to regulate your own life, it will only be a mess and a failure.
    >
    > Only the One Who made the brain and the heart can successfully guide them to a profitable end.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 12:181 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Came across this...

>
    > For example:
    > -those of the mallard in 35 days
    ...[text shortened]... in 42 days.
    > (Notice, they are all divisible by seven, the number of days in a week!)
    One needs to distinguish between coincidence and deliberate selection by the writer. In this case the writer has picked eggs that fit the pattern he wishes to demonstrate. If you really want to show that there is a relationship between egg hatching times and the week, you need to list all known egg hatching times and show that there is a statistical anomaly around multiples of 7. Then, if you find one, you need to check whether or not there is a naturalistic explanation.
    Until you do the above, you are just demonstrating your ignorance.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 12:431 edit
    > The four legs of this great beast all bend forward in the same direction. No other quadruped is so made. God planned that this animal would have a huge body, too large to live on two legs. For this reason He gave it
    > four fulcrums so that it can rise from the ground easily.
    Don't know about anything else, but the bit about elephants' legs being different to other quadrupeds is nonsense. Just do a Google image search for proof. e.g.
    http://coolanimalspics.blogspot.com/2010/12/9-strange-and-bizarre-animal-facts.html

I remember this well because when I was young I was told the "amazing fact" that elephants are the only animals with four knees. I was most shocked to discover, years later, that this isn't true.

It was this discovery alone that turned me from the path of righteousness to the life of rjhinds-mockery and other assorted debauchery that I now lead.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 12:47
    Here is a picture of an elephant "on its knees":
    http://www.123rf.com/photo_425132_juvenile-african-elephant-on-its-knees-feeding.html

However it is perfectly clear that it actually bending its wrists - the elbow joints in the two fore-limbs can be seen just where you'd expect them to be!
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 12:56
    Came across this...

>
    > For example:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ...[text shortened]... Only the One Who made the brain and the heart can successfully guide them to a profitable end.
    While Im a firm believer in God and His word, I always look with doubt at these kind of blanket statements.

First as I always maintain a believer in God does not need to go around finding proof that God exists in order to satisfy unbelievers .. its a colossal waste of time. God will bring people to him even atheists if and when he chooses. You cannot influence or control that.

Next the list as pointed out by other posters contain flaws which causes the poster to lose credibility. I know for a fact that the one about waves and 26 times etc, is false. I live on a small island and I see the beach almost daily. There are many variables that influence the speed, size and direction of the waves. Its impossible to claim its 26. Maybe in a certain latitude or hemisphere or ocean or time of year .. etc 26 might be correct.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 14:05
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    While Im a firm believer in God and His word, I always look with doubt at these kind of blanket statements.

First as I always maintain a believer in God does not need to go around finding proof that God exists in order to satisfy unbelievers .. its a colossal waste of time. God will bring people to him even atheists if and when he chooses. You cannot inf ...[text shortened]... . Maybe in a certain latitude or hemisphere or ocean or time of year .. etc 26 might be correct.
    Actually this was an e-mail I received, did not check it out...thank you all for doing this for me...🙂
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 14:461 edit
    -The waves of the sea roll in on shore twenty-six to the minute in all kinds of weather.
    Not true.

[edit]
    I see Rajk999 got there first.

Whenever you pass on 'facts' in the hope of promoting your religion, but you don't check those facts, you end up making your religion look bad. Keep that in mind.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 14:51
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not true.

[edit]
    I see Rajk999 got there first.

Whenever you pass on 'facts' in the hope of promoting your religion, but you don't check those facts, you end up making your religion look bad. Keep that in mind.
    Sorry, you are absolutely correct.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 20:291 edit
    Sorry, you are absolutely correct.
    You might be interested in the Golden Ratio.

YouTube

Fibonacci Numbers and the Golden Section

http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fib.html

The Instructor
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 02:36
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Nothing escapes God's Omniscience, Suzi; He knows the precise number of blond hairs on the woman's head in your avatar.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 19:10
    Nothing escapes God's Omniscience, Suzi; He knows the precise number of blond hairs on the woman's head in your avatar.
    And the exact number of cancer cells eating away your friend's body ...
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 19:131 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    And the exact number of cancer cells eating away your friend's body ...
    ... or those rampant in your own undiagnosed condition, underlying causes, prognosis and eventual disposition.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree