1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Jan '06 22:03
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]The preception of love, fear, anger etc are all the experiences that your teaching thebrain. You're also teaching it logic as a child. If the brain learns that when things are bad go crazy, then that's just what it'll do as an adult. You get out what you put in - like any computer program.
    For the purpose of what, exactly? Natural selection use ...[text shortened]... ism, yet man has constructed an entirely artificial system to which only he must adapt. Why?[/b]
    Point one; natural selection only selects the best adapted organisms (to the environment in which they exist) - it does not promote changes, except at the population level.

Point two; the brain is an adaptation to the universe in which humanity operates. if we have created society etc then we have done what other organisms (chimpanzees for example) have also done, only to a more advanced degree.

Sorry Freaky, I didn't fully understand your second point, perhaps you could clarify?
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 09:36
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Point one; natural selection only selects the best adapted organisms (to the environment in which they exist) - it does not promote changes, except at the population level.

Point two; the brain is an adaptation to the universe in which humanity operates. if we have created society etc then we have done what other organisms (chimpanzees for example ...[text shortened]... egree.

Sorry Freaky, I didn't fully understand your second point, perhaps you could clarify?
    Point one; natural selection only selects the best adapted organisms (to the environment in which they exist) - it does not promote changes, except at the population level.[

I hope this is not a huge change of subject, but have you heard of irreducible complexity?
  3. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 09:541 edit
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]Point one; natural selection only selects the best adapted organisms (to the environment in which they exist) - it does not promote changes, except at the population level.[

I hope this is not a huge change of subject, but have you heard of irreducible complexity?[/b]
    There is no evidence to suggest that any complexity is indeed irreducible, that argument is merely argumentum ad ignorantiam.

Especially when we are talking about biology.
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 10:07
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    There is no evidence to suggest that any complexity is indeed irreducible, that argument is merely argumentum ad ignorantiam.

Especially when we are talking about biology.
    No evidence??! Perhaps the ignorance is yours, not mine...

http://acs.ucsd.edu/~idea/irredcomplex.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreducible_complexity

Your off-hand rejection is interesting at best, arrogant at worst.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 10:16

Yes Hal, I have indeed heard of (and refuted successfully) irreducible complexity many times. You choose the topic and I'll debate it which you, whether it is the evolution of camoflage, the eye or whatever you choose.
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 10:21
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Yes Hal, I have indeed heard of (and refuted successfully) irreducible complexity many times. You choose the topic and I'll debate it which you, whether it is the evolution of camoflage, the eye or whatever you choose.
    Some other time. I'm currently dishing 'one liners' -- no time for protracted debates.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 10:58
    Some other time. I'm currently dishing 'one liners' -- no time for protracted debates.
    One liners? Well in that case a predator style-ee 'any time'....
  8. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 14:08
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    especially since sociopath rehabilitation has about a 2% success rate.
    That must explain your hair, then.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 14:45
    Originally posted by David C
    That must explain your hair, then.
    My hair is irreducibly complex.
  10. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 16:181 edit

argumentum ad ignorantiam is " the assertion that if something is currently inexplicable to some people, then it did not (or could not) happen". I wasn't saying you were ignorant, although you might be, I was just pointing out the logical fallacy in the concept. I have looked at your "evidence" and have previously looked at "evidence" of irreducible complexity, and have never found it at all convincing. Debate Louis or me if you want, but I'm not just spewwing one liners (it was 2 lines 😛).

And from Wikipedia: "Futhermore, Irreducible complexity is rejected by the majority of the scientific community. The main concerns with the concept are that it utilises an argument from ignorance, that Behe fails to provide a testable hypothesis, and that there is a lack of evidence in support of the concept. As such irreducible complexity is seen by the supporters of evolutionary theory as an example of creationist pseudoscience, amounting to a God of the gaps argument."
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 16:581 edit
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow

And from Wikipedia: "As such irreducible complexity is seen by the supporters of evolutionary theory as an example of creationist pseudoscience, amounting to a God of the gaps argument."
    Not to jump in an un-winable debate, but I always found it curious whenever phrases such as 'the majority of' are employed. It assumes there is some unnamed agency in possession of a closed set of 'something,' has profiled or surveyed that closed set, and the answers received reveal said majority. Dubious at best.

It's been awhile since looking at the red herring argument, but I seem to recall Behe giving a specific example of an irreducibly complex organism. Mind you, the impetus for doing so came from his 'camp' scouring Chuck's treatise on evolution for chinks in the armor, which is more akin to paint-by-numbers science than the (more pure, more desirable) research-driven science. Both sides are more guilty of the former than either are prepared to admit, unfortunately.

With respect to a lack of evidence to support the concept, none on either side ever answered this area of doubt in Chuck's work, so to ask to review it now shouldn't be dismissed in such a cavalier manner. Had the issue been raised in the past (outside of Chuck's writings), addressed and put to bed, that 'majority' would quickly point to the case studies in order to answer the question. This hasn't been done to date, therefore the charge remains.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 21:58
    [b]Point one; natural selection only selects the best adapted organisms (to the environment in which they exist) - it does not promote changes, except at the population level.[

I hope this is not a huge change of subject, but have you heard of irreducible complexity?[/b]
    I find it strange that you completely change the subject when I ask you to justify your "free agent" philosophy.
  13. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 22:06
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I find it strange that you completely change the subject when I ask you to justify your "free agent" philosophy.
    I'm finding less and less time to engage in protracted debates - and the entailed research. My apologies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree