1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 06:39
    Originally posted by @fmf
    It gives pause for thought: why do 21st century people obsess over the superstitions of Bronze Age people?
    Because they’re not superstitions?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 06:45
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    The earth is held in place by a graviational pull from the sun; it could be thought of as 'suspended' in place, floating, and drifting, in a steady pattern around the sun.

What you are actually disputing is semantics...

... And you are like picking a fight with the semantics of a dead language -- and, what is also noteworthy, is that most scholar ...[text shortened]... wording not being satisfactory to 21st century ears.

Amazingly high standards you got, moi8.
    But the Earth isn't held in place.
    It isn't stationary.
    So saying that Job is incredibly scientifically accurate is utter rubbish.
    It tells us nothing

Now if Job said 'the Earth is like a ball and revolveth around the Sun"

well that would be something - it would mean the Hebrews were up there with the Greeks.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 07:08
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    It isn't stationary.
    It tells us nothing

well that would be something - it would mean the Hebrews were up there with the Greeks.
    When were the Greeks active in astronomy?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 07:38
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    It isn't stationary.
    It tells us nothing

<<But the Earth isn't held in place.
    It isn't stationary.>>

The verse in Job doesn’t say either of these - it doesn’t say the earth is held in place and it doesn’t say the earth is stationary.

You’re saying the verse says something it doesn’t and then dismissing it as rubbish based on your mischaracterization.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 08:462 edits
    The thought that we moderns know more about the mechanics of the universe than God is laughable. In fact the more we find out the more we realize how much we don't know.

An MIT student once told me of a professor there who was an expert on stars who gave a long lecture on star formation. And at the end he said something like this.

paraphrased - " I have to let you know that I have no idea how stars shine nor does anyone else."

Or something close to that.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 09:51
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    <<But the Earth isn't held in place.
    It isn't stationary.>>

The verse in Job doesn’t say either of these - it doesn’t say the earth is held in place and it doesn’t say the earth is stationary.

You’re saying the verse says something it doesn’t and then dismissing it as rubbish based on your mischaracterization.
    Which is why I asked what you thought it meant!
    (But you would not say)
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 09:57
    Originally posted by @sonship
    An MIT student once told me of a professor there who was an expert on stars who gave a long lecture on star formation. And at the end he said something like this.

paraphrased - " I have to let you know that I have no idea how stars shine nor does anyone else."

Or something close to that.
    Wow.
    Ever heard of nuclear fusion?
    2 hydrogen atoms equals 1 helium plus energy.
    The fusion happens at the core of the sun and produces gamma (I think) radiation
    which bounces around inside the sun for a while (thousands of years) then
    reaches us as visible light (cos it's lost a lot of energy).

Too tired to google but that's a schoolboy explanation.

So that "expert on stars" was an ignoramus. 😀
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 10:04
    When were the Greeks active in astronomy?
    I think there are written accounts dating from 500BCE.

The Egyptians had discerned the length of the year c. 3,000 BCE
    and had some astronomy rom 5,000 BCE.

The Indians and Chinese have astronomical data dating way back.

The Hebrews in comparison were children.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 10:30
    Originally posted by @sonship
    The thought that we moderns know more about the mechanics of the universe than God is laughable.
    "We moderns" know more about the mechanics of the universe than the ancient Hebrews did.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 14:031 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 14:04
    Interesting article...

Yesterday I posted a number of scientific consistencies found in the Old Testament. While I think there are good reasons why God might not reveal advanced scientific details in Scripture, I do expect God’s Word to be scientifically consistent with the world we experience. One interesting scientific consistency seems to exist in ...[text shortened]... p://coldcasechristianity.com/2013/is-the-astronomy-in-the-book-of-job-scientifically-consistent/
    A similar argument could be made for the divinity of the Simpsons because they predicted a Trump presidency in one of their episodes. If they Simpsons were not gods, how could such a prediction come true?

Don't forget that many biblical claims (Global Flood, universe created in six days, etc.) have been disproven.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 15:59
    Originally posted by @vivify
    A similar argument could be made for the divinity of the Simpsons because they predicted a Trump presidency in one of their episodes. If they Simpsons were not gods, how could such a prediction come true?

Don't forget that many biblical claims (Global Flood, universe created in six days, etc.) have been disproven.
    You’re aware of the prophecy in Daniel 9?

On the Simpsons, I think you’re confusing coincidence with prophecy - and if I’m not mistaken, Trump had said numerous times in the past that he was thinking of running for President.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 16:241 edit
    I think you’re confusing coincidence with prophecy
    Bingo: that's what you're doing with this passage in Job claiming it's predicts something scientific.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 16:29
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Bingo: that's what you're doing with this passage in Job claiming it's predicts something scientific.
    I’m not saying that at all. I’m saying it’s an accurate (though simplistic) representation of the earth at a time when (I believe) other religions and mythology held the earth rested on the back of a tortoise or was supported by Atlas’ shoulders. The idea that something could exist in the air or space without visible means of support I think was quite foreign back then.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree