1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:15
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    If you are familiar with what goes into making a bag of nuts would this mean you are a nut? It doesn't necessarily mean you aren't a nut, but it wouldn't necessarily mean you are... a nut.
    I was a sincere and committed Christian for 28 years. Your message board banter does not alter this fact. 🙂
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:18
    Being familiar with Christian ideology doesn't mean you are or were a Christian... it simply means you are familiar with Christian ideology.
    Yes, and in the post of mine you were responding to "I am familiar with Christian ideology" means that your assertions about "hell" are nothing new to me.
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    I was a sincere and committed Christian for 28 years. Your message board banter does not alter this fact. 🙂
    Define "sincere".
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes, and in the post of mine you were responding to "I am familiar with Christian ideology" means that your assertions about "hell" are nothing new to me.
    So in other words, by your own account you were a sincere Christian ideologist.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:22
    If I was familiar with aviation history would this mean I was an airplane?
    No. It would not mean you were an airplane. But there really is nothing surprising or controversial about an ex-Christian being familiar with Christian ideology.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:24
    So in other words, by your own account you were a sincere Christian ideologist.
    No I believed that I walked with God and had Jesus in my life and did not perceive it as an "ideology" at the time, but instead I perceived it to be the "truth". Being an ex-Christian now, I see Christian beliefs as an ideology.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:25
    Define "sincere".
    I truly believed what I believed was true ~ 'truly' being the operative word. I am sure that you and I use the word "sincere" in pretty much the same way.
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    I truly believed what I believed was true ~ 'truly' being the operative word. I am sure that you and I use the word "sincere" in pretty much the same way.
    You "found" something you believed is true, spent 28 years believing it, and then decided it wasn't true. How can you find something, believe it is true, and then decide it isn't true unless you really didn't find it, but only thought you had found it?

If I'm looking at something, I can't simply wish it away so that it no longer exists. Find something to look at in your room, or where ever you are, and decide it no longer exists... can you make it vanish? Can you cause it to have never existed?

I can look for something where it isn't for 28 years too, and never actually find it. Anyone can do that... but for 28 years?!
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:38
    If I was familiar with Islamic ideology would this mean I am (or was) an Islamist?
    No but if you were an ex-Muslim then I would not question it if you stated that you were familiar with Islamic ideology.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:41
    If I'm looking at something, I can't simply wish it away so that it no longer exists. Find something to look at in your room, or where ever you are, and decide it no longer exists... can you make it vanish? Can you cause it to have never existed?
    You currently believe the things you believe about Christ are true. It was like that for me in the past. I have never claimed that I can make my beliefs in the past "vanish" or that my current beliefs mean that my beliefs in the past "never existed".
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:421 edit
    I can look for something where it isn't for 28 years too, and never actually find it. Anyone can do that... but for 28 years?!
    Twenty eight years is how long I held Christian beliefs similar to the ones you hold now.

edit: this has recently been discussed in depth on Thread 160411
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:441 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    No but if you were an ex-Muslim then I would not question it if you stated that you were familiar with Islamic ideology.
    But what if I was an ex-Muslim who was not familiar with Islamic ideology? Not all Muslims agree on what it means to be a Muslim. Are you aware of what has been happening recently in the Middle East?
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    Twenty eight years is how long I held Christian beliefs similar to the ones you hold now.

edit: this has recently been discussed in depth on Thread 160411
    I doubt your beliefs were anything like mine.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:56
    But what if I was an ex-Muslim who was not familiar with Islamic ideology? Not all Muslims agree on what it means to be a Muslim. Are you aware of what has been happening recently in the Middle East?
    Yes. But to return to your "point" about my familiarity with Christian ideology, it is due to the fact that I held Christian beliefs for almost three decades ~ a fact which is unaffected by your analogies about Islamists, airplanes and bags of nuts. 🙂
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 02:59
    I doubt your beliefs were anything like mine.
    That may well be the case. But in order to be a Christian one does not necessarily have to have exactly the same beliefs as you or, indeed, to get any endorsement from Christians like you or KellyJay. The same would be true for Muslims in a context in which not all Muslims agree with each other. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree