1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 11:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Christianity in its many variants offers examples of conventional thinking. For many Christians I have known, their faith was something they were taught but they were unable to "break free" from it. This is probably how many of the controversies within Christianity are perpetuated. It could also be the result of Christians pushing back against what they see as c ...[text shortened]... hristian thinking but without straying too far from conventional thinking of the Christian kind.
    How blasé can you get?

And obtuse given your predilection for denouncing Christian "dogma" as only idealogical. Yet you have a self styled penchant for creating your own.

FMF, when you "broke free" from Christ you lost the truth. Now you relish the idea that you can find truth in anthropology and psychology. A sure fail.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 11:26
    Originally posted by josephw
    FMF, when you "broke free" from Christ you lost the truth. Now you relish the idea that you can find truth in anthropology and psychology. A sure fail.
    Actually what I was suggesting was that the answer to why people turn to God through a religionist creed like Christianity [or Islam, for that matter] may perhaps lay in anthropology and psychology.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 11:30
    And obtuse given your predilection for denouncing Christian "dogma" as only idealogical. Yet you have a self styled penchant for creating your own.
    If we agree that "dogma" means 'a doctrine or code of beliefs accepted as authoritative', it would be interesting to hear how or when I have made any claim to be "authoritative" and who it is you think I am trying to get to accept my beliefs as "authoritative".
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 11:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    Actually what I was suggesting was that the answer to why people turn to God through a religionist creed like Christianity [or Islam, for that matter] may perhaps lay in anthropology and psychology.
    Or perhaps the answer as to why people "turn" to God is for forgiveness of their sins!

You're on a circular reasoning track with that anthropology and psychology ideology. Now you're going to have to try and define why it is that people have a sense of guilt. And on and on it goes.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 11:45
    Or perhaps the answer as to why people "turn" to God is for forgiveness of their sins!
    I don't doubt for a moment that believing this kind of thing is why many people turn to religions like Christianity. But why they seek "forgiveness" from a supernatural figure is, I think, in the realm of psychology ~ while which religion they turn to is perhaps in the realm of geography, sociology, history, culture ~ i.e. anthropology.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 11:45
    You're on a circular reasoning track ....
    How so?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 11:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    If we agree that "dogma" means 'a doctrine or code of beliefs accepted as authoritative', it would be interesting to hear how or when I have made any claim to be "authoritative" and who it is you think I am trying to get to accept my beliefs as "authoritative".
    Not who, but what. You claim that the answers to human dilemmas may be found in anthropology and psychology.

I claim as the authority concerning the spiritual matters facing man is God.

Twenty eight years and you never knew God! Doesn't make sense. You had His Word in your hands and now you cast it aside for human inventions of intellectual prowess. They don't get to the heart as does God's Word. If you had stuck with it in faith you may well understand what it is I'm trying to tell you. But I'm afraid you'll get on the defensive again and try and explain your position, which I understand all too well.

You skipped town when the going got to hot to handle in your own strength. You abandoned God because you thought He abandoned you.

He never has or ever will.

Why do I have to be the fool for Christ all the time? 😉
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 11:51
    You claim that the answers to human dilemmas may be found in anthropology and psychology.
    No I did not make such a claim about "human dilemmas". I suggested that the answer to why people turn to religionist creeds may perhaps lay in anthropology and psychology.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 11:55
    Twenty eight years and you never knew God! Doesn't make sense. You had His Word in your hands and now you cast it aside for human inventions of intellectual prowess. They don't get to the heart as does God's Word. If you had stuck with it in faith you may well understand what it is I'm trying to tell you. But I'm afraid you'll get on the defensive again and try and explain your position, which I understand all too well.

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't see how I have been "on the defensive" on this thread or the "Somebody help me..." thread so I don't see how or why you are afraid of me getting on the defensive "again".
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 11:57
    You skipped town when the going got to hot to handle in your own strength. You abandoned God because you thought He abandoned you.
    This doesn't sound like anything I have ever said. Which post or posts are you referring to?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 17:301 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    This doesn't sound like anything I have ever said. Which post or posts are you referring to?
    In reply to the two previous posts; I think there is a semantical disconnect, not important.

You're welcomed to my thoughts anytime.

I'm thinking that your reference to anthropology and psychology means that you believe the root cause of human behavior can be found in an historical context, and in cultural diversity.

Perhaps I am putting you on the defensive, or trying to. I'm merely trying to fathom why you think the way you do as it relates to God. Perhaps there's a anthropological and psychological reason why you left the faith. We haven't plumbed the depths yet. Too many distractions. 🙂 And too little time!
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '14 00:02
    I'm thinking that your reference to anthropology and psychology means that you believe the root cause of human behavior can be found in an historical context, and in cultural diversity.
    No, my reference to anthropology and psychology means exactly what I have said it means.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Aug '14 16:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    No, my reference to anthropology and psychology means exactly what I have said it means.
    "I suggested that the answer to why people turn to religionist creeds may perhaps lay in anthropology and psychology."

"I'm thinking that your reference to anthropology and psychology means that you believe the root cause of human behavior can be found in an historical context, and in cultural diversity."

I think you're merely splitting hairs. Turning to religious creeds is a human behavior is it not?
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Aug '14 16:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't doubt for a moment that believing this kind of thing is why many people turn to religions like Christianity. But why they seek "forgiveness" from a supernatural figure is, I think, in the realm of psychology ~ while which religion they turn to is perhaps in the realm of geography, sociology, history, culture ~ i.e. anthropology.
    Whatever!

People "turn to religions" to bring meaning to their lives, and to feel closer to God.

This isn't a test tube in a laboratory. This is life. People want to know why they exist and how they got here. Your simplification of the reasons why people turn to religion is superficial.

Forgiveness of sins is in the realm of God, not man. Only God can forgive sin as it relates to being brought into a relationship with God, and has no other human involvement than the crucifiction of the man Jesus who just so happens to be the Son of God. That's why people turn to Jesus. For the forgiveness of sin.

Your idealogical reference to psychology for forgiveness of sin is obtuse. Psychology can only deal with the effects of sin as it relates to the flesh, or the carnal aspects of our conduct and behavior, but cannot impute righteousness to the individual seeking forgiveness.

And you say you were a Christian and you don't know that? You obviously never believed a word of it! And certainly never really understood.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '14 16:48
    Your idealogical reference to psychology for forgiveness of sin is obtuse. Psychology can only deal with the effects of sin as it relates to the flesh, or the carnal aspects of our conduct and behavior, but cannot impute righteousness to the individual seeking forgiveness.
    I'm not a religionist and you are, so you can hardly expect us to see eye to eye on how psychology may explain your beliefs about "sin" and a desire for "forgiveness".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree