1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 16:52
    If you're a Christian and you discuss your faith with Muslims or some other theists, what strategy do you employ? Since they already believe in a god, the battle is kind of half-won.

How do you go about it?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 17:02
    Originally posted by vivify
    If you're a Christian and you discuss your faith with Muslims or some other theists, what strategy do you employ? Since they already believe in a god, the battle is kind of half-won.

How do you go about it?
    I used to live in an apartment where we had a Kingdom Hall on the same street and block,
    there were two Mormon missionaries living in the down stairs apartment (they would
    rotate in and out) we lived up stairs, and one of my two room mates was from Jordan a
    devote Muslim. Needless to say we had all night discussions. The strategy I employed
    was I didn't worry about it and I still try live by that.

It does not matter if I win or lose a discussion, it only matters I'm faithful to God. It is God
    who is doing the real work not me, I cannot put a light in someone's life, I cannot break
    the chains they are in. I cannot reveal God to anyone, that is all on God. So I just try to
    love them where they are, be a good friend and neighbor and be honest and as real as
    possible. If I can talk them into anything, someone else can talk them out of it. The best
    thing I can do is show them God by being faithful to God by loving and caring for them
    right where they are, sharing the truth as I can without forcing it.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 17:05
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I used to live in an apartment where we had a Kingdom Hall on the same street and block,
    there were two Mormon missionaries living in the down stairs apartment (they would
    rotate in and out) we lived up stairs, and one of my two room mates was from Jordan a
    devote Muslim. Needless to say we had all night discussions. The strategy I employed
    was I didn't ...[text shortened]... loving and caring for them
    Then why do people continue to kill in the name of this god?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 17:39
    It does not matter if I win or lose a discussion, it only matters I'm faithful to God. It is God who is doing the real work not me, I cannot put a light in someone's life, I cannot break the chains they are in. I cannot reveal God to anyone, that is all on God. So I just try to love them where they are, be a good friend and neighbor and be honest and as real as possible. If I can talk them into anything, someone else can talk them out of it. The best thing I can do is show them God by being faithful to God by loving and caring for them

How is this demonstrating anything unique or different about your religion? One of my Muslim friends could just as easily have written these words you have posted if asked the same question as you were responding to.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 17:43

How do you go about it?
    You must find common ground or it ends up in an argument. There is a great Biblical precedent when Paul goes to Athens and commends the Athenians on there religious observances and then goes on to use the numerous dieties in the city to form the bais for his teaching. Acts 17:22
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 17:54
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Same reason they steal, rob, rape, lie, and on and on. Our nature has been damaged so
    these are the types of things we do.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 18:06
    Same reason they steal, rob, rape, lie, and on and on. Our nature has been damaged so these are the types of things we do.
    From the way you have explained your theology, a person can " steal, rob, rape, lie" and still be "saved" by grace alone, regardless of their "works" or "sins", and Jesus dying on the cross forgave them their "sins" and promised them "salvation" by faith in him regardless of those "sins". (Correct me if I've misunderstood you.)

Are these 'by faith alone' and 'your "sins" are forgiven in advance' and 'good works are not necessary' notions things you would use to convince, let's say, a Muslim about your religion?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 18:13
    Same reason they steal, rob, rape, lie, and on and on. Our nature has been damaged so
    these are the types of things we do.
    Side note: I started putting my music on soundcloud as Sonhouse. I was surprised there were no other Sonhouses there🙂 I have 7 tunes there so far and two of them traditional, one old timey american composed around 1970 and the other Star of the County Down, Irish, several centuries old.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 18:30
    Side note: I started putting my music on soundcloud as Sonhouse. I was surprised there were no other Sonhouses there🙂 I have 7 tunes there so far and two of them traditional, one old timey american composed around 1970 and the other Star of the County Down, Irish, several centuries old.
    I looked up your name, and there's a country artist. Is that you, since you said you're the only Sonhouse?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 20:161 edit
    I looked up your name, and there's a country artist. Is that you, since you said you're the only Sonhouse?
    Not sure, I THOUGHT there was only one Sonhouse on soundcloud, I compose TUNES not songs, instrumentals. My wife does the singing for both of us🙂 I serve the world of music best my not singing....

I see the original Son House is there, I copped his name for RHP but one word Sonhouse. Try that one.

Son House was one of the great blues players.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 21:40
    Because statists have usurped religion.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 23:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]It does not matter if I win or lose a discussion, it only matters I'm faithful to God. It is God who is doing the real work not me, I cannot put a light in someone's life, I cannot break the chains they are in. I cannot reveal God to anyone, that is all on God. So I just try to love them where they are, be a good friend and neighbor and be honest and as real ...[text shortened]... y have written these words you have posted if asked the same question as you were responding to.
    You and the OP are suffering from the same delusion, that "something" must be done.

If I found myself in conversation with someone from another religion other than my own, I'd be far more likely to open my ears and shut my mouth, and do more asking about their religion instead of trying to rudely convert them to mine. I'd like to think that human nature is more about finding common ground than finding something to fight about, but clearly not everyone in this forum feels the same.

And to sonhouse, I know you don't get it, but no one I know is busy killing other people on account of their religion. That's not the nature, nor the purpose, of religion.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 23:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    From the way you have explained your theology, a person can " steal, rob, rape, lie" and [b]still be "saved" by grace alone, regardless of their "works" or "sins", and Jesus dying on the cross forgave them their "sins" and promised them "salvation" by faith in him regardless of those "sins". (Correct me if I've misunderstood you.)

Are these 'by faith alo ...[text shortened]... ot necessary' notions things you would use to convince, let's say, a Muslim about your religion?[/b]
    Stop. Just stop trying to twist and distort religion to fit your narrative and beliefs. I thought you gave up on religion. Then just let it go -- if you don't care about it, then why attack others? Just for fun?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 01:11
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Stop. Just stop trying to twist and distort religion to fit your narrative and beliefs. I thought you gave up on religion. Then just let it go -- if you don't care about it, then why attack others? Just for fun?
    KellyJay is ostensibly a 'Once Saved Always Saved' Christian. I am asking him about that in the context of the question posed by this OP.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 01:48
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    If I found myself in conversation with someone from another religion other than my own, I'd be far more likely to open my ears and shut my mouth, and do more asking about their religion instead of trying to rudely convert them to mine. I'd like to think that human nature is more about finding common ground than finding something to fight about, but clearly not everyone in this forum feels the same.

Your posting style/history makes these claims about yourself [and how you respond to beliefs different from yours] ring false. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree