Convincing other theists about your religion

Convincing other theists about your religion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
[b]If I found myself in conversation with someone from another religion other than my own, I'd be far more likely to open my ears and shut my mouth, and do more asking about their religion instead of trying to rudely convert them to mine. I'd like to think that human nature is more about finding common ground than finding something to fight about, but clearly n ...[text shortened]... these claims about yourself [and how you respond to beliefs different from yours] ring false. 😉
So, professor, what does your insistence on using 'smilies' while calling someone a liar say about you?

F

Moves
13 Aug 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
So, professor, what does your insistence on using 'smilies' while calling someone a liar say about you?
What it says is that I think your claim you'd "...be far more likely to open [your] ears and shut [your] mouth, and do more asking about their religion instead of trying to rudely convert them to [yours]," and that you'd "...like to think that human nature is more about finding common ground than finding something to fight about" ought to be taken with a generous pinch of salt given the way you actually conduct yourself here where you do have the opportunity to interact with people you disagree with.

It may well be that you are genuinely unaware of the discrepancy between your thoughts and deeds, Suzianne, in which case you are not a "liar" ~ but self-deceiving perhaps, instead.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Aug 16

Originally posted by whodey
Because statists have usurped religion.
What is Statist? Oh, one who thinks he has the right to cause mayhem. So your god allows such animals to exist. Actually they are lower than animals but your god doesn't care enough to even warn people of the danger. They have to find it out for themselves after millions have died.

Not a gracious god if you ask me, which of course you won't.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Aug 16

thank you

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
13 Aug 16
4 edits

Stop. Just stop trying to twist and distort religion to fit your narrative and beliefs. I thought you gave up on religion. Then just let it go -- if you don't care about it, then why attack others? Just for fun?
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with FMF's post. This is a spirituality discussion forum, why are you constantly trying to stifle debate?

You just pass over some of the most horrendous things posted in these forums just because the posters are part of your silly little in-group, your buddies. You excused one poster of saying that "suicides were an offence to God and to their families" because, and I quote you "it's part of his religious beliefs". Unbelievable unprincipled hypocrisy on your part.

You are one of the most agressive, bad-tempered hypocrites on these boards - take a look at your own posting before constantly bickering about your detractors every post.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
What it says is that I think your claim you'd "...be far more likely to open [your] ears and shut [your] mouth, and do more asking about their religion instead of trying to rudely convert them to [yours]," and that you'd "...like to think that human nature is more about finding common ground than finding something to fight about" ought to be taken with a generou ...[text shortened]... s and deeds, Suzianne, in which case you are not a "liar" ~ but self-deceiving perhaps, instead.
So says the child after being punished.

That's exactly what this reminds me of.

F

Moves
14 Aug 16

Who is it you think has been "punished"?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Aug 16

Originally posted by divegeester
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with FMF's post. This is a spirituality discussion forum, why are you constantly trying to stifle debate?

You just pass over some of the most horrendous things posted in these forums just because the posters are part of your silly little in-group, your buddies. You excused one poster of saying that "suicides were an ...[text shortened]... - take a look at your own posting before constantly bickering about your detractors every post.
Hypocrite? After what you just wrote?

Can you even look at what you just wrote and see it through the same lens others do?

No, I doubt it.

The most horrendous things people do on these forums, according to you, is to disagree with you. That's all. And you then throw a tantrum calling them horrendous, and you expect people to agree with you over that. And when they don't, they're even more "horrendous". All because they disagree with you. And then you write what you just wrote. Hypocrisy of the first order.

According to you, and "your silly little in-group, your buddies", I'm "aggressive" and "bad-tempered", as well as "unbelievably unprincipled" (yeah) solely because I disagree with you and I'm not afraid to say so. Get a grip and realize that it is not a crime to disagree with you and even to say so. You're the one who should "take a look at your own posting before constantly bickering about your detractors". No one in these forums bitches as much as you about people simply disagreeing with you. Ask yourself sometime just why you consider it the ultimate insult just to disagree with you. "Unbelievably unprincipled". That's rich, considering some of your own actions on these boards, attacking people solely for disagreeing with you.

"There is nothing whatsoever wrong with FMF's post. This is a spirituality discussion forum, why are you constantly trying to stifle debate?"
Again, this is rich, considering that you just read me the riot act simply because I'm known for disagreeing with you and "your silly little in-group, your buddies". You defend them no matter their level of hypocrisy, and that alone shows your own hypocrisy. I'm not "stifling debate" nearly as much as FMF and now you are by criticizing every little instance of someone disagreeing with you. You are NOT the ideal of righteousness on these forums as you think you are. What a joke.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
Who is it you think has been "punished"?
"What?"

And before you try attacking this yet again, try, just try, to remember what I said before about this.

Waffle for waffle. You really need a better strategy when talking to real people.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
14 Aug 16

"What?"

And before you try attacking this yet again, try, just try, to remember what I said before about this.

Waffle for waffle. You really need a better strategy when talking to real people.
Mmm, waffle.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Aug 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
KellyJay is ostensibly a 'Once Saved Always Saved' Christian. I am asking him about that in the context of the question posed by this OP.
Why do you even give a damn what kind of Christian he is? I'm pretty sure he's never labeled himself as such, and so you're only using someone else's labeling of someone they don't like against that person. You're twisting and distorting his religion to fit your own narrative about that religion just because you do not like it.

"From the way you have explained your theology, a person can " steal, rob, rape, lie" and still be "saved" by grace alone, regardless of their "works" or "sins"."
I really doubt that Kelly Jay would represent his religion in this way. Clearly, you've twisted and distorted his religion. Why? Do you speak to your Muslim neighbors in this fashion? I doubt it.

And thirdly, you're not "asking" him anything. You are attacking his religion by deliberately presenting a falsified, distorted picture of his religion, and then calling that his religion. What I am asking, is why do you care about his religion so much as to actually attack him over it? Or were you merely being an opportunist, attacking him in the same way you've seen others attack him, regardless of the validity of those attacks?

I'm calling you out on your derision, which you do not need to deploy here. Yes, this IS a discussion and debate board, but you just cannot resist taking it to the nth degree, as always, despite all your typical "walking it back" you try to do after the fact.

F

Moves
14 Aug 16
1 edit

I'm calling you out on your derision, which you do not need to deploy here. Yes, this IS a discussion and debate board, but you just cannot resist taking it to the nth degree, as always, despite all your typical "walking it back" you try to do after the fact.
Would you describe yourself as being against deploying "derision" here on this forum?

F

Moves
14 Aug 16

Do you see yourself as having "punished" people on this thread, Suzianne?

F

Moves
14 Aug 16

sonhouse: Then why do people continue to kill in the name of this god?

Originally posted by KellyJay
Same reason they steal, rob, rape, lie, and on and on. Our nature has been damaged so these are the types of things we do.
It would seem, based on what you've said here many times, that such deeds will not affect a Christian's chance of "salvation" as long as they believe in Christ? If you believe they don't affect the attainment of "eternal life", might this not be an idea that'd help with convincing some other theists about your religion?

F

Moves
14 Aug 16

FMF to KellyJay: "From the way you have explained your theology, a person can " steal, rob, rape, lie" and still be "saved" by grace alone, regardless of their "works" or "sins".

I really doubt that Kelly Jay would represent his religion in this way. Clearly, you've twisted and distorted his religion. Why? Do you speak to your Muslim neighbors in this fashion? I doubt it.

My Muslim neighbours don't believe in automatic "salvation" based on faith alone. They believe they have to live their lives righteously and do good deeds to reach the afterlife. So why would I ask those Muslim neighbours if their religion tells them they will be forgiven if they " steal, rob, rape, lie" as long as they have faith in God? That'd would be silly. Muslims don't have any kind of 'once saved, always saved' thing going on.