1. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 20:292 edits
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    to finnegan

meaning is something you create yourself, one can have meanig or not, its up to the person.

cheers vishvahetu
    Not in a rational debate. As my rival FreakyBH said in a mail to me, in a rare impulse of reasoned conversation,

Edit: he wrote: As far as debate goes, I honestly don't consider such a formality occurring herein. We do not abide by rules, structure, have no hope as to an outcome, as there exists no objective judge. We're really just contributors to a moving, endless river of graffiti.

My wife has taught for 30 years and has constantly had to confront pupils thinking that they have a right to an opinion, without the ability to support that opinion. I have had to manage a diversity of people with similar delusions. Yes you have a right to say and think with freedom as you choose, but I do not have any obligation to respect unsupported and ill informed opinions and I do have a right to refer you to the accepted conventions among serious people and to refer you to sound sources on which I prefer to rely.

In reality, we can only hope to progress by standing on the shoulders of those who went before us. I am especially interested in modern works of history and philosophy, tackling old questions in ways that look very effective and helpful. But it fascinates me also to see how much of our current debate could be seriously assisted by recalling the excellent debates among the Greek philosophers. As Whitehead said - most modern philosophy is just a footnote to Plato.
  2. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 20:38
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Granted I give fluid meanings to words, and hence get into strife, But imo, breaking up our belief systems is one of my main points here. So no concrete answers from me. Just "food for thought", hopefully-at least thats the spirit I wanted it to be taken in.
    Inner conviction based on personal experience. Hows that? Is that still confusing?

Question: ...[text shortened]... old paradigm with a new one. You can do that all by yourself. (Did I answer your queries?)
    Being disruptive is not quite the same as freeing up thinking. I am not sure that I concede that my thinking is rigid or inflexible. It is the case that my thinking is an attempt to employ Reason in a context where it gets insufficiently employed and religious thinkers often show an aversion to this.

Now there is a world in which reasoned debate has no place. I am not sure this forum is that world.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 00:02
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Being disruptive is not quite the same as freeing up thinking. I am not sure that I concede that my thinking is rigid or inflexible. It is the case that my thinking is an attempt to employ Reason in a context where it gets insufficiently employed and religious thinkers often show an aversion to this.

Now there is a world in which reasoned debate has no place. I am not sure this forum is that world.
    What do you expect from a "spirituality forum"? reasoned debate?

BTW. I find the subjects discussed here on the mild side.
    A lot of time responders fail to get into "the spirit" of the others arguement. Shame really. We may even learn something.

And being disruptive can lead to freer thinking-just depends on how you react🙂
  4. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 04:40
    Not in a rational debate. As my rival FreakyBH said in a mail to me, in a rare impulse of reasoned conversation,

Edit: he wrote: [b] As far as debate goes, I honestly don't consider such a formality occurring herein. We do not abide by rules, structure, have no hope as to an outcome, as there exists no objective judge. We're really just contributors to ...[text shortened]... he Greek philosophers. As Whitehead said - most modern philosophy is just a footnote to Plato.
    to finnegan

yes i get your piont and agree, but if one puts forward facts, facts seem to checkmate everything with no need for rules, but your right, opinions dont

cheers vishvahetu
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 08:06

Edit: he wrote: [b] As far as debate goes, I honestly don't consider such a formality occurring herein. We do not abide by rules, structure, have no hope as to an outcome, as there exists no objective judge. We're really just contributors to ...[text shortened]... he Greek philosophers. As Whitehead said - most modern philosophy is just a footnote to Plato.
    Most Western philosophy is just a footnote to Plato😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree