1. Joined
    08 Jan '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 22:27
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Perhaps, who knows. It seems overbearingly likely though that they did not have anything resembling organised religion though, living in too small a group for that to develop.
    Gobekli Tepe, seems to suggest otherwise (apart from fire). It was a megalithic temple seemingly built by hunter gatherers, but then carefully covered over when the people started the first recorded agriculture (it is from the region where all domestic wheat originates- if i remember properly).
    Good article in this months Fortean Times (not online yet though).
    Here's a wiki link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 22:38
    Originally posted by amannion
    I hate to put myself in situations where I feel like I'm not in control. I know we do that all the time of course, but still, I always try to be in control of myself and my life as much as possible.
    The notion of a god is the ultimate removal of control.
    Obviously most people - including many of my friends and family - don't agree, but there you have it. ...[text shortened]... elieve something else.
    But to attempt to have it taught as science is an outrage.
    Thankyou for being candid!

I too am exstremely independant, and try to be in complete control of myself and my enviroment, like, as you say, everyone else.

You said, ' the notion of a god is the ultimate removal of control.' How is that? Do you mean that one loses free will?
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 00:20
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    [b]Science attempts to develop workable theories. Creationism aims to refute those theories but aside from some generic 'god did it' does not bother to present their own theories.

You mean to say that 'god did it' cannot be regarded as a theory for why a certain phenomena happened which has no other coherent explanation?[/b]
    Not a scientific theory, no.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 02:58
    Originally posted by josephw
    This thead is for those of you that are familiar with the history of this debate as it has and is being debated within the scientific community for the last 100 years or so. I am not a scientist. But it seems to me that the argument is basically about wether or not life began with a creater or by chance and necessity.
    When scientists argue for Creationism, they are not doing so as scientists. Hence, it is misleading to say that this debate, such as it is, is happening among scientists. It's akin to the English faculty debating the math curriculum.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 07:571 edit
    Originally posted by london nick
    Gobekli Tepe, seems to suggest otherwise (apart from fire). It was a megalithic temple seemingly built by hunter gatherers, but then carefully covered over when the people started the first recorded agriculture (it is from the region where all domestic wheat originates- if i remember properly).
    Good article in this months Fortean Times (not online yet though).
    Here's a wiki link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe
    Agriculture dates to about 2000 years before that.

[edit; thanks for the link though]
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 08:35
    Fire was not invented. Various techniques for starting or maintaining a fire have been invented at various times in various places and so have various uses for fire. The first step of course is one of acceptability or lack of fear which is more of a cultural thing than an invention.

Agriculture also has multiple origins.

I suspect that most societies in the past had a fairly high level of mysticism as it is a natural product of human intelligence. I suspect that some animals have certain amounts of it, but failure to communicate such concepts stops us from knowing the details.
    Humans have a very sophisticated pattern matching system in their brains and notice patterns even when they are caused by random processes. It is also a natural tendency to try to ascertain the cause of those patterns. Magic and mysticism are generally a method whereby a person basically says "I can see a pattern, I don't know the cause, so I will give the cause a name and try to find out or guess some of its properties." If the pattern appears (to the human) to show signs of intelligent input then it is normal to guess that the cause is intelligent.
    With modern science we have been able to show that many patterns that the average person would think requires intelligence, come about via natural processes. As a result, with better education, and a larger knowledge base we should expect humans to get less and less mystic.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 08:411 edit
    Originally posted by amannion
    Not a scientific theory, no.
    Tell that to Einstein, Newton, and all the rest you find on this list...

http://www.christiananswers.net/creation/people/home.html
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 08:59

I couldn't find them on the list. However I think they would agree with amannion and so should most of the people on the list (or they should have their doctorates withdrawn.)
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 09:11

Neither of them were on the list.

However, "Goddunit" can never be a scientific theory since,
    (a) it cannot be tested
    (b) it has no predictive power
    (c) it is not parsimonious, in that it relies on a HUGE assumption
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 10:05

The fact that a scientist believes something, does not make it a scientific theory. It doesn't even mean that the scientist thinks its a scientific theory. Do you have any evidence that any of the people on the list you linked to claim that "Goddunit" is a scientific theory?
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 13:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I couldn't find them on the list. However I think they would agree with amannion and so should most of the people on the list (or they should have their doctorates withdrawn.)
    Einstein and Newton were both theists.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 13:50
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Neither of them were on the list.

However, "Goddunit" can never be a scientific theory since,
    (a) it cannot be tested
    (a) it cannot be tested

And the fact that the Big Bang did occur is tested how exactly?

Creation has countless accurate predictions and you know it.

Such as?

And what about all the HUGE assumptions made by the TOE?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 14:01
    There are many tests which I am sure you can read up on. One of the more famous ones is the microwave background radiation.

I don't know of any predictions, please tell. All I have ever heard from creationists is criticism of evolution. I have never heard of any actual evidence for creationism. (The Bible does not count as scientific evidence)

And what about all the HUGE assumptions made by the TOE?
    Please give one assumption made by the TOE.
  14. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 21:17
    Einstein and Newton were both theists.
    So what?
    It might surprise you perhaps to discover that there are people out there who believe in god but don't support the idiocy that is creationism.
  15. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 21:24
    [b](a) it cannot be tested

Such as?

And what about all the HUGE assumptions made by the TOE?[/b]
    By TOE do you mean Theory of Everything which is the standard usage of the term, or do you mean Theory of Evolution?
    If you mean Theory of Evolution, why are you bringing that up in a discussion about the origins of the universe? The two are completely unrelated.
    If you mean Theory of Everything, can you mention some of the assumptions?

Testing and predictions are likely to cross over. The power of any useful theory is in its ability to be able to make predictions that can be tested - even if retrospectively.
    The cosmic microwave background radiation is a case in point. It was discovered accidentally in the 60s. It could be explained by referring to the Big Bang model of the formation of the universe. It couldn't be explained at that time using any alternative models.
    That doesn't of course make the big bang theory true.
    But then, no scientific model or theory can really be described as true.
    What we can say though is that it works better than any others because it can explain what is observed.
    I don't know how the genesis creation model/theory (if you want to call it that) explains the microwave background. Can you tell me?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree