1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 10:08
    Originally posted by JadeMantis
    Indeed, but that does not mean that there is not a finite amount of time within the universe. From our position within time/space it really is irrelevant is it not?
    I didn't raise the point. The point is raised often by creationists with their 18th century understanding of science.
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 10:10
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Nobody knows for sure.

Unless you are willing to defend uniformitarianism...
    Come on! Give us an answer deej. Why so shy? I want a number - a definative number. If you cannot give me a number, how do you know it isn't 4.53 billion years old?
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 10:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Sadly Creationists and IDers will not be happy untill every single fosil of every single living thing on the earth ever to have lived is found, and prooved to be genuine and then they will still deny it. Missing links have never detracted from the theory of evolution, but rather the fact that people talk about the existance of a missing link shows that th ...[text shortened]... xible so that if it is observed then it becomes micro. All fosil record is discounted as fake.
    And they run around with no proof of their assertions, other than the make believe voices in their heads.
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 10:23
    Nobody knows for sure.

Unless you are willing to defend uniformitarianism...
    I know that looking at evidence I can tell it is around 4.5 billion years. Of course if you have evidence that invalidates this then I'd love to see it.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 10:26
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Come on! Give us an answer deej. Why so shy? I want a number - a definative number. If you cannot give me a number, how do you know it isn't 4.53 billion years old?
    Because there are numerous problems with the 'uniformitarianism principle'.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 10:32
    Science cannot explain everything. You should know that.

God can.
    Of course science cannot explain everything. You have my complete sympathy in that regard. However, I'm not to sure what you mean by "God can". Do you mean God can explain everything (as if he were a person)? Or a theory or hypothesis of God might explain everything (in a way that scientific theories and hypothesises cannot)?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 10:34
    Because there are numerous problems with the 'uniformitarianism principle'.
    explain.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 10:35
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Of course science cannot explain everything. You have my complete sympathy in that regard. However, I'm not to sure what you mean by "God can". Do you mean God can explain everything (as if he were a person)? Or a theory or hypothesis of God might explain everything (in a way that scientific theories and hypothesises cannot)?
    I am saying that my belief in God has answered all the quesions which Science cannot answer.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 10:41
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    explain.
    All evolutionary dating methods are based upon uniformitarianism.

Uniformitarianism assumes that there were no world-wide catastrophes; therefore, the rate of decay has remained constant.

Uniformitarianism assumes that today's processes have continued at the same rate throughout all time.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 10:46

Uniformitarianism assumes that there were no world-wide catastrophes; therefore, the rate of decay has remained constant.

Uniformitarianism assumes that today's processes have continued at the same rate throughout all time.
    All beliefs in god are based on faith.

Faith in god assumes that there is no need for proof.

Faith in god assumes that today's evidence (ie: the bible) has been true for the last 2000 odd years and about all of time and existence.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 10:511 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    All beliefs in god are based on faith.

Faith in god assumes that there is no need for proof.

Faith in god assumes that today's evidence (ie: the bible) has been true for the last 2000 odd years and about all of time and existence.
    So basically you have made it clear to everyone that a belief in Science (uniformitarianism) is also based on faith...

Congratulations.😀
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 10:561 edit
    So basically you have made it clear to everyone that a belief in Science (uniformitarianism) is also based on faith...

Congratulations.😀
    No he's demonstrated that your 'logic' can be applied to anything at all to discredit it. Of course when you fill it full of misinformation then of course you get an incorrect 'proof'.

Dating methods do not assume the rate of processes have remained the same. They do assume that all the physical constants (gravitational constant, nuclear force constants, c etc.) have remained the same. Once again if you have evidence that this isn't true then speak up.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 10:56

Congratulations.😀
    Sigh* I fear for god, if you ever somehow get into heaven, he's gonna need a host of analgesics.
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 11:00

Your catastrophy would have to alter the laws of physics. This cannot be the case, or there would be evidence, for example, in the spectral emissions of stars. Your turn to provide evidence that the laws of physics have changed.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 11:02

Congratulations.😀
    I didn't notice the word "science" in his post at all. It was merely a parody of your baseless assertions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree