Critical thinking

Critical thinking

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
05 Dec 05

Think about the philosophical quote I post and reply critically of it.
Then you do the same by posting your own quote.

"The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag"

S

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by Bad wolf

"The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag"
Keep Socrates’ question in mind: Is an act wrong simply because you are liable to be punished for it, or are you liable to be punished for it because it is already wrong? Here you need to consider the question of why punishing authorities (parents, teachers, society, perhaps even God) have this prior sense that cheating warrants punishment.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
06 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman
Keep Socrates’ question in mind: Is an act wrong simply because you are liable to be punished for it, or are you liable to be punished for it because it is already wrong? Here you need to consider the question of why punishing authorities (parents, teachers, society, perhaps even God) have this prior sense that cheating warrants punishment.
Don't forget, "I think therefore I'm a cheating mother f*ker." I believe that was Nietch.......

Hmmm . . .

Moves
06 Dec 05
1 edit

That would only seem interesting if, in destroying one question, the answer raised other questions. I think it is the questions that arouse our interest…

“Every sentence I utter must be understood not as an affirmation but as a question.”

—Niels Bohr

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Dec 05

Originally posted by vistesd
That would only seem interesting if, in destroying one question, the answer raised other questions. I think it is the questions that arouse our interest…

“Every sentence I utter must be understood not as an affirmation but as a question.”

—Niels Bohr
I am going to have to run and open my 'Great American Bathroom books' for this thread. 🙂
Kelly

TCE

Colorado

Moves
07 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by vistesd

—Niels Bohr
“If it’s the questions that arouse our interest, it’s the lack of answers that arouse our frustration.”

TCE

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
07 Dec 05

This is a self fulfilling quote, really, especially this way as it is posed as a question of sorts. I mean, really--what is the first thing that all these witty wanna-be thinkers try to do to you question? Why, destroy it, of course! Destroying the question with quick and easy flashy answers is the quickest way to get attention. However, the question then gets buried in insults and useless garbage and never gets answered. 'Tis the fate of our society, methinks.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
07 Dec 05

Originally posted by The Chess Express
“If it’s the questions that arouse our interest, it’s the lack of answers that arouse our frustration.”

TCE
yes, that's perhaps true, but it also brings out the best in man, his most inquizative and most persistant in the search for truth.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a ver persistant one" A Einstein.

Moves
07 Dec 05

Those were some good responces from most of you; here is another you can brood over for a while:

"You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep. ~Navajo Proverb"

p

Moves
08 Dec 05

Made me think of this :

English proverb: "Carrying coals to Newcastle."
Dutch : Literal Translation: "What good serve candle and glasses, if the owl does not want to see.

Unfortunately, it doesn't say if the owl is better off seeing or not.

a

Forgotten

Moves
08 Dec 05

"i can destroy without questioning my answers"
george w bush

L

Moves
09 Dec 05
2 edits

Zhuangzi and Huizi were strolling along the dam of the Hao Waterfall when Zhuangzi said, "See how the minnows come out and dart around where they please! That's what fish really enjoy!"
Huizi said, "You're not a fish — how do you know what fish enjoy?"
Zhuangzi said, "You're not I, so how do you know I don't know what fish enjoy?"
Huizi said, "I'm not you, so I certainly don't know what you know. On the other hand, you're certainly not a fish — so that still proves you don't know what fish enjoy!"
Zhuangzi said, "Let's go back to your original question, please. You asked me how I know what fish enjoy — so you already knew I knew it when you asked the question. I know it by standing here beside the Hao."