1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 04:461 edit
    I'm happy to concede that the word "cult" is a mostly subjective and somewhat 'damaged' bit of vocabulary. It is commonly ~ but not always ~ used to express a gut feeling that a group is perceived negatively or with some suspicion and circumspection, or at least unsympathetically. I will leave the er... absurdly sweeping 'it means that you're saying someone is your enemy' stuff to Philokalia.

Whether a group is perceived this way - more often than not, in discourse like ours here - depends on how its members and their purpose fare in the face of biased or subjective scrutiny of [1] their dogma, [2] their carefully cultivated and self-reinforcing sense of "otherness" and exceptionalism, and [3] the resulting intellectual and interpersonal behaviour.

I also concede that I think the word "cult" is of somewhat limited efficacy in a discussion between people who disagree over [1], [2] and [3], aside from how it either signals the disapproval [in the mind of the person using the word] or it is shorthand for whatever conclusion one has reached after taking a look at [1], [2] and [3].

That's my take on the use of the word in our context.

There is also the take on cults ~ more objective and academic than mine, I think ~ found here: http://www.icsahome.com/ where they explain that the International Cultic Studies Association is a global network of people concerned about psychological manipulation and abuse in cultic and other high control environments. And there's lots of interesting material to peruse.

Their library of articles is here: https://www.icsahome.com/groups/jehovahswitness
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 04:58
    From the last link

“Jehovah’s Witnesses “demonstrated a serious failure” to protect children, royal commission reports”

Several threads in here on this over the years - JW leadership forums to be covering up evidence of child sex abuse

“Jehovah’s Witnesses charity drops attempts to block abuse inquiry”

Dropping the attempts to block the inquiry.

The sad thing is that the Jehovah’s Witness “cult” will not permit member such as Galveston75 to even read this stuff for fear of discipline even disfellowshipment.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 08:11
    @fmf said
    I'm happy to concede that the word "cult" is a mostly subjective and somewhat 'damaged' bit of vocabulary. It is commonly ~ but not always ~ used to express a gut feeling that a group is perceived negatively or with some suspicion and circumspection, or at least unsympathetically.
    I like this definition from Oxford:

"A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister."
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 08:18
    Some other defining terms for consideration:

- Having no fringe - one is either in or out
    - Strictly adhered to set of religious beliefs, doctrines, tenets and rules
    - High threat of coercion for non compliance of above
    - Claims of exclusivity of spiritual knowledge, wisdom or insight
    - Differentiated and acclaimed version of the authorised religious text
    - Strong heritage and deep reverence of a founding leader
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 13:36
    https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1994121
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 14:54
    @galveston75 said
    Do you have a link to an article which shows the Jehovah’s Witness organising is not a cult, but one which is not your own publication?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 14:56
    @galveston75 said
    Whether or not the fisherman's fish is rotten is not for the fisherman to say.
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 15:12
    @divegeester said
    Some other defining terms for consideration:

- Having no fringe - one is either in or out
    - Strictly adhered to set of religious beliefs, doctrines, tenets and rules
    - High threat of coercion for non compliance of above
    - Claims of exclusivity of spiritual knowledge, wisdom or insight
    - Strong heritage and deep reverence of a founding leader
    So I see Laurel & Hardy have shown up... Lol.

Just like clock work the two of you always revert to this some old smear topic when you can't come up with the proof I ask for on those so called factual lies you two come up with at least once a year. Aren't you getting tired of this yet? Yawn!!!

(- Having no fringe - one is either in or out. )

Not true at all. No one is out unless Jehovah tells that to us.

(- Strictly adhered to set of religious beliefs, doctrines, tenets and rules)

And what is wrong with that? The opposite one who does not adhere to the rules in the Bible and does as they see fit is not a Christian.

- High threat of coercion for non compliance of above.

Never heard that one from the stage or at all ever. If this were true one would think I would have heard that joke of a statement by you in my 64 years, huh?

(- Claims of exclusivity of spiritual knowledge, wisdom or insight)

What's wrong with that? Don't you do that too here at RHP?

Not different, but have just gone in a cleaned up the mess and inaccuracies that have been allowed to exist in it for centuries.

(- Strong heritage and deep reverence of a founding leader)

Jesus is our leader. No man is. I can't even tell you the name of the president of the WTS at this moment. So know he or any man is not our leader............
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 15:27
    @galveston75 said
    Ad hominem attack noted.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 15:35
    @galveston75 said

And what is wrong with that? The opposite one who does not adhere to the rules in the Bible and does as they see fit is not a Christian.

- High threat of coercion for n ...[text shortened]... name of the president of the WTS at this moment. So know he or any man is not our leader............

Jehovah himself “tells you”??
    So the fringe is where, exactly?

Being “strictly adhered to” and non compliance being punished by a threat of disfellowship.

- High threat of coercion for non compliance of above.
    Never heard that one from the stage or at all ever.

You’ve never heard of disfellowshipment? Why don’t you ask beauroberts about it?

(- Claims of exclusivity of spiritual knowledge, wisdom or insight)
    What's wrong with that? Don't you do that too here at RHP?

You have to ask! No other Christian group has access to the wisdom of god, and you think believing this is OK??

Not different, but have just gone in a cleaned up the mess and inaccuracies that have been allowed to exist in it for centuries.

Is Jesus an angel?
    Is Jesus Mighty God?
    Is Jesus your savour?

Different. Yes.

(- Strong heritage and deep reverence of a founding leader)
    Jesus is our leader. No man is. I can't even tell you the name of the president of the WTS at this moment. So know he or any man is not our leader............

So you do not hold Charles T Russel in any form of higher regard?
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 18:19
    @divegeester said

Jehovah himself “tells you”??
    So the fringe is where, exactly?

And what is wrong with that? The opposite one who does not adhere to the rules in the Bible and does as they ...[text shortened]... n is not our leader............

So you do not hold Charles T Russel in any form of higher regard?
    Not gonna do all this again. This has been discussed over and over for the last 5 years at least. Again you two do this every time you fail to show proof. And you call me a liar???
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 21:001 edit
    @galveston75 said
    Not gonna do all this again. This has been discussed over and over for the last 5 years at least. Again you two do this every time you fail to show proof. And you call me a liar???
    What would you call proof?
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 23:24
    @divegeester said
    What would you call proof?
    Read the previous post where it is clearly stated. Are you really this disconnected?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 00:03
    @galveston75 said
    Read the previous post where it is clearly stated.
    Which post?

This thread is discussing religious cults, the OP includes links to research and commentary which include examples of how the Jehovah’s Witness church behaves in a cult like way.

Have you read it?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 00:46
    @galveston75 said

Just like clock work the two of you always revert to this some old smear topic when you can't come up with the proof I ask for on those so called factual lies you two come up with at least once a year. Aren't you getting tired of this yet? Yawn!!!

Not true at all. ...[text shortened]... name of the president of the WTS at this moment. So know he or any man is not our leader............
    "(- Having no fringe - one is either in or out. )

Not true at all. No one is out unless Jehovah tells that to us."

So, "Jehovah" tells you who to shun?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree