Dark side of religions:

Dark side of religions:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Mar 06

Given the choice of being a christian, islam, or shamanism, I would take shamanism hands down. We all know the millions of deaths around the world caused by islam and christianity but what do people say of the dark side of shamanism? Here is one link. About the
ritual sacrifice of animals. If thats the extent of it, its orders of magnitude better on the larger scale of things than islam or christianity ever brought about:
http://www.aksworld.com/discus/messages/4/85.html?1138866449

Cape Town

Moves
17 Mar 06

Originally posted by sonhouse
Given the choice of being a christian, islam, or shamanism, I would take shamanism hands down. We all know the millions of deaths around the world caused by islam and christianity but what do people say of the dark side of shamanism? Here is one link. About the
ritual sacrifice of animals. If thats the extent of it, its orders of magnitude better on the la ...[text shortened]... r christianity ever brought about:
Most attrocities are not caused by a particular religion directly but rather religion is used as an excuse. Religion also helps to create divisions in society which can also lead to the Dark Side. Cultural differences cause as much problems though.
If shamanism is not guilty of much then that is merely because it does not have enough followers.

Moves
17 Mar 06

Originally posted by sonhouse
ritual sacrifice of animals. If thats the extent of it, its orders of magnitude better on the la ...[text shortened]... r christianity ever brought about:
For starters I don't think that Shamanism itself is a religion so much as it is a practice with its origins in Siberia. Calling Shamanism a religion is sort of like calling Witchcraft a religion. Neither are religions in and of themselves but they are practices found within the context of some religions. For example Wicca is a religion and some of the members of Wicca practice Witchcraft.

I personally find the animal sacrifice being performed in the example you gave as disgraceful. However, I don't find that always to be the case. For example if a Heathen farmer living in Maine were to raise and then sacrifice a Pig or Goose as a way of honoring their gods and then were to have a proper feast with family members that includes said animal then I consider that an honorable way to conduct an animal sacrifice. This type of practice should be no more frowned upon then going to the grocery store to buy prepackaged meat that comes from a slaughterhouse. Raise the animal properly and with respect, Sacrifice it properly and with respect, and enjoy the feast.

n

Moves
17 Mar 06

Originally posted by Ullr
For starters I don't think that Shamanism itself is a religion so much as it is a practice with its origins in Siberia. Calling Shamanism a religion is sort of like calling Witchcraft a religion. Neither are religions in and of themselves but they are practices found within the context of some religions. For example Wicca is a religion and some of the member ...[text shortened]... animal properly and with respect, Sacrifice it properly and with respect, and enjoy the feast.
if most americans considered themselves shamanistic, then bush would have run on a shamanistic platform. as was stated, religions are used by those in power to accumulate the followers of a religious practice. whatever the religion happens to be, its followers are vulnerable to manipulation. this doesn't only go for religions, though. secularist idealogies such as environmentalism or republicanism are the subject to the same sort of thing. whenever people try desperately to define themselves through an idealogy then one can potentially manipulate that person by means of that idealogy.

S

Moves
18 Mar 06

The Benjo Honcho is among us; tolerant and semi-passive. His name: nomind. His objective: enlightening your ethnocentric consciousness with his empathetic liberal mind-wash.

Nicotine is peace.