1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Jun '06 17:171 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Some followers of the Bible seem to think they need to disprove Evolution and Science to prove God exists. It's a funny way of saying you don’t always need to disprove something to prove something else.

This is just a guess on my part.

P-
    Would you say that this is the "irony" that Halitose suspects. Was the owner of the vehicle an evolutionist, a Creationist, or a disciple of Intelligent Designism?
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Jun '06 17:20
    Originally posted by trevor33
    this is it - the last link needed

http://www.bumpertalk.com/bumpertalk/BA082A.html
    Are you suggesting that "Darwin Loves You" is a reply to this "Jesus Loves Darwin" crusade, or does one affirm the message of the other?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jun '06 17:31
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Are you suggesting that "Darwin Loves You" is a reply to this "Jesus Loves Darwin" crusade, or does one affirm the message of the other?
    i think Halitose was right, but thats where the idea came from.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    01 Jun '06 17:40
    Would you say that this is the "irony" that Halitose suspects. Was the owner of the vehicle an evolutionist, a Creationist, or a disciple of Intelligent Designism?
    I had never even heard the term evolutionist til I visited this forum. If this car was owned by a Creationist or ID follower, someone else stuck the sticker there.

P-
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Jun '06 18:12
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I had never even heard the term evolutionist til I visited this forum. If this car was owned by a Creationist or ID follower, someone else stuck the sticker there.

P-
    A scientist studies science and generally advocates the disciplined methodologies that enable such study. An evolutionist studies one of the central theoretical frameworks of modern science. ID, OTOH, is a religious ideology, hence the only neologism in my previous post: Intelligent Designism.
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    01 Jun '06 18:26
    Originally posted by trevor33
    this is it - the last link needed

http://www.bumpertalk.com/bumpertalk/BA082A.html
    Every missing link uncovered opens up two new holes.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 04:16
    Originally posted by telerion
    Every missing link uncovered opens up two new holes.
    OMG! The more we discover the less likely evolution is! I MUST PENT AND REPENT!!!
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 07:17
    I think it's just a parodical response to 'Jesus loves you' in the same vein as the paschal fish
    symbol with feet.

Nemesio
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 09:07
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I think it's just a parodical response to 'Jesus loves you' in the same vein as the paschal fish
    symbol with feet.

Nemesio
    Yeah, what's the big mystery here? It's really quite simple, as Nemesio says, for a long time Christians have been putting little Ichthys signs on the back of their cars to denote they were christians whilst out on their travels. In ironic reply, those who support evolution over creationsim thought it funny to give the fish legs, thereby denoting the process of evolution whilst having a jibe at the creationsits. This is exactly the same idea; those of the evolution camp have taken another christian slogan 'Jesus loves you' and replaced 'Jesus' with 'Darwin' to poke fun at the creationists.

I really don't see what everyone is so interested in, both practices on both sides are pretty pathetic 'my camp's better than yours' flag-waving gestures. There really is no need for in detph exegesis.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 14:46
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I really don't see what everyone is so interested in, both practices on both sides are pretty pathetic 'my camp's better than yours' flag-waving gestures. There really is no need for in detph exegesis.
    If you'll read all the posts, you'll see that the bumper snicker is ambiguous that it provokes disagreement as to which "side" it promotes. No one has offered more than minimal exegesis supporting their reasons for believing what they declare in the "clear" message.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 15:091 edit
    If you'll read all the posts, you'll see that the bumper snicker is ambiguous that it provokes disagreement as to which "side" it promotes. No one has offered more than minimal exegesis supporting their reasons for believing what they declare in the "clear" message.
    Oops, I missed the link to the 'Jesus loves Darwin' sticker. I was commenting on your original 'Darwin loves you' post (which seems absolutely clear to me).

The Jesus loves Darwin sticker is pretty uninteresting. I imagine that if he did exist and was the son of god, he'd have to love Darwin.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 15:15
    I agree. The sticker could be from either side. One side, as Starrman alludes, is poking back at the tired feel-good slogan mis/oft/over-used by pleading Christians peddling their guilt.

The other possible use is by a Christian, who smacks the reader in the face with the logical conclusion of creation without a Creator. It would look something like this:

"(If he be true) Darwin (who is dead and therefore ineffectual for any real comfort) loves you. (Thus: who cares?)"

We'll need more off that damn car, Wulebgr!
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 15:29
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I did read all the posts and cannot understand why you think it ambiguous. It seems quite straight forward to me that it is an evolutionist joke.
    Darwin is dead, and cannot offer you anything through his love. The statement, "Darwin loves you," thus creates cognitive dissonance.

As cheesy religiosity is common in Western societies, we are well-tuned to ignoring such expressions as "god loves you." When confronted with "Darwin loves you," we instantly recognize the substitution: our memory fills in God where it finds Darwin. The bumper snicker thus gets past our defenses with a simplistic message we would normally ignore. Furthermore, its novelty keeps it in our consciousness.

On the other hand, the substitution of Darwin and God presupposes that they are somehow in conflict. Because this substitution is false, a knowledge of science and faith that is not infected by the Creationist delusion activates other defenses, and we quickly realize the false dichotomy. The statement that "Darwin loves you" is absurd as a disingenuous effort to promote simplistic faith.

It is equally absurd as an expression of science, as every student of science understands. Darwin offers not love, but understanding of the natural world. If this message were taped to the back of an automobile owned by someone who understands science, and is irreligious, it serves only to identify the vehicle's owner as someone unable to free him- or herself from an outmoded belief system. Having rejected a religious belief system, the owner clings to it nevertheless.
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 15:30
    Darwin is dead, and cannot offer you anything through his love. The statement, "Darwin loves you," thus creates cognitive dissonance.

As cheesy religiosity is common in Western societies, we are well-tuned to ignoring such expressions as "god loves you." When confronted with "Darwin loves you," we instantly recognize the substitution: our memory fills in ...[text shortened]... system. Having rejected a religious belief system, the owner clings to it nevertheless.
    I agree with the ridiculous aspect of it, I never claimed otherwise.
  15. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 15:36
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    We'll need more off that damn car, Wulebgr!
    Two small stickers in the upper corners of the rear window identified the owner as a scuba enthusiast. The "Darwin loves you" was in all caps, larger, and centered under the rear window.

Inasmuch as the vehicle was a Chrysler minivan, it seems likely that the owner is married, and has a passel of children. I rather suspect that most minivan owners lean conservative.

The most common adornment on the back of minivans in my region is a "Truth" fish eating a "Darwin" fish, and a bumper snicker identifying of the children as an honor student in some middle school or elementary, or as an Eagle Scout.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree