1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 20:27
    The sticker refers to this man:

http://www.lkstevenssewer.org/Current%20Images/Head_Shots/Darwin3.JPG

The message is from the Lake Stevens Sewer District, here in Washington State.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 20:30
    Originally posted by bbarr
    The sticker refers to this man:

http://www.lkstevenssewer.org/Current%20Images/Head_Shots/Darwin3.JPG

The message is from the Lake Stevens Sewer District, here in Washington State.
    Thanks. But, why does he love me?
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 20:33
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Thanks. But, why does he love me?
    The Lake Stevens Sewer District employees love everybody, and want them to have clean and efficient sewage removal systems.
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 03:52
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    If you'll read all the posts, you'll see that the bumper snicker is ambiguous that it provokes disagreement as to which "side" it promotes. No one has offered more than minimal exegesis supporting their reasons for believing what they declare in the "clear" message.
    Don't you suppose that 'Jesus loves Darwin' is a message from those Christians who feel
    that Christianity is perfectly compatible with evolution (e.g., RCC)?

Nemesio
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 14:06
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Don't you suppose that 'Jesus loves Darwin' is a message from those Christians who feel

Nemesio
    I think "Jesus loves Darwin" is something that nearly all xians would agree to. Jesus loves Darwin perfectly, and that is why Jesus must send him to Hell for all eternity.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 15:29
    Originally posted by Nemesio

Nemesio
    It could be taken that way, but you must presume both an open mind and a certain Christlikeness among the xtian displaying the message. Unfortunately, in many parts of the United States, the available evidence strongly tilts away from such presumption.
  7. Joined
    10 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 01:03
    Darwin was a Creationist, just not a Biblical Literalist. He developed his theory to explain HOW the Divine Plan worked in nature, not to deny the miraculous nature of the birth of life on Earth...
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 02:32
    Originally posted by telerion
    I think "Jesus loves Darwin" is something that nearly all xians would agree to. Jesus loves Darwin perfectly, and that is why Jesus must send him to Hell for all eternity.
    Wasn't Chuck a former seminary student? More than likely, he's in heaven now.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 03:14
    Originally posted by Samloyal23
    Darwin was a Creationist, just not a Biblical Literalist. He developed his theory to explain HOW the Divine Plan worked in nature, not to deny the miraculous nature of the birth of life on Earth...
    What makes you think he was a creationist?
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 15:27
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Wasn't Chuck a former seminary student? More than likely, he's in heaven now.
    That would be sweet irony.
  11. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 17:08
    It's a bumper sticker! You are looking for deep meaning in a bumper sticker!

If you want to debate a bumper sticker, how 'bout the one I saw on a car driven by a really hot chick the other day that said "Mean people suck! Nice people swallow."
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 17:25
    Originally posted by CliffLandin
    If you want to debate a bumper sticker, how 'bout the one I saw on a car driven by a really hot chick the other day that said "Mean people suck! Nice people swallow."
    There's no ambiguity there.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 18:25
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Don't joke. A nurse at my brother's school used leeches.
    I recall years ago I wondered about leeches being useful in drawing
    blood through a finger tip or something that was cut off and
    reattached. I met a girl who lost the tip of one of her fingers in a work
    accident, and they were getting ready to take it back off, because of
    issues with the reattachment. She told me it was a blood flow
    problem. Outside of issues like that I don’t see what the
    usefulness of leeches could possibly be, what did the school nurse
    think she was doing with leeches?
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberDrWood
    Big Red Sturgeon
    The Specific Ocean
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 23:32
    KellyJay,

Though you express your ideas in these debates very well, this is the first time I've found myself agreeing with one of them.

Leeches were used medically in the past for just about every ailment there was. The therapy was based on the therapeutic effects of blood letting. This was before the work of Dr William Harvey, when the circulatory system was thought to be one way, with blood produced in the liver, sucked up by the heart, and then distributed by the muscular pumping of arteries for consumption by the organs. It was thought that diseaes were caused by too much blood collected in one part of the body and leeches were the cure.

You are right in saying that leeches could be useful for a reattached finger or piece of skin. Leeches are used in modern medicine to reduce venous congestion in skin flaps, wich improves the blood flow. It does suck blood to the area though, it removes excess venous blood, which reduces the back pressure on the system and allows better arterial flow. leeches are the best wat for doing this currently due to the accuracy of their placemtn when used and thier anticoagulant effects.

Conceivably leeches could be therapy for a disease such as haemochromotosis, but this is quite impractical.

I have no idea what the nurse could have been thinking. But I usually cant understand what nurses are thinking so Im not too surprised
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 11:16
    Originally posted by CliffLandin
    It's a bumper sticker! You are looking for deep meaning in a bumper sticker!

That statement is rife with incongruity. For instance, the 'nice people' who swallow: what brings them to that stage, if not the action of the supposed 'mean people?' Is a mean person's disposition miraculously altered at a point in time? At one point, they are mean and therefore, sucking; in an instant, they are changed, now nice, and obligingly, they swallow. What is the change mechanism? What, if anything, triggers the epiglottis to willingly accept matter into the trachea? Harumph, harumph.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree