1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 20:50
    Admittedly, the question has nothing whatever to do with spirituality (but then, neither do most of the questions and posts in these forums).

My brother, working on a degree at one of those non-accredited Bible colleges, told me that Charles Darwin became a Christian on his deathbed, expressing regret over his work on the theory of evolution. Where does he get such information? Is it credible?
  2. Graceland.
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 20:56
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Admittedly, the question has nothing whatever to do with spirituality (but then, neither do most of the questions and posts in these forums).

My brother, working on a degree at one of those non-accredited Bible colleges, told me that Charles Darwin became a Christian on his deathbed, expressing regret over his work on the theory of evolution. Where does he get such information? Is it credible?

Dude, you're relying on the witness of perhaps 1 or 2 people at his deathbed. Even if it were true, would it be credible. Old dude, about to die, athiest suddenly decides to believe in God ? Surely no ! 😉

3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 21:141 edit
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    Old dude, about to die, athiest suddenly decides to believe in God ? Surely no !
    Darwin was an agnostic, not an athiest.

I'm proud of you that you recognize that certain sources, even Christian sources, may lack credibility.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 21:17

I was told this tale in my days attending the church youth group as part of the evidence against evolution! LOL!
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 21:40
    I don't want to debate this issue, but here is a link which might help shed some light and provide further reading:

http://www.apologeticspress.org/modules.php?name=Read&cat=12&itemid=2193
  6. Graceland.
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 21:53
    Darwin was an agnostic, not an athiest.

I'm proud of you that you recognize that certain sources, even Christian sources, may lack credibility.

I don't believe such a claim was started by Christians, merely a claim some may have heard and believed to be true. Besides if all sources originating from people who claim to be Christians were true, there would be little disparity between doctrines.

pc
  7. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    01 Apr '05 00:12
    Darwin died an agnostic. He didn't die an atheist nor did he recant on his theory of evolution. The link Starrman provides above gives a very useful summary. It also explains where some of the Christian's got the idea that he did recant.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Apr '05 02:53
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    I don't believe such a claim was started by Christians, merely a claim some may have heard and believed to be true. Besides if all sources originating from people who claim to be Christians were true, there would be little disparity between doctrines.

pc[/b]
    Christians started and perpetuate the idea. Who else would care?

I bring it up because when I told my brother that my teenage son was reading Charles Darwin's Voyage of the Beagle, his reply (motivated by what he's studying at one of those non-accredited Bible colleges) was, "I hope he's learning both sides," and "What about Darwin's deathbed recantation?"

I'm curious what others know, or think they know about such rumors.

If even a fraction of the sources originating from people who claim to be Christians were true, there would be no such thing as truth. Disparity would prevail.
  9. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    01 Apr '05 08:43

OK, I am not sure what the point is, but of interest, is that Darwin REGRETTED his work, not that Darwin claimed his work was false.

10. England
    Moves
    01 Apr '05 10:14
    similar story about Henry 6, on his death bed reconverted to roman catholic. Not sure either true or fiction but after jesus was resurected storys of body stolen etc were put about.
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Apr '05 14:22
    Originally posted by Alcra
    OK, I am not sure what the point is, but of interest, is that Darwin REGRETTED his work, not that Darwin claimed his work was false.

Did Darwin regret his work, or did he express regret about the distortions of his work that came to be known as Social Darwinism (discredited social theory that many people to this day confuse with biologial evolution)?
  12. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    01 Apr '05 14:321 edit

My brother, working on a degree at one of those non-accredited Bible colleges, told me that Cha ...[text shortened]... of evolution. Where does he get such information? Is it credible?
    Darwin's deathbed conversion is dubious at best, and does little for the argument for creation. So even if it were true, so what? It proves nothing, and it adds very little support to anything.
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Apr '05 14:59
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Darwin's deathbed conversion is dubious at best, and does little for the argument for creation.
    I haven't seen any arguments for Creationism that have scientific or historical credibility. Nor can I reconcile Creationist notions of biblical evidence with what I know of reading and hermeneutics. But some Creationists (my brother, for example) will throw up these tidbits, which serve to infuriate me.

Their real purpose is to cast doubt on science and scientific methodology because they think they are in a war for cultural authority. In some places, the United States for example, church leaders have immense power over most people (akin to the cultural power of the Church in the Middle Ages). The emergence of secular public education a century ago, and the teaching of science in these schools, offers a threat to their cultural authority.

When I was dabbling with Creationism a couple of decades ago, much of their rhetoric focused of a couple gaffe's by scientists--Piltdown man, for instance. I find it worthwhile to point out how their own history is littered with a series of similar hoaxes, such as the Paluxy River tracks.

Of course I know that several groups of Creationists have recognized that the story of Darwin's recantation lacks credibility, although it is still proclaimed in many churches. Some Creationists even note that such stories, even if true, fail to contribute to their pseudo-scientific claims.
  14. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    01 Apr '05 15:17
    I haven't seen any arguments for Creationism that have scientific or historical credibility. Nor can I reconcile Creationist notions of biblical evidence with what I know of reading and hermeneutics. But some Creationists (my brother, for example) will throw up these tidbits, which serve to infuriate me.

Their real purpose is to cast doubt on scie ...[text shortened]... even note that such stories, even if true, fail to contribute to their pseudo-scientific claims.
    I wouldn't go so far as to call evolutionism a science, the whole theory violates most of the tenants of science and the scientific method. It's more akin to a religion. You can tell by the zeal of it's followers and the visceral reaction they have against anyone who would dare to question their theory. But that's for another thread. 😉
  15. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Apr '05 15:58
    Originally posted by Coletti
    I wouldn't go so far as to call evolutionism a science, the whole theory violates most of the tenants of science and the scientific method.
    Surely you mean Creationism.

If it is not a typo, please explain one tenet of science that evolutionary theory violates. This thread is as good as any other (after all, Chucky's name graces the title).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree