Dawkins supports eugenics.

Dawkins supports eugenics.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by Starrman
I wasn't aware that salvation was one of the intended properties of birth control.

Prejudice is always present and would be even if we were all god-abiding Christians. I'm as fearful of the intentions of religious figureheads as I am of secular ones on the subject of human nature; eugenics is just one of the issues of worry.
Your worries will be "cured" by the "rational" reasoning of liberal folks like Dawkins and the marauder

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by ivanhoe
Your worries will be "cured" by the "rational" reasoning of liberal folks like Dawkins and the marauder
One can hope.😉

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
I don't regard far fetched "slippery slope" arguments as "rational".
Of course, next thing you'll come up with is that I shouldn't impose my "religious ideas" on you, you old manipulater.

S

Moves
23 Nov 06

I sincerely doubt you wouldn't know the rational reasoning of liberal folks if it appeared to you as a burning bush.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06
1 edit

One can hope.😉
Underneath their liberal clothing they are wearing their brown shirts. You are one of them, marauder.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

I sincerely doubt you wouldn't know the rational reasoning of liberal folks if it appeared to you as a burning bush.
You will be in favour of eugenics, I'm sure.

What does it take to convince you ?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

Underneath their liberal clothing they are wearing their brown shirts. You are one of them, marauder.
Here we go again ......................

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Here we go again ......................
... and you are again leading the ideological parade .....

S

Moves
23 Nov 06
1 edit

You will be in favour of eugenics, I'm sure.

What does it take to convince you ?
I'm not necessarily in favour of eugenics, but, like Dawkins, I am in favour of intelligent debate on the issue as well as a clarification of what constitutes eugenics and whether there are both good and bad uses of it. Unfortunately, as whodey and others have demonstrated, you mention the word and the bandwagon rolls into town.

l

London

Moves
23 Nov 06

Paragraph 1 is a non sequitur to a discussion of whether we should attempt to breed humans with particular abilities. I didn't hear Dawkins saying people who have mathematical or musical abilities are "superior" to the rest of humanity.

Paragraph 2 gets a so what from me. No one can really be compelled to follow any particular field whether t ...[text shortened]... d not subscribe to utilitarian or pseudo-utilitarian (whatever that is) models of morality.
Paragraph 1 is a non sequitur to a discussion of whether we should attempt to breed humans with particular abilities.

Really? Were we talking about breeding humans to have disabilities? Or to have below-average intelligence? Or to be tone deaf? Or to be completely rubbish at dancing?

Paragraph 2 gets a so what from me. No one can really be compelled to follow any particular field whether they were "bred" for it or not. This is a red herring.

Really? What do you think happens to a horse that was bred for running but refuses to run? Or a cow bred for milk that has a poor output?

Paragraph 3 is irrelevant to my viewpoint as I did not subscribe to utilitarian or pseudo-utilitarian (whatever that is) models of morality.

Maybe. But I didn't say I would provide reasons specific to your view of morality.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

... and you are again leading the ideological parade .....
Actually, I was trying to have a discussion about the ideas expressed in the article concerning whether it is morally acceptable to attempt to bring humans with certain abilitites. This could be done or not done regardless of whether abortion and/or euthanasia were allowed so those issues are not relevant. You, as usual, have lapsed into making this some kind of personal thing. I'd rather stick to the topic myself.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

These abject ideas cannot be overcome by rational scientific debate. Why ? Because these are not scientific ideas, they are political ideas. The only way these ideas can and will be defeated is in a long and arduous political debate. I hope that this will be sufficient to bring about the defeat of those ideas.

l

London

Moves
23 Nov 06

I wasn't aware that salvation was one of the intended properties of birth control.

Prejudice is always present and would be even if we were all god-abiding Christians. I'm as fearful of the intentions of religious figureheads as I am of secular ones on the subject of human nature; eugenics is just one of the issues of worry.

I'm not sure how that follows from what I've written.

Then there's some hope left yet. 🙂

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Actually, I was trying to have a discussion about the ideas expressed in the article concerning whether it is morally acceptable to attempt to bring humans with certain abilitites. This could be done or not done regardless of whether abortion and/or euthanasia were allowed so those issues are not relevant. You, as usual, have lapsed into making this some kind of personal thing. I'd rather stick to the topic myself.
Well, adress this matter then, marauder. What if the breeding fails and the human being in case will be deformed in one way or the other ? What should happen to this human being ?

l

London

Moves
23 Nov 06

No ivanhoe, they will be "bred" out of existence.