1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 06:38
    I don't know if this video is viewable outside Australia. It's a one-hour debate between Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion etc) and Cardinal George Pell (top man in the Catholic Church in Australia). Two very intelligent men and a discussion free from the non sequiturs that usually surface in these debates.
    The whole video is at http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/series/3421606 and if you can't see that there's a short clip at http://media.smh.com.au/news/national-news/god-v-science-pell-and-dawkins-go-headtohead-3200957.html
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 06:55
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I don't know if this video is viewable outside Australia. It's a one-hour debate between Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion etc) and Cardinal George Pell (top man in the Catholic Church in Australia). Two very intelligent men and a discussion free from the non sequiturs that usually surface in these debates.
    The whole video is at http://www.abc.net.au/ivie ...[text shortened]... edia.smh.com.au/news/national-news/god-v-science-pell-and-dawkins-go-headtohead-3200957.html
    (2 Corinthians 6:14-16) . . .Or what sharing does light have with darkness?  Further,
    what harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what portion does a faithful
    person have with an unbeliever?
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 07:08
    and your point is?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 07:321 edit
    and your point is?
    I think its self evident, but that's just me, so let me spell it out, what is there to debate with an unbeliever?

Please note its not an attack on non believers, its simply a matter of practicality, for
    shall they understand the teaching of the torture stake of the Christ, no, it simply
    foolishness to them, but to us, its a matter of salvation, shall we be convinced that our
    beliefs are a delusion, no, for nothing can separate a Christian from the love of God.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 07:411 edit
    I wonder if Dawkins felt the same way? Personally, I don't see any point in debating the differences between reason and faith, they're not in opposition. Still, not everyone agrees with us - the show drew a record audience from all over Australia.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 07:471 edit
    I wonder if Dawkins felt the same way? Personally, I don't see any point in debating the differences between reason and faith, they're not in opposition. Still, not everyone agrees with us - the show drew a record audience from all over Australia.
    sure thing, i guess its a matter of personal taste. Isn't like your PM an openly
    professed atheist, and a woman 😲, one of the few heads of state to declare her
    atheism, a very dangerous combination I hasten to add 😛
  7. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 07:52
    who in their right mind would call George Pell intelligent
  8. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 07:551 edit
    The whole video is at http://www.abc.net.au/ivie edia.smh.com.au/news/national-news/god-v-science-pell-and-dawkins-go-headtohead-3200957.html
    You know, the only person who comes out of this debate with any sense of integrity is the chairman! Both Dawkins and Pell come across as rather bumbling characters, albeit of immense intellectual stature. Dawkins is clearly harassed and on the defensive, Pell is rather too smug and laid back and we, the audience, know there will never be any consummation of the union. These are always interesting to watch as they sharpen and define our own views, but I doubt whether anyone onthe audience, or indeed watching, will have had a conversion!
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 08:06
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    ]consummation of the union.
    Unfortunate turn of phrase. For what it's worth, I would tune in to watch that.
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 08:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    sure thing, i guess its a matter of personal taste. Isn't like your PM an openly
    professed atheist, and a woman 😲, one of the few heads of state to declare her
    atheism, a very dangerous combination I hasten to add 😛
    Are you condemning her because of her lack of religious belief, or her lack of testicles?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 08:561 edit
    Are you condemning her because of her lack of religious belief, or her lack of testicles?
    both will do nicely 🙂
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 09:01
    So you prove yourself sexist as well as bigoted, it seems.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 09:141 edit
    So you prove yourself sexist as well as bigoted, it seems.
    Difficult as it is to determine emotions from an internet text, given lack of tone in voice,
    lack of facial expression, lack of gestures etc etc, the use of emoticons may prove to
    be a step for a hint! although it takes a degree of discernment on the part of the
    recipient to gauge to what extent the proposer is utilising them and in what manner. If
    my jocular approach and general light-heartedness has been misconstrued then so be
    it, in the immortal words of Dylan, call me anything you like, I will never deny it. If on
    the other hand you prefer something more meaty to chew upon, may i suggest a bar of
    French nougat, rather than remonstrate with this jester!
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 09:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Difficult as it is to determine emotions from an internet text, given lack of tone in voice,
    lack of facial expression, lack of gestures etc etc, the use of emoticons may prove to
    be a step for a hint! although it takes a degree of discernment on the part of the
    recipient to gauge to what extent the proposer is utilising them and in what manne ...[text shortened]... to chew upon, may i suggest a bar of
    French nougat, rather than remonstrate with this jester!
    But you do have women elders and leaders in your JW Kingdom Hall communities, right?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 09:301 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    But you do have women elders and leaders in your JW Kingdom Hall communities, right?
    Bible forbids it. 😲

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree