1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    04 Jan '18 04:11
    From Luke 9

    As they were going along the road, someone said to Him, “I will follow You wherever You go.” 58 And Jesus said to him, “The foxes have holes and the birds of the [ai]air have [aj]nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.” 59 And He said to another, “Follow Me.” But he said, “Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father.” 60 But He said to him, “Allow the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God



    How can dead people bury dead people?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35529
    04 Jan '18 04:16
    Originally posted by @eladar
    From Luke 9

    As they were going along the road, someone said to Him, “I will follow You wherever You go.” 58 And Jesus said to him, “The foxes have holes and the birds of the [ai]air have [aj]nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.” 59 And He said to another, “Follow Me.” But he said, “Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father.” 60 But ...[text shortened]... you, go and proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God



    How can dead people bury dead people?
    You know, you would probably be more effective on this forum in "proclaiming everywhere the kingdom of God" if you would simply cease using the Word of God as a weapon, a bludgeon to attempt to beat down those who do not subscribe to your rather twisted worldview.
  3. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    04 Jan '18 04:19
    Originally posted by @eladar
    How can dead people bury dead people?
    Well, I suppose if your superstitious belief system seeks to dehumanize people with different belief systems, you can say anything you want, call them anything you want, and believe whatever you want, and if that takes you down some ghoulish, misanthropic road to give you your partisan kicks, then your mumbo-jumbo can mean whatever you want it to mean. In the world I live in we live till we die, and the living bury the dead.
  4. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    04 Jan '18 04:20
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    You know, you would probably be more effective on this forum in "proclaiming everywhere the kingdom of God" if you would simply cease using the Word of God as a weapon, a bludgeon to attempt to beat down those who do not subscribe to your rather twisted worldview.
    How do you think 'dead people can bury dead people' as mentioned in Luke 9?
  5. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    110786
    04 Jan '18 06:00
    Originally posted by @eladar
    From Luke 9

    As they were going along the road, someone said to Him, “I will follow You wherever You go.” 58 And Jesus said to him, “The foxes have holes and the birds of the [ai]air have [aj]nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.” 59 And He said to another, “Follow Me.” But he said, “Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father.” 60 But ...[text shortened]... you, go and proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God



    How can dead people bury dead people?
    The first "dead" are metaphorically dead only.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35529
    04 Jan '18 10:461 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    How do you think 'dead people can bury dead people' as mentioned in Luke 9?
    Yes, BDP has it right, that the first 'dead' in this verse is metaphorical.

    I maintain that Eladar selected this verse because it speaks of those not following Jesus as 'dead', in much the same way as he called you a 'dead man' in another thread, and is thus using the Bible as a weapon to bludgeon you yet again. I also maintain that this is not a proper use of the Bible, especially by a Christian. I expect him to be along later to drive his point home.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86381
    04 Jan '18 10:57
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Yes, BDP has it right, that the first 'dead' in this verse is metaphorical.

    I maintain that Eladar selected this verse because it speaks of those not following Jesus as 'dead', in much the same way as he called you a 'dead man' in another thread, and is thus using the Bible as a weapon to bludgeon you yet again. I also maintain that this is not a prope ...[text shortened]... f the Bible, especially by a Christian. I expect him to be along later to drive his point home.
    Ah, an entire post of yours that I agree with 🙂
  8. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    04 Jan '18 11:15
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Yes, BDP has it right, that the first 'dead' in this verse is metaphorical.

    I maintain that Eladar selected this verse because it speaks of those not following Jesus as 'dead', in much the same way as he called you a 'dead man' in another thread, and is thus using the Bible as a weapon to bludgeon you yet again. I also maintain that this is not a prope ...[text shortened]... f the Bible, especially by a Christian. I expect him to be along later to drive his point home.
    Yes, I am well aware of the trip Eladar is on. But, as a Christian, looking at me, a non-Christian, do you believe I am - regardless of Eladar's intended willy-waving misanthropy - a "dead man", as in 'spiritually dead', or do you take something different from the words used in Luke 9?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    04 Jan '18 12:04
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    The first "dead" are metaphorically dead only.
    What do you mean metaphorically?
  10. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    110786
    04 Jan '18 15:24
    Originally posted by @eladar
    What do you mean metaphorically?
    It's an English word. You do speak English, do you not?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    04 Jan '18 20:131 edit
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    It's an English word. You do speak English, do you not?
    Jesus used it to describe people who will not inherit eternal life. I was wondering if you were correct, just using different words. That's why I was asking for clarification.

    Was it unloving for Jesus to call tjose who will not be found righteous the dead even though they are still alive?
  12. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    110786
    04 Jan '18 21:04
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Was it unloving for Jesus to call tjose who will not be found righteous the dead even though they are still alive?
    Yes.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35529
    05 Jan '18 08:341 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Yes, I am well aware of the trip Eladar is on. But, as a Christian, looking at me, a non-Christian, do you believe I am - regardless of Eladar's intended willy-waving misanthropy - a "dead man", as in 'spiritually dead', or do you take something different from the words used in Luke 9?
    This is not my judgement to make.

    Some Christians here puff themselves up and assume to speak for God. Usually they get some facet of God's will entirely wrong but convince themselves they are right because they see their actions and judgements as "in line" with what they read in the Bible. Or rather, their interpretation of what they read in the Bible.

    On the other hand, I do not speak for God. Not any more, anyways. At one time, when I was younger, I was also convinced that I had all the answers. Now I say to God, "Thy will be done, not mine."
  14. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    05 Jan '18 08:38
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    This is not my judgement to make..
    What do you think 'let the dead bury the dead' means? Is that a judgement that's yours to make?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35529
    05 Jan '18 08:43
    Originally posted by @fmf
    What do you think 'let the dead bury the dead' means? Is that a judgement that's yours to make?
    It means what it says. Who are those "walking dead"? Not my judgement to make.
Back to Top