1. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    03 Apr '05 23:57
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What do you mean with your second sentence?
    A fundamental law of logic says that any proposition is either true or false. "A cat is a feline" is either true or false. If it is true, it can not be false.

No scientific theory is consider a deductive proof. By that I mean that for any result to be a logically valid proof, it's conclusion must follow from it premises without exception. There is no alternative to the conclusion, the solution is perfect.

The inductive method of logic gives possible answers based on observation or experimentation - basically it lots of data. And the scientist, in effect, draws a best-fit curve through the data. The line does not hit all points on the curve. It may fit pretty good, but it doesn't account for all the points because we can't make absolutely perfect observations or measures.

Given that for any scientific theory (the line through the curve) always has a degree of error, than any line you draw that falls within the bound of the statistical error is considered a good fit. How many lines can you draw within the bonds of the error? The answer is you can draw an infinite number of lines. Thus there are an infinite number of reasonably good solutions to the data. Since there are an infinite number of good solutions (or scientific theories) to explain the data, then the mathematical probability for any one to be correct is 1/infinity .. i.e. 0. And the mathematical probability that is is false is 1, or 100%.

All that being said, I do not want to imply that all science is wrong. Most of it is pretty good. But to assert that science proves anything is really an act of faith.

And I would assert that to have faith in something, it is best to look at it critically. Some science is pretty bad. But the "true believers" in science think that you can call something "scientific" and that's all you need. "It's gotta be true because it's scientific."

Now consider the Theory of Evolution. It's difficult to put an equation to it, but if you could, considering the data it's based on, the line would look like it was drawn with a very fat crayon. The room for error is huge! And compared to sciences like physics, chemistry, and math - I'd say to put a lot of faith in TOE puts one on par with all other religious followers. Not to say a TOE-er is irrational, only more faithful.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree