1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 May '11 14:07
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Death anxiety? Seriously? Who ever died and then subsequently shared the tale with those living? What's there to fear?
    Death anxiety is felt by many of the living precisely because no one has ever died and then subsequently shared the tale with the living. What's there to fear? Answer: the unknown.
  2. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    27 May '11 19:503 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    "British evolutionary biologist Prof. Dawkins, like the majority of scientists, argues that life's origins are best explained by Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection. However, intelligent design advocates such as Prof. Behe, a U.S. author and biochemist, assert that complex biochemical and cellular structures are too complex to be explained by evolu ts..."
    where a distinction was made on what side of the discusion everyone was on.
    Kelly
    “..."British evolutionary biologist Prof. Dawkins, like the majority of scientists, argues that LIFE'S ORIGINS are best explained by Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection. ...” (my emphasis)

in this context, “ LIFE'S ORIGINS” is obviously meant to mean “the origins of species” and is obviously NOT meant to mean “ the beginning of life” (although, and I do not think I am being being pandemic here for complaining they should say “the origins of species” and not “ LIFE'S ORIGINS” here since that is clearly false. I think it is possible that Prof. Dawkins might have been misquoted here and may not have actually said “ LIFE'S ORIGINS” but not sure )

in your quote, you said:

“...spouts that evolution is accepted by all the proper people, those
    scientists that believe in evolution as the BEST EXPLANATION for THE BEGINNING OF LIFE ...” (spelling corrected, your quote, my emphasis)

which is incorrect because, obviously, none of them would think nor claim that evolution is an “ EXPLANATION” (let alone “the BEST EXPLANATION” ) for “ THE BEGINNING OF LIFE”. Evolution is not a theory on the beginning of life. (and not "life's origins" either hence my complaint with their quote)

And in what way does the link:

“.... belittles those that don't accept it, ...” ( your quote )

other than just by stating the facts?
  3. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    27 May '11 19:532 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Many people who are afraid of dying tell themselves that they are going to live forever.
    -hence religion (or at least one cause of it)
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 May '11 00:08
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    when will you and everyone else(like you) finally get it? evolution is only "the change over time in one or more inherited traits found in populations of organisms"(wiki). it isn't explaining how or why life began. an intelligent creator is not incompatible with evolution. you only wish your creator used magic to bring the world to be as opposed to a billio ...[text shortened]... e evolutionists who call you on your lack of understanding of the theory you argue against.
    Why don't you read the text we are talking about, I pulled the quote out of it.
    I'm aware of the differences between evolution and abiogenists.
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 May '11 00:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Which of course is a red herring, trying to deflect the argument about death anxiety.
    I didn't see anything new in the full post, you want to spell out what it is I
    missed?
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 May '11 00:11
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    “..."British evolutionary biologist Prof. Dawkins, like the majority of scientists, argues that LIFE'S ORIGINS are best explained by Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection. ...” (my emphasis)

in this context, “ LIFE'S ORIGINS” is obviously meant to mean “the origins of species” and is obviously NOT meant to mean “ the beginning of life” (al ...[text shortened]... ose that don't accept it, ...” ( your quote )

other than just by stating the facts?
    I quoted it as is, you can put your emphasis on whatever you want.
    I was asked why I said what I did in my first response, I simply posted the
    part that stood out for me.
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 May '11 00:13
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    -hence religion (or at least one cause of it)
    Some tell themselves they turn into nothing, neither know for sure they just
    hope they are getting it right. I'd also add that being right or wrong about
    that will not change what really happened with life and its beginning.
    Kelly
  8. Illinois
    Moves
    28 May '11 00:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I have no doubt the religious set will condemn this study and all others showing why ID is dreaming in the wind.
    On the contrary, what this study shows is that people who confront their mortality are more likely to seek meaning for their lives—not that intelligent design is false. How a belief is formed is irrelevant to its merits. By asserting otherwise, you commit the genetic fallacy.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 May '11 00:53
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    when will you and everyone else(like you) finally get it? evolution is only "the change over time in one or more inherited traits found in populations of organisms"(wiki). it isn't explaining how or why life began. an intelligent creator is not incompatible with evolution. you only wish your creator used magic to bring the world to be as opposed to a billio ...[text shortened]... e evolutionists who call you on your lack of understanding of the theory you argue against.
    The definition of evolution keeps changing over time and has
    different meanings depending on who is using it and in what
    context it is being used. They now have microevolution and
    macroevolution to confuse the issue. So the degree of change
    and how the change takes place is always the issue. If everyone
    who says they believe in evolution could agree on a definition and
    stick to it, we could discuss it more reasonably. However, this is
    not the case and I don't see it happening anytime in the near future.
    What was once called adaptation is now considered evolution to many.
    The same goes for mutations, if it is believed to be of some benefit to
    an organism. Loss of a function is sometimes considered evolution by
    some. In order not to be accused of believing in something I don't, I
    always say, I don't believe in evolution, period. My stand is that any
    change can be explained in some other term, since the term "evolution"
    can be so misleading.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 May '11 00:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    Many people who are afraid of dying tell themselves that they are going to live forever.
    But those who KNOW they're going to live forever are not afraid of death.

Fear of death is a good motivator. It signals to the one fearing death that something is drastically wrong. Death is a consequence of sin. Life is a consequence of faith in Christ. Through Christ one overcomes death.

God gave His Word. Believe it. Relieve your anxiety. 😉
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 May '11 01:01
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Live forever? How? In a "spirit-body" or some such?
    "Live forever? How?"

By trusting in Jesus. Exclusively.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '11 06:52
    Originally posted by josephw
    Fear of death is a good motivator. It signals to the one fearing death that something is drastically wrong. Death is a consequence of sin. Life is a consequence of faith in Christ. Through Christ one overcomes death.
    Thank you for this information about your personal hopes and speculations. You remind me of a poster called Dasa.
  13. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    28 May '11 15:101 edit
  14. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    28 May '11 15:14
    I quoted it as is, you can put your emphasis on whatever you want.
    I was asked why I said what I did in my first response, I simply posted the
    part that stood out for me.
    Kelly
    -And you are clearly wrong in claiming that it “.... belittles those that don't accept it, ...” ( your quote ) other than just by stating the facts. You still haven't explained that.
  15. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    28 May '11 15:25
    Some tell themselves they turn into nothing, neither know for sure they just
    hope they are getting it right. I'd also add that being right or wrong about
    that will not change what really happened with life and its beginning.
    Kelly
    “...Some tell themselves they turn into nothing, neither know for sure they just
    HOPE they are getting it right ...” (my emphasis)

you are seriously deluded if you really believe that. I for one do NOT “HOPE” to one day “turn into nothing” i.e. die 😛 . To suggest otherwise is to suggest a total absurdity; WHY would I want to “turn into nothing” ?
    And I DO “ know for sure” (using Occam’s razor) that I will “turn into nothing” and that is DESPITE obviously not liking it!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree