1. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    07 Jun '08 10:54
    http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat2.htm
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    08 Jun '08 11:09
    Originally posted by josephw
    http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat2.htm
    Very sad.

    So what?
  3. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    08 Jun '08 13:35
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Very sad.

    So what?
    What I was attempting to do with all these thread postings I got carried away with yesterday was to try to understand how evolution can explain human behavior.
    I started googling stuff like death rates, diseases, murders, crime, and whatever else I could think of to see the big picture of human existence.
    The Bible gives an explanation as to why this world is in turmoil, but I would like to know how it is that things should evolve the way it has if in fact evolution is true. It seems to me that if evolution is what is going on, then why is there so much pain and suffering? Why would things evolve in such a way? It seems to me that that there should be harmony and balance between even the smallest particles of matter, but instead there is violence and disorder between man.

    Why is this?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    08 Jun '08 13:44
    Originally posted by josephw
    What I was attempting to do with all these thread postings I got carried away with yesterday was to try to understand how evolution can explain human behavior.
    I started googling stuff like death rates, diseases, murders, crime, and whatever else I could think of to see the big picture of human existence.
    The Bible gives an explanation as to why this wor ...[text shortened]... est particles of matter, but instead there is violence and disorder between man.

    Why is this?
    If you read the bible, the whole one, not only the 'happy sections', you will see how many wars, how many genocides, how many deaths, approved by your god.

    Even today wars are conducted in the name of your god, and of people that call themselves christians.

    I say the god is the root of much of evil on the earth.
  5. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    08 Jun '08 14:081 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If you read the bible, the whole one, not only the 'happy sections', you will see how many wars, how many genocides, how many deaths, approved by your god.

    Even today wars are conducted in the name of your god, and of people that call themselves christians.

    I say the god is the root of much of evil on the earth.
    Yes, it's true. There are those who kill in the name of God. It's wrong isn't it?

    The Bible tells the story of God's involvement in the affairs of man, and in particular the nation of Israel. It's a relatively short history of about 1600 years. The numbers of peoples killed by the Hebrews in the old testament is rather small in comparison to the numbers of deaths attributed to the wars fought since that time.

    You need to get things in a clearer perspective. War is what it is. But to assign blame to God is a grave error. Or to wage war in the name of God. What idiot would do that?

    God isn't in the business of nation building today as He was with Israel.

    And by the way, it may be that I know the Bible better than you can imagine. Don't doubt it. That would be an error on your part. They hand out PHD's to people for spending a good deal less time in the study of a particular subject than the amount of time I've spent in the study of the Bible. And I still don't know enough!
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    08 Jun '08 14:161 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    What I was attempting to do with all these thread postings I got carried away with yesterday was to try to understand how evolution can explain human behavior.
    I started googling stuff like death rates, diseases, murders, crime, and whatever else I could think of to see the big picture of human existence.
    The Bible gives an explanation as to why this wor ...[text shortened]... est particles of matter, but instead there is violence and disorder between man.

    Why is this?
    If you think harmony and order are the order of the day with evolution, you fundamentally misunderstand evolution. Evolution is all about competition, and about relative gene balance. For example, when the pilgrims came to America they all but wiped out the local inhabitants and their unique genetic frequencies. This is evolution in action, as the Western European genes with their greater ability to tolerate diseases, plus their pure luck at being in an environment which promoted technological progress (an agricultural environment, due to Europe's East-West axis, as opposed to America's North-South axis, the East-West axis allows a much greater spread of agricultural crops and species, since the climate varies less), spread at the expense of other gene frequencies in the population.

    War is absolutely expected between social groups vying to pass on their shared genes.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    08 Jun '08 14:19
    Originally posted by josephw
    Yes, it's true. There are those who kill in the name of God. It's wrong isn't it?

    The Bible tells the story of God's involvement in the affairs of man, and in particular the nation of Israel. It's a relatively short history of about 1600 years. The numbers of peoples killed by the Hebrews in the old testament is rather small in comparison to the numbers o ...[text shortened]... he amount of time I've spent in the study of the Bible. And I still don't know enough!
    "The numbers of peoples killed by the Hebrews in the old teastament is rather small in comparison to the numbers of deaths atributed to the wars faught since that time."

    Sorry, but I don't think it makes any better to compare these god approved wars and a number of deaths with the sum of other wars. That means that a war today is totally okay if it's not in a greater scale? No, I certainly don't think so. Wars approved by god are approved by a blood-thirsty and evil god.

    "But to assign blame to God is a grave error. Or to wage war in the name of God. What idiot would do that?"

    Why? Haven't you read your bible? In some cases the wars are not only approved by god, but even helped by god. I don't think god is an idiot; he is evil in this sense. He has the power to stop wars in his name, but he doesn't. He doesn't care if we would put it mildly.

    "it may be that I know the Bible better than you can imagine."

    Then you know the passages in the bible where god approved the wars. Please tell me where it is. Count all the deaths and give me the sum of all deaths.

    God is evil. Don't doubt it.
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    08 Jun '08 14:21
    Originally posted by josephw
    Yes, it's true. There are those who kill in the name of God. It's wrong isn't it?

    The Bible tells the story of God's involvement in the affairs of man, and in particular the nation of Israel. It's a relatively short history of about 1600 years. The numbers of peoples killed by the Hebrews in the old testament is rather small in comparison to the numbers o ...[text shortened]... he amount of time I've spent in the study of the Bible. And I still don't know enough!
    You completely misunderstand and, in fact, denigrate the process of getting a PhD. A PhD is an original piece of research, where new ideas are generated and (normally) experimentally tested. It is very rigorous, with my own, for example, culminating in a 47,500 word thesis, of 242 pages, and 200 scientific references.

    On the other hand, I've read the Lord of the Rings through maybe 50 times. I don't believe in any way my encyclopedic knowledge of LOTR would entitle me to a PhD in it.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    08 Jun '08 14:24
    Originally posted by josephw
    War is what it is. But to assign blame to God is a grave error.
    But God has, many times, told people to wage war on others.

    He has also condoned infanticide and rape.
  10. weedhopper
    Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    8061
    08 Jun '08 14:59
    Originally posted by josephw
    They hand out PHD's to people for spending a good deal less time in the study of a particular subject than the amount of time I've spent in the study of the Bible. And I still don't know enough!
    And we all know what "PhD" stands for, eh Joe? Still, I try to be objective; just because someone has a PhD or any other letters strung out after their name, do your best to think no less of 'em. 😀
  11. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    08 Jun '08 17:35
    Originally posted by josephw
    What I was attempting to do with all these thread postings I got carried away with yesterday was to try to understand how evolution can explain human behavior.
    I started googling stuff like death rates, diseases, murders, crime, and whatever else I could think of to see the big picture of human existence.
    The Bible gives an explanation as to why this wor ...[text shortened]... est particles of matter, but instead there is violence and disorder between man.

    Why is this?
    Pain causes people to avoid things which will hurt their reproductive success. Natural selection explains why people hurt each other.
  12. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    08 Jun '08 20:24
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    You completely misunderstand and, in fact, denigrate the process of getting a PhD. A PhD is an original piece of research, where new ideas are generated and (normally) experimentally tested. It is very rigorous, with my own, for example, culminating in a 47,500 word thesis, of 242 pages, and 200 scientific references.

    On the other hand, I've read ...[text shortened]... I don't believe in any way my encyclopedic knowledge of LOTR would entitle me to a PhD in it.
    And you misunderstand that I was merely making an analogy.

    I applaud the achievement of gaining a PHD. I couldn't do it.

    You read the LOTR that many times? I read it twice, and that was enough. I didn't like the movie. Although it was good.

    But I have watched Nacho Libre about 20 times! 😳
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    08 Jun '08 20:281 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Yes, it's true. There are those who kill in the name of God.

    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    "The numbers of peoples killed by the Hebrews in the old teastament is rather small in comparison to the numbers of deaths atributed to the wars faught since that time."

    Sorry, but I don't think it makes any better to compare these god approved ...[text shortened]... okay if all the deaths and give me the sum of all deaths.

    God is evil. Don't doubt it.
    If you avoid to answer my questions, I must interprete that you agree in what I write?

    God is a blood thursty evil bastard! You have read the old testament so you know that too.
  14. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    08 Jun '08 20:41
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If you avoid to answer my questions, I must interprete that you agree in what I write?

    God is a blood thursty evil bastard! You have read the old testament so you know that too.
    You can interpret my failure to answer your questions any way you want.

    If you think God is evil, then you are beyond the point of being reasoned with. Go think about it for awhile until you come to your senses.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    08 Jun '08 20:47
    Originally posted by josephw
    You can interpret my failure to answer your questions any way you want.

    If you think God is evil, then you are beyond the point of being reasoned with. Go think about it for awhile until you come to your senses.
    So you don't have any answer? It is alright to kill thousands, tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands people and still being considered being loving and good? Please explain! If you can't, then you don't know, and if you don't know, then don't even pretend that you knw.

    You have just proved that god is evil. The answer should be obvious to tell. If it isn't then you've proven the fact.
Back to Top